Looking for window crank knobs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Grande
Can any one tell me where to find the correct style window crank knobs for my '73 Grande?

I ordered from CJ Pony parts and the ones they sent were incorrect.

In the photo, the knob on the right is correct. It has a recess on the back that fits over the top of the crank handle.

The one on the left is one I ordered.

I've looked at several sites online (OMS, Bill's, NPD, etc.) and can't find the right ones. Or at least I can't tell if they are correct because only the front of the knob is shown so I can't tell if it has the recess.

I appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

Mike

mjseakan, from early 72 production (from 10/1/71)  and forward, Ford switched to a window handle with a non-replaceable clear knob. The new clear knob you purchased  is something the aftermarket parts vendors have come up with that fits the before 10/1/71 handle. You are going to either have to purchase a new 72-73 style handle  with the permanent  knob or a 71 style handle that accepts the separate knob.

I am out of town for Christmas until the first of the year, so without my reference notes I'm not 100% sure of the exact dates, but they should be close. The majority of the  1972 (10-1-71-forward) style handles still used the handle with the decal covering the screw hole. (Sourced from the 72 Gran Torino)

During the 73 model year (approx 4/73) the handle was replaced with the full size Ford handle that had an open screw hole (can I say that here)?! and no longer used a decal.

71 Style Handle

72 Style (10/1/71 forward)

73 Style from (approx 4/73)

Hope this helps you figure out what you may have!      :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mjseakan, from early 72 production (from 10/1/71)  and forward, Ford switched to a window handle with a non-replaceable clear knob. The new clear knob you purchased  is something the aftermarket parts vendors have come up with that fits the before 10/1/71 handle. You are going to either have to purchase a new 72-73 style handle  with the permanent  knob or a 71 style handle that accepts the separate knob.

I am out of town for Christmas until the first of the year, so without my reference notes I'm not 100% sure of the exact dates, but they should be close. The majority of the  1972 (10-1-71-forward) style handles still used the handle with the decal covering the screw hole.

During the 73 model year (approx 4/73) the handle was replaced with the full size Ford handle that had an open screw hole (can I say that here)?! and no longer used a decal.

71 Style Handle

72 Style (10/1/71 forward)

73 Style from (approx 4/73)

Hope this helps you figure out what you may have!      :)

*************Was just looking on this forum where the "MOTOR CITY MUSTANG" site is.

They have a bunch of different cranks available.

not sure if they're what you're looking for though***********

scluff,

Thanks for the info. It's very helpful. Based on the images you sent and my build date of 11/72 it looks like I have the 72 Style.

So it looks like I have to buy the 72-73 style. I'll check out Motor City Mustang.

Thanks again,

Merry Christmas

Mike

scluff,

Thanks for the info. It's very helpful. Based on the images you sent and my build date of 11/72 it looks like I have the 72 Style.

So it looks like I have to buy the 72-73 style. I'll check out Motor City Mustang.

Thanks again,

Merry Christmas

Mike
I have a very original early September 72 built car and it has the 72 style crank with the round cover over the mounting screw.

WCCC has these on their website.... https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/window-crank-used-1972-1973-mercury-cougar-/-1972-1973-ford-mustang-clone.html?attribs=84

Reproduction window crank used on front doors of cars produced after 10-1-71 with no factory door speakers.

Replaces Ford part number D2AZ-7630322-A

Originals have a casting number of D3AB-6523342-AA.

scluff,

Thanks again,

Merry Christmas

Mike
I have a very original early September 72 built car and it has the 72 style crank with the round cover over the mounting screw.

WCCC has these on their website.... https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/window-crank-used-1972-1973-mercury-cougar-/-1972-1973-ford-mustang-clone.html?attribs=84

Reproduction window crank used on front doors of cars produced after 10-1-71 with no factory door speakers.

Replaces Ford part number D2AZ-7630322-A

Originals have a casting number of D3AB-6523342-AA.

rackerm,

I wish I had seen your bottom image before I ordered the knobs I bought. I would have saved me a few dollars.

I'm pretty sure the Bronco knobs are the same as what I ordered, based on the washer and 'stud' in the picture.

