Rear Louver

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
Hi

I looking for louvers for my Mach 1

Ive found one at Summit racing and onther one at Astra Hammond. Has anyone tried one of theese ? Ive also read something about someone who modified a louver from a 70 to fit.

Regards Rob

The one at Summit looks to be the same as the one from CJ.

Biggest problem with louvers on the 71-3 sportsroof is the trunk lid hinges up over the bottom of the rear window. The lowest "slat" needs to be low enough to clear it, almost flat with the glass, or you have to lift the louver assembly to open the trunk. Hard to tell if either of those listed are correct in this regard, but it doesn't look like it. Might want to get 100% verification on that before shipping it to Sweden.

Whatever you do, skip the ABS plastic ones - yuck!

Here’s a side by side comparison of my 72 and a 70 with the louvers. See how mine doesn’t go all the way to the bottom of the window and the 70 does. They used to make a set of louvers for the 71-73’s that went all the way down, but not anymore. The only aluminum ones I could find are like the ones on my car. I still like them, plus they cover up my crappy scratched up rear window. And I don’t really think that they block any visibility. Hope this helps with your decision, Good