Temp and oil sending units??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GonHuntin

Reaction score
My Car
73 vert
Doing an engine swap on my sons '73 and I need a smaller sending unit that will work with the water temp gauge.......could also use a smaller oil pressure sending unit for the same car.

The engine going in the car has a 12mm thread where the water temp sender goes into the head.

I can use the factory oil pressure sender if necessary, but I'd really like to have something more compact.

Any ideas??

Any info on specification of the sending units so I can try to cross reference??

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
A coyote swap requires cutting out the shock towers which we do not want to do. An LS swap does not require any permanent changes to the car.

The real question should be, why did Ford build such an oversized, underpowered turd like the Coyote?? I mean, really, it's wider than a Boss 429 and requires boost to make any power!!! ;-)

Seriously, my son and I kicked this around for quite awhile.....we considered building a cleveland or 351 windsor, but he wanted an aluminum headed, roller cam motor with fuel injection. I have owned some cool fords including a street strip 12 second '67 fastback with cleveland and 4 speed back in the day. We couldn't buy a set of cleveland or windsor aluminum heads for what a complete used, all aluminum LS1 and T56 transmission cost!! He bought a complete running and driving LS, 6 speed Z28 donor car for $3k and he is recouping a lot of that as we part out the donor. The LS requires NO cutting of the mustang, is all aluminum, roller cammed, fuel injected, cheap to buy and will easily get 25+ mpg with the double overdrive T56......why wouldn't you use it??

If you look at the facts and get past brand loyalty, you would be stupid to choose the coyote over the LS. ;-)

5.0 Coyote a turd? Initially 412 HP and 390 lb-ft and currently 460 hp and 420 lb-ft out of 302 CI. I would certainly not call that a turd. Not blinded by blue oval loyalty. I wouldn't put a chevy engine in a ford and wouldn't put a ford engine in a chevy.

Also your 98 LS is only putting out around 300 HP.

Only 300hp stock?? Sorry, that's just not true........the '98 LS f-body cars actually dyno over 300 at the tires.......not that difficult or expensive to make more power than the Coyote. By the time the tuner gets finished with it, it will be making 375+ at the crank and a cam and spring change would easily put it over 400hp.......all for far less than the same mods on a coyote.

If the coyote is such a great swap.......why haven't YOU done it??

Look, I like older Ford muscle too.......but, I've done the math and two undeniable facts are clear......there is just no way you can put a coyote in the 71-73 without cutting it up.....and there is no way a coyote can make the same power as the LS for the same money. The LS will go in with no permanent changes to the car, will be dependable and make good power.......and the car won't care that it isn't powered by ford.

Tell you what, you do what you want to your car and we will do what we want to do to my son's car.

Now, if you have an answer to the question I initially asked, I'd appreciate your input, otherwise, it would probably be better if you ignored this thread.

No need to be so sensitive. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. To answer both of your questions.

If I wanted a coyote powered car I would just go buy a new mustang. Not interested in swapping out my Cleveland.

There is not a temp sender I am aware of that will work with your stock gauge and thread into 12mm. You would have to go with aftermarket gauge and sending unit or make/find an adapter to get to the 12mm to use the stock sending unit and gauge.

Hope this helps.

Also,

1. Don't tell me to ignore your thread or any thread for that matter, you put on here you are putting an LS into a Mustang and expect not to catch some shit for it?

2. You call the coyote engine a turd, which it is not and neither is the LS for that matter.

3. Also advertised stock Z28 Camaro in 1998 was 320 HP at the crank.

No need to be so sensitive. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. To answer both of your questions.

If I wanted a coyote powered car I would just go buy a new mustang. Not interested in swapping out my Cleveland.

There is not a temp sender I am aware of that will work with your stock gauge and thread into 12mm. You would have to go with aftermarket gauge and sending unit or make/find an adapter to get to the 12mm to use the stock sending unit and gauge.

Hope this helps.

Also,

1. Don't tell me to ignore your thread or any thread for that matter, you put on here you are putting an LS into a Mustang and expect not to catch some shit for it?

2. You call the coyote engine a turd, which it is not and neither is the LS for that matter.

3. Also advertised stock Z28 Camaro in 1998 was 320 HP at the crank.
Me sensitive.....I'm not the one griping about someone else's choices. You asked me why we weren't swapping in a Coyote, I gave you the reasons and you didn't like it. Get over it, it's not your car!

