Dual drilled a test wheel for the Mustang today.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
I have been contemplating a few different wheel options lately.  For a long time I wanted to go with the Minilite style wheels made by Team Three in San Leandro.  

Recently I saw these Method Race wheels and I dug them.  Loads of caliper clearance, plus they are pretty cheap at about $160 each if you shop around.  The wheels are 17x8.5" 4.75" backspacing.  The wheels are not offered in 5 on 4.5", I tried calling Method to see if I could buy "blank" wheels or possibly custom drill a set for me… Answer was "NO".  I'm not sure they get that the muscle cars of the past basically use modern pickup offset wheels.  Seems like if they chose to sell some in 5 on 4.5" people might buy them.

I'm too stubborn to go with "No", so I decided to buy some 5 on 5" wheels and dual drill them.  I don't really like the dual drilled look (a bit "tuner"), later on I might try to fabricate up some sort of custom cap.

Cover your eyes if you don't like people fooling with wheels.  Sound methods were used, trigonometry, proper tooling, milling machine with a decent DRO.  It 

\

Nothing wrong with drilling them again if it saves you time, money and gets you what you want.

Here is my Mach 1 that is 5-H Medium Brown Metallic with Brown vinyl roof from factory.

I ran double drilled flywheels where pressure plate holes stripped out. I was always milling, drilling, grinding or turning on something on my cars. I was tool & die maker and they let us use shop on weekends if we wanted. I had a pair of angle plates I could bolt to the ends of a head indicate in and put on wet grinder and grind perfect. Use to turn weight off flywheel and then had a fixture that bolted onto the crank mount area and would Blanchard grind it. Also built fixture to do pressure plates and grind them on Blanchard.

(Emeril Lagasse voice)

BAM!

Got a couple test subjects done.  Tires are almost 26" tall.  I really think this is going to work out.  I have the coil overs up front set lower than I will when I am done, back will probably need to be dropped a bit, but I am not doing any more with the suspension until the car is back up to together weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back