Thompson Powerblast Plate

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it would be nearly impossible to test it on a dyno, plus the fuel from the squirters gets atomized anyway, it just gets atomized a few inches further down into the carb. If ones car does not carburete properly, this will not fix it.

Yes interesting infomercial and was waiting for the free steak knives at the end lol

The idea seems sound and if it really does improve throttle response then could be worth a try but at 60% off or $40USD for a bit of brass it's understandable many would be skeptical so would be interested if any members have actually tried this gadget

I agree, there's a long way for the fuel to get atomized. I would be concerned about have a thin piece of brass fluttering in the breeze, and how long it will take to fail, and having some extra metal going past the intake valves, through the cylinder, and past the exhaust valves without holding a valve open or wedging between a piston and the head.

In the video they would just give the throttle short bursts when demonstrating without the device, and then hold the throttle open longer and further to show the device off.

The effects from the accelerator pump are very short, and only effect the initial opening of the throttle blades while the speed of the air entering the venturies accelerates enough to begin pulling the fuel out of the bowls.

Here’s my thoughts. This goes along with what Don mentioned. I would be concerned about it coming loose and getting sucked into the intake. If anyone remembers the old Chevy 4.3 vortec engines in the late 90’s. They had an small Venturi attached to the throttle blade designed to do the same thing. Help the fuel atomize better. Well they had an issue with them coming loose. I had a 97 blazer that this happened to. Got sucked in and stuck in the #2 intake valve. It had 120k on it and GM still paid to have it fixed. No official recall on this but they knew it was an issue. Although II think if someone had a hesitation issue due to rich condition on transition to WOT and didn’t know how to properly adjust their carb this may help that issue some but I would not trust it.

In the video they would just give the throttle short bursts when demonstrating without the device, and then hold the throttle open longer and further to show the device off.
I noticed that as well, the throttle opening varied considerably each time they goosed it. Oh so scientific. Put a throttle stop on there, actuate it it via a CNC servo and show me a mapped graph of throttle position, and rpms over time, then maybe I'll believe this does anything at all. Simply a crummy video down the air horn of you booting the gas in your Chucks proves nothing. 

I knew I was in for a good laugh in the first ten seconds with the quality of the video....

Since I was a stamping tooling engineer I figure it cost them about $.05 each for the multislide stamping. Very little to no tooling cost not a dedicated die. That is pretty great profit I would say.

Don't see how it would help a racer. You don't usually sit there with the throttle closed to start, lol.

Another gimmick they sold in the 70's was a plate that went under carb to heat the fuel going in which takes power away if anything.

If you order get two for the price of one just pay a special handling fee and separate shipping, lol.

Ok. I'll play devils advocate.

Even at WOT....wouldn't a spray be better than a stream?
The accelerator pump circuit is only in play until the pump shot is exhausted as you transition to WOT. Once at WOT the accelerator pump plays no role.

By the time the throttle is wide open the accelerator pump nozzles have quit squirting and the main discharge nozzles have enough air flow past them to provide all of the fuel needed. The main nozzles already discharge atomized fuel.

This gimmick just splashes the fuel from the accelerator nozzles around. The only possible effect it has on the main nozzles is to disrupt the air flow over them, reducing the effectiveness of the main nozzles.

Yes interesting infomercial and was waiting for the free steak knives at the end lol
That's hysterical because my dad was the king of getting things for free. He would even go to sales pitch seminars just to get a free toaster or something and actually got a free microwave oven at one, and yes, he got a lot of free steak knives with the "artisan crafted faux wood handles", lol.

Nothing but a rip off, what a joke. But I did get a good laugh from the cheesey video!
Yeah it was hilarious, maybe the guy should have hired spielberg, lol.

images

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody remember when you supposedly could drop moth balls in your gas tank to improve performance? Enough of them could increase the octane rating, the problem was plugged jets, not to mention anemia from handling too many of them.

Back