Salvaged SoCal Metallic Pewter 1972 Mach 1 351C 2V

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcueva88

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Fastback Restomod

351 Cleveland
Hey y’all! The craigslist barter system brought me to a silver 1972 Mach 1 ; 351 Cleveland 2 barrel, Michigan girl. Salvage title but body is straight, 20 year old paint and restoration, I work as a seasonal firefighter and finally got laid off in November so I’ve been blasting through gutting it , ordering parts like crazy and it somehow sees no end? Needless to say, my favorite moneypit so far.

Originally it was to be put to its old glory days with the red vinyl interior, but I’ve taken so many turns on the internet with ideas I feel like just going with what I like and not being so traditional or purist  and I just hate the color red so much on my favorite interior color scale. I’m going all black with some tan aftermarket seats.

I got it from a guy in San Diego and he never did anything with it. Other than starting it every now and then. It will now reside in Glendora, CA hopefully it won’t rust anymore after this relocation.

As far as this month I’ve gutted it and shop vacced 4 mice nest (they hid everywhere and chewed through all my flasher relays!), noise deadened the entire cab/trunk/doors, restretched the headliner, washed and tinted all the windows, sealed the rear window and quarter windows. 

I’m about to get started on the dash while the windshield is still out, which is very nice to work on the dash with the windshield out. Anyways before I get rambling just wanted to introduce myself. I’m looking forward to some harsh criticism and am optimistic about this never ending project.

Paperwork is a pending salvaged vehicle title, also  pending light inspection( hence why it doesn’t have an official title just a salvage title application. 

Hello and Welcome from Michigan. Looks like a great car to get back into shape. Nothing wrong with changing interior to color you like. Do what you want to it and have fun!

Thanks for the feedback![emoji57] Its been fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you have a decent car to start with, and you're off to a great start to make it yours.

Any idea what the reason is for the salvage title? I'm guessing front or rear damage due to the light inspection requirement.

Thank you for your firefighter service. Been a tough year for CAL FIRE, USFS, and BLM.

Welcome from Oregon

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it a salvaged title?

Great color, my personal favorite.

Which dash pad is that. I need one badly.

Looks like you have a decent car to start with, and you're off to a great start to make it yours.

Any idea what the reason is for the salvage title? I'm guessing front or rear damage due to the light inspection requirement.

Thank you for your firefighter service. Been a tough year for CAL FIRE, USFS, and BLM.

Welcome from Oregon
Thank you for the support, it really is a great motivator in our line of work.

I believe the salvage title was mainly because body related damage. The passenger quarter panel has had a gallon of filler applied prior to paint and the wiring I’m pretty sure now it’s from the wires near flashers and relays being chewed on. Bumper brackets and taillight panel are warped due to quarterpanel damage most likely.

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181214/11aee3ae3721f327b05d92f884ee34dc.jpg[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it a salvaged title?

Great color, my personal favorite.

Which dash pad is that. I need one badly.
Thank you,! And yes I definitely love the metallic and sheen look.

It’s most likely salvaged from a rear end/side impact collision on the passenger quarter panel and bumper. The bumper brackets/bumper are warped and but quarter panel was well filled and refinished with bondo.
spacer.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

The dash pad IS very nice and is recommend it over restoring the cracked old one.I even sold the old cracked one to help buy the new one. Got it from CJ pony parts for $150.00 shipped.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/dash-pad-reproduction-1971-1973/p/PAD5-V/

Back