introduction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jan horstmann

Reaction score
My Car
mustang grande 1973

corvette c4 1984 2x

porsche 924 1979
mustang grande 001.JPGHello, I am Jan Horstmann i come from Holland and just 3 weeks owner of a

Ford Mustang Grande 1973. coupe yellow-black

I buy it on marketplace for euro 4000,- a nice car with alot off work to do to make it in good condition.

right now i am tray to figer out way the back up lights are not working , i can not find the switch , i am wondering whatfore is the lever from gearbox to the steering columb ???? it turns a ring under the steeringweel when i put it in the back gear.

Welcome to the forums! We're glad to have you aboard!

::welcome::

Hi!

WOW that is BRIGHT YELLOW! Looks great!.

I think the backup switch is actually located on the transmission, not on the gear shift. But I am not 100% positive.

Welcome to the site! Great color and matching license plate too on your 73. Someone should be able to help with the backup light switch, just post up if its an automatic or a 3spd or 4 spd manual.

Is your car a automatic or manual?
the car is manual 3 gear all the switches i can find is the black one looking like a cigar with bushing. thats not what i have found on the gearbox.

My 73 Ford shop manual gives the following instructions for Back-Up Light Switch, 3-speed floor mounted manual transmission.

"Place the shift control lever in neutral and raise the vehicle on a hoist. Disconnect the switch lead wires at the connector, and remove the switch and bracket assembly (one retaining bolt) from the selector lever support bracket. Install a new switch, bracket and wiring assembly to the support bracket and connect the wires."

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
My 73 Ford shop manual gives the following instructions for Back-Up Light Switch, 3-speed floor mounted manual transmission.

"Place the shift control lever in neutral and raise the vehicle on a hoist. Disconnect the switch lead wires at the connector, and remove the switch and bracket assembly (one retaining bolt) from the selector lever support bracket. Install a new switch, bracket and wiring assembly to the support bracket and connect the wires."

Hope this helps!
HI ,on my gearbox brackets is no switch. the only switch i can find is in the middle of the aluminium gearbox housing it has an rubber connector 2 poles.

when i pull it off , i see 2 brass pins on the switch, when i connect a ohm meter to it i read in neutral no connection when i put the shifter in back,one,two or tree i see 0 OHM.

hope you now an solution

greating Jan.

Is your car a automatic or manual?
the car is manual 3 gear all the switches i can find is the black one looking like a cigar with bushing. thats not what i have found on the gearbox.
It should be mounted on the shifter where all the linkages meet up
Welcome from Uruguay in south América!! Im far too man!! This forum is a must for our mustang era Cars :)

About the backup light Roy here is right... My car is also a 3 speed manual and the switch is in the switcher... It is in fact a kind of push buttom that the shifter press when you put reverse...

I dont remember the way this wires take to get the light housing but i can check my car later to help you... If i were you ill start to check the obvios.... Bulbs, wires cutted or rusted contacts...

Hope it helps and welcome again!

Welcome Jan!

You wrote:

" i am wondering whatfore is the lever from gearbox to the steering columb ???? it turns a ring under the steeringweel when i put it in the back gear."

I remember the manual transmission cars had a safety mechanism built into the ignition switch where you had to put the transmission in Reverse (back gear) to turn the key to off position before removal.

I would guess this steering column ring you mention is to allow for this to occur.

Someone jump in "cannonball" to substantiate this for me (I hope).

Too many years ago! LOL

Ray

Welcome Jan!

You wrote:

" i am wondering whatfore is the lever from gearbox to the steering columb ???? it turns a ring under the steeringweel when i put it in the back gear."

I remember the manual transmission cars had a safety mechanism built into the ignition switch where you had to put the transmission in Reverse (back gear) to turn the key to off position before removal.

I would guess this steering column ring you mention is to allow for this to occur.

Someone jump in "cannonball" to substantiate this for me (I hope).

Too many years ago! LOL

Ray
You are absolutely correct ask 72rcode about his experience with that device

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-february-2011-cotm-72-r-code-mach-1-original-owner

I am a little late, but...

Hi Jan and welcome to the forum from your "almost neighbor" in Luxembourg! :D

::welcome::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back