351c 2v headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy59

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang 351C 2v
hey , im new on here, have no idea if im posting in the right spot.. but i have a question. I have a 71 mustang with a 351c 2v in it.. but the vin says it came stock with a 302. Now it has power steering and an automatic tranny on the floor.  the block is a DOAE J . Im trying to figure out what ...if any headers will fit on it and clear the steering box and everything else. not much room on the drivers side engine bay. its all stock on the 351 engine as of now, but like i said the car came originally with a 302.  I believe it has a C4 in it also. any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I just want to get it right the first time. 

hey , im new on here, have no idea if im posting in the right spot.. but i have a question. I have a 71 mustang with a 351c 2v in it.. but the vin says it came stock with a 302. Now it has power steering and an automatic tranny on the floor.  the block is a DOAE J . Im trying to figure out what ...if any headers will fit on it and clear the steering box and everything else. not much room on the drivers side engine bay. its all stock on the 351 engine as of now, but like i said the car came originally with a 302.  I believe it has a C4 in it also. any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I just want to get it right the first time. 

Welcome from Houston Texas!  Nice ride!  I have a 351C in my 72 Mach 1 with 2V heads, etc.  I plan on upgrading my H code to a Q code with OEM heads and intake purchased on eBay.  I also plan on using Sanderson headers.  They are the only ones that I found that will work with power steering and have no clash with the shock towers.  They have a 2V adapter that would need to be purchased as well.  NO GASKET though....just permatex black.  Anyway you can purchase these on Stangaholics.com.

Welcome from Amsterdam, the Netherlands! That's a nice Grande you got, I like the colors and that it's still got the vinyl top,

There's a lot of knowledge on this forum, I'm sure people will answer your questions :)

Power steering clearance in a 71-73 is a non-issue. That's a 65-70 problem which is due to the external assist ram. 

I've had excellent luck with Hooker Comp headers, and they are the only sub-$500 headers for a 71-73 that clear the factory Z-bar in manual  trans applications. Two other pluses with these headers; a nice thick head flange and the collector flange is welded in place. No more changing collector gaskets because movement in the system sawed through the gasket. Most bolts can be installed with a socket as well. Passenger header goes in from the top, driver's side has to come in from the bottom unless you jack the engine for clearance. 

4V headers

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-6915hkr

2V headers

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-6921hkr/applications

I purchased a 73 vert 351 C with 2-V heads and had headers already on it with no clearance issues. It has P.S., Air, and PO had changed the FMX to a C-4 and still clears there also.

The other 72 vert I bought came with headers and had 351 - C 2-V and had ceramic coated headers and Pypes exhaust. They did put about a 1/2" spacer between floor and the heavy plate that joins between each side on a vert. No clearance issues on it either. It was a 3 speed.

BTW they did not make 351-C with C4 but they do fit. Well they did make 1 one FB in 1971 and 2 two verts in 1973. Another odd ball was they only made one 73 Q code with an FMX.

Nice looking car you have and welcome to the forum from N.C..

Back