Conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hello all,

I joined a few months back but have been busy with family issues and trying to figure out how to post a thread.  As soon as I sent a message asking for help, I figured it out.  Anyway I purchased a 1972 Mach 1 last April on eBay.  It was very attractive in its pics.  When I asked the seller specific questions about it, he was curiously ignorant.  I didn't know if the was playing dumb or if he was just a poor clueless bastard.  Anyway I negotiated a "decent" price and with some difficulty, I managed to get a transport company to deliver for a thousand bills.  Upon first glance, it was all the pic said it was.....It was gorgeous!  Upon first drive around the block, it was a near disaster!  The brakes were mushy, the power steering cut in and out and the steering was so sloppy that I could barely keep the car centered as I drove between two parked cars on the street!  To boot, the interior was infested with MOLD!  Yikes!  What have I done???  Well, what's done is done....  I proceeded to park the car in the garage...VERY carefully.  Several guys from work (self proclaimed experts no doubt) came over and began to give this Mach 1 a complete physical exam.....including a prostate exam...sticking their fingers up the exhaust!  Okay guys OUT!  Come back later!  Anyway, the brakes being shot, I opened the master cylinder and there was only a half inch of sludge at the bottom of both reservoirs.  I put more power steering fluid in the pump and it all leaked out within a few weeks.  I have my work cut out for me.  Getting the right parts is a pain but I am determined.  I have since replaced the entire braking system....I upgraded the front with Wilwood discs, upgraded the rear drums with Summit Racing discs, replaced all the lines with stainless and nickel-copper.  Replaced the booster (which fell completely apart when I pulled the master cylinder).  Finding the right proportioning valve took some time.  I ripped out the seats and the carpet.  Had the rear seat completely rebuilt with new foam and vinyl and purchase new ProCar seats for the front.  I found that the steering gearbox was leaking like a sieve and it was replaced along with the rag joint, pitman arm, idler arm and all the tie rods.  This Mach 1 was an H code but the engine was rebuilt with an Edelbrock intake with and Edelbrock 4V carb.  It was a Ram Air but all the Ram Air accessories were gone.  The hood was and aftermarket replacement.  The entire body had been restored to better than new.  The original FMX tranny was gone but replaced with a C6 (thankfully).  I also replaced the original 2.75 diff with a 3.24 posi-trac.  BTW it has a 9 inch rear.  Now that I've thoroughly chewed yalls ears off......Here is my deal now.  I have grandiose plans to convert this H code monstrosity to a respectable Q code.  I have already aqcuired the OEM heads and intake and have the Autolite 4300D on order.   Will be ordering the roller rockers, cam, lifters and rods, etc.  Is there anything I need to do or be aware of??  The first pics are the ones from the ebay listing in Nebraska and the last one is in my driveway in Houston.

Hello and Welcome from Michigan. Ya, nice looking car in the photos. To bad you had that much stuff wrong when you got it, but sure sounds like you got it all fixed back up. Hopefully no more problems.

Welcome from Oregon.

Not sure why you want the 4300D, they require a lot of care to keep them running. By converting an H code to a Q code you're obviously not worried about originality or concourse. You would have better spent your money on an aftermarket manifold and a good Quickfuel, Holley or Summit carburetor.

Welcome to the Forum from North Carolina.

You really jumped into your project. Now some questions for you? In 1972 & 73 Ford dropped the optional color of Black from the list of colors, too much hand work. You could however order black by a Special Order. If your car was originally black and a Mach 1 then the chrome front bumper is correct. They did not have the correct paint for the rubber front bumper. I hope you looked for your build sheet when you took the interior out. The build sheet will list any special build items on the bottom half of the sheet. Your DSO code will also be 6 digits, first two numbers are the DSO and last four cover the Special Order. If you order a Marti he cannot tell you the color of your car he did not get the DSO Special Order Paint & Trim info. He can get you a copy of the window sticker and invoice that will list the Special Paint order which is usually around $85.00.

I am interested to know what you find. I have a Black 73 vert that was Special Order.

Welcome to the Forum from North Carolina.

You really jumped into your project. Now some questions for you? In 1972 & 73 Ford dropped the optional color of Black from the list of colors, too much hand work. You could however order black by a Special Order. If your car was originally black and a Mach 1 then the chrome front bumper is correct. They did not have the correct paint for the rubber front bumper. I hope you looked for your build sheet when you took the interior out. The build sheet will list any special build items on the bottom half of the sheet. Your DSO code will also be 6 digits, first two numbers are the DSO and last four cover the Special Order. If you order a Marti he cannot tell you the color of your car he did not get the DSO Special Order Paint & Trim info. He can get you a copy of the window sticker and invoice that will list the Special Paint order which is usually around $85.00.

I am interested to know what you find. I have a Black 73 vert that was Special Order.
Hey all, since this is not a daily driver, I still have a desire for the early 70's flavor of things.  According to the Marti report and what I have observed, there is very little original to this car except the rotten interior.  The Marti Report clearly states that this Mach 1 was originally white with an FMX tranny and a 2.75 diff.....and even that was not original according the fella that rebuilt the diff to a 3.25.  Anything back from the 70s has probably been wrecked and modified to the owners personal taste.  I have retained the Edelbrock 4V carb in the event that things dont work out with the 4300D.  The bumpers were obviously chromed to the then owners preference.  However, the body restoration was 97% first rate as I can see some misfires with the new floor pans but nothing that cannot be overcome.  I appreciate everyone's opinion and will take everyone's recommendation to heart when making critical decisions.  My machinist on the conversion will have the most influence since he has the experience and the expertise that I fully admit that I DO NOT have.  The DSO was Kansas City and was built in Dearborn on February 10, 1972 and was sold in Kansas City on September 27,1972.

Hello and Welcome from Michigan. Ya, nice looking car in the photos. To bad you had that much stuff wrong when you got it, but sure sounds like you got it all fixed back up. Hopefully no more problems.
Thanks Paz!

Thanks Q!

Welcome from Oregon.

Not sure why you want the 4300D, they require a lot of care to keep them running. By converting an H code to a Q code you're obviously not worried about originality or concourse. You would have better spent your money on an aftermarket manifold and a good Quickfuel, Holley or Summit carburetor.
Since its not a daily driver and I am getting this carb from a reputable rebuilder, I have confidence but I will still retain the Edelbrock 4V carb...just in case!

Hello from Mississippi. Even though that is not the original color, black just fits these cars like a glove. The urethane front bumper is another one of those Unicorn parts for our cars. None are being reproduced and finding decent used ones is becoming a challenge now. At least there is a chrome bumper option for those tired of looking for the urethane version.

It appears you have already done a lot of work to make this Mach1 road worthy. She sure looks great!

You'll find as a group we are more laid back than the 65-70 folks are. We respect that it's your car and you should "Decorate" to suit your taste. The only thing that would raise eyebrows here would be talk of Chevy powering a 71-73!!

Welcome to your new Mustang home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back