I guess I'll just pickup the complete crank.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

I am surprised they don't offer the correct style knobs for the later 72-73 cranks. I know I bought them many years ago but I can't recall if they were ford or repro.

Very good info!  I never thought about the different ones.  And then to know that the deluxe interior cars received different ones. WOW.  My 72 convertible built July 29, 1972, has the deluxe interior (duh - all verts in 72 and I believe 73 did) Anyway I know my window cranks are original but the knobs are very darkly yellowed.  

It seems like I remembered they were clear but not exactly like some I have seen being reproduced.

:chin:

I'll try and take a pic or two.

Ray

Ray, due to constant changes by Ford and others brought on by our ever watchful Government, there is plenty of room for confusion. There were not different window crank  handles for standard and deluxe interiors. Any 72 or 73 Mustang that left the assembly line with a clear knob on the window crank handle were not replaceable. Ford NEVER released a service part for the clear knob. What you see on the market now is a aftermarket concoction for the 71 and prior handle which was sourced from the 69 Econoline.    

Starting with early 72 production (10/1/71 and forward), Ford switched to a window handle with a non-replaceable clear knob. This handle (D2OZ-6523342-A) was sourced from the 72 Gran Torino and had a clear non replaceable knob and used a decal to cover the screw hole.    

During the 73 model year (approx 4/73) the handle was replaced again with the full size Ford handle (D3AZ-6523342-A) that had a clear non replaceable knob and an open screw hole and no longer used a decal.

The 71-73 Cougar window crank handles were changed on the same dates as the Mustang but for some reason used a shorter handle sourced from the full size Ford convertible. May of had something to do with the shape of the Cougar door and trim panels. My cousin which owned the only 71-73 model year Cougar in the in the family recently sold his 73 XR-7, so nothing to look at.

See Ray....Just as clear as muddy water!

Hope y'all had a Merry Christmas.

Now that I know what to look for, the correct front window cranks aren't that hard to find. The rear cranks seem to be a different story though. They're about 3/4 the length of the front.

I think I saw them on one of the many sites I checked out for the front cranks but I can't find them again!

Mike

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

mjseakan, the qtr window handles are a little harder to find.

Although the short handle was used on some other Ford car lines, guess the demand isn't enough for the reproduction people. Unless you know of some salvage yards close to you that still has some 70's cars I would be wasting your time listing the other vehicles this handle fit. The part number you need to search for is D2AZ-7630322-A which is a handle sourced from the full size Ford Vert for the qtr windows. The link I'm going to post shows some locations that MAY have that part. According to the site their inventory was updated today (12/27/18). Don't know what kind of $$ they are thinking, but it wouldn't hurt to contact them and see how proud they are of their parts!! https://www.rearcounter.com/D2AZ-7630322-A-parts61695.html        :)

Unfortunately, I sold a set of 73 rear handles a few months back. I have seen others use the front (long) handles on the rear, but they are tight up against the rear quarter in the 9 O'clock position. Most folks can't tell the difference. You could test it and if it will work on yours. The rears also use a chrome plastic washer-like disc between the handle and the panel.

Unfortunately, I sold a set of 73 rear handles a few months back. I have seen others use the front (long) handles on the rear, but they are tight up against the rear quarter in the 9 O'clock position. Most folks can't tell the difference. You could test it and if it will work on yours. The rears also use a chrome plastic washer-like disc between the handle and the panel.

I thought about using front cranks on the rear. My original rear cranks are good enough to use until I run across replacements.
Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Bumping a 1 year + old thread....

Ran into the same knob replacement issue. I have the '72' style handles with the "volcano" end for the knob........but missing the knobs. Made the same move as other folks and purchased knobs that are listed to fit "68-73", but they don't. In fact, the original label in the repackaged knobs state they are for a 65-67. Still trying to get an RMA for the return.

So the question now is, since I can't source replacement knobs, and I still want to go with original Ford part.....do the '73' style handles (After 4/73) with the exposed screws, still have the "volcano" end where the knob sets? I don't want to buy original parts if when the knob breaks I am still stuck with a handle that can't be repaired. How long did that style stay in production?

Trying to decide if I move forward or backward in time, or just get a repop that has parts support.

Back