1. I did not post the choice of engine for the swap until asked by another member, I should have ignored his question, because it had no bearing on the question I asked. I did not start the thread taunting anyone or "asking for some shit" and I don't appreciate it coming from you or anyone else. Fact is, it's none of your business what we do with his car, I didn't ask your opinion of putting an LS into the car, you decided to put it out there where it was not invited or wanted. I think it's funny that you are more worried about the manufacturer of engine going in the car than you are about butchering it to make a coyote fit! 

2. The coyote engine is grossly oversize and overcomplicated for the cubic inches and the horsepower it produces. It reminds me of something the 

Germans would build......way over engineered for the performance it achieves.......it's kind of like the old Corvette LT5 ZR1 engine built by Mercury Marine......sure, it was a good engine, but it only made 405 hp in it's highest factory trim....way over engineered for the results.

3. Ok, so the advertised hp was 320.......there are lots of dyno results on stock '98 F-Body cars that prove that the engine was making more horsepower than advertised because the cars put down over 300 to the wheels.....fact is, they were putting out around 350 at the crank regardless of the "advertised hp rating". Do you think the Boss 429 really only made the 375 horsepower Ford advertised.....or do you believe the dyno testing that proved it made 600 or more?? How about the 428CJ that was advertised at 335 hp.....or the 1970 426 hemi which was advertised at 425hp but really made over 550??? It's fairly common knowledge that "advertised horsepower" is often fudged by the factory for various reasons.

Again, please ignore this thread if you don't like it....I didn't post it for you.

Perhaps a brass adapter could be rethreaded to make the OEM sender work. Just a thought. BTW the replacement sending units are notorious for being inaccurate. Chuck

Doing an engine swap on my sons '73 and I need a smaller sending unit that will work with the water temp gauge.......could also use a smaller oil pressure sending unit for the same car.

The engine going in the car has a 12mm thread where the water temp sender goes into the head.

I can use the factory oil pressure sender if necessary, but I'd really like to have something more compact.

Any ideas??

Any info on specification of the sending units so I can try to cross reference??

Thanks
 Ok guys, this has got way out of hand.

I can only offer a suggestion that might solve the original question, but first you didn't mention if it's for gauges or idiot lights. I assume gauges, but even then it would just be wire connectors unless they're mechanical. The oil sender for gauges is quite large if I recall, so I assume (hate that word!) it's that you are referring to. I know the idiot light sender is small as that's what I had on my car. The water sender on a 351C I think  is a 3/8 NPT thread and the oil outlet on the block is 1/4 NPT. I say this with reservation as I'm going from memory. The point is you may be able to find an adaptor or perhaps you can get one made up.

It looks like Chuck just replied with the same thought.

Hope you get what you want out of this without any more trash talk between members. We're all in this as a hobby and it's supposed to be fun. I know that with the group of guys I hang out with, we are always jibing each other about our Fords or Chevy's or what have you, but we NEVER take anything seriously. That's all part of the fun and it stays that way.

Geoff.

With all due respect, but if the guy wants to install an LS let respect it. I understand some of the reasons, due to the low cost of LS swaps and large availability of parts. Not everyone may want to leave their cars all Ford and by no means it is a requirement to be part of this forum. Lets be open to other ideas guys. It is one thing to give him a hard time but lets not take it personally. I typically dont get involved in these rifts but today i decided to add my 2 cents.

Now, going back to the original question, I think the best bet is to find an adapter from 12mm to the NPT thread of the OEM adapter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

With all due respect, but if the guy wants to install an LS let respect it. I understand some of the reasons, due to the low cost of LS swaps and large availability of parts. Not everyone may want to leave their cars all Ford and by no means it is a requirement to be part of this forum. Lets be open to other ideas guys. It is one thing to give him a hard time but lets not take it personally. I typically dont get involved in these rifts but today i decided to add my 2 cents.

Now, going back to the original question, I think the best bet is to find an adapter from 12mm to the NPT thread of the OEM adapter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
 Tony, I completely agree. My thoughts exactly. I too was very hesitant to get involved with this one, but it needed to be said.

What we tease each other a bit with is one thing, done it myself, but outright nastiness has no place here in my humble opinion.

Geoff.

Back