Newb

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airfido

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351 Tribute (H-code)
Greetings,

New to ponies, coming from the Mopar world.

Recent purchase:  1971 Mustang "H" code, Boss 351 Clone.

Has a 351C with "4V" heads, maybe a CJ (how do I tell?).

4 speed Toploader, with wrong shifter I think (offset to the left side).

Getting to know the car right now. 

It's in great shape, with a few minor electrical gremlins (brake lights).

Fun to drive!

Thanks,

JB

chamber of secrets film

Last edited by a moderator:
::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe!

I love Mopars myself. That’s why I dig the 123 convertibles. They look more like an E body than a Mustang. :)

Welcome over from the dark side, lol.

This link is to the best decoding site for Ford numbers I have ever seen. http://mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html

You need to look at your head casting numbers and block. All of the cleveland blocks 2 and 4 bolt have same number so you have to open it up to see if 4 bolt.

Ford quit calling the 351 4-V 4 bolt main cleveland a CJ mid year of 72. They also put smaller valves in the 73 and dished pistons. So probably a rough ranking of the 351 C would be as follows.

Boss 351 all the good things.

351 HO most of what the boss had few things dropped.

351 4-V Cobra Jet. Lots different from HO still a great engine.

351 4-V lots of drops in performance, due to cam timing heads and pistons. 73 had more pollution controls.

They are casting new 351 blocks in both Iron and aluminum.

351 H code 2-V has same block as 4 bolt can be machined to use 4 bolt caps.

There are Australian heads from their 302 that have the runner size of the 2-V but valves size of 4-V. Ford and some of the NASCAR guys made some different heads for the 351 but pretty scarce now.

Welcome over from the dark side, lol.

This link is to the best decoding site for Ford numbers I have ever seen. http://mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html

You need to look at your head casting numbers and block. All of the cleveland blocks 2 and 4 bolt have same number so you have to open it up to see if 4 bolt.

Ford quit calling the 351 4-V 4 bolt main cleveland a CJ mid year of 72. They also put smaller valves in the 73 and dished pistons. So probably a rough ranking of the 351 C would be as follows.

Boss 351 all the good things.

351 HO most of what the boss had few things dropped.

351 4-V Cobra Jet. Lots different from HO still a great engine.

351 4-V lots of drops in performance, due to cam timing heads and pistons. 73 had more pollution controls.

They are casting new 351 blocks in both Iron and aluminum.

351 H code 2-V has same block as 4 bolt can be machined to use 4 bolt caps.

There are Australian heads from their 302 that have the runner size of the 2-V but valves size of 4-V. Ford and some of the NASCAR guys made some different heads for the 351 but pretty scarce now.
Thanks David. Great info.

JB

Back