AOD Trans crossmember

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdills

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
I was planning on a Ron Morris crossmember for the AODE I intend to install. In my build post, Eric mentioned that the one he bought didn't fit. Is there a different one out there that others have had good luck with?

Eric, how much modification did you have to do to your original?

Not horribly so.  Just had to notch it a bit to clear the AOD's pan.

Here's how poorly the Ron Morris bracket fit:

attachment.php

Here's the notch I made in the FMX cross member:

attachment.php

And it fits just like it's supposed to:

attachment.php

Since the cross member is 'U' shaped, there's plenty of meat left for the bracket to maintain its integrity.

Hope that helps!

Nope, the one from the FMX does not fit!

Here's what I used and it was a perfect fit and very sturdy at that!

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/crossmember-1967-to-1973-mustang-with-aod-transmission/
Do you not see my pictures with my original FMX cross member installed (after I notched it)?  :whistling:  :cool:

I actually picked up that Ron Morris cross member (first pic) from PATC when I ordered my stuff.  If they would've had the bracket you have available, I would've gotten one of those instead.

Thanks guys. I have updated my material list to the one Mike used.

Thx Eric for posting that info/picts.

From what I see on the link, for the +-€250 it would cost once at my door, when I'l install mine, I'll either make one or do the cut it as you did.

It's strange tho, just like @73pony, when I did some research on the subject, I've red many times that the original FMX fits with no mod.

Are there diffs in AOD shapes/bodies?

Last edited by a moderator:
My pleasure!

I agree - for that kind of money, I would just modify the FMX cross member and go from there.  You might improve on this by welding another layer of metal to the flat part of the bracket, as well as trim the edge on the right side of the notch (in the picture... it would actually be the driver side), since it rides a little close to the side of the transmission pan.

attachment.php

It doesn't actually touch, but it's really close.  I haven't seen any evidence of touching, but when I get a chance, I'll be trimming off the edge a bit.

Plus, I think it might be almost impossible to pull the pan without supporting the transmission and removing the cross member... let alone getting to that last bolt. rofl

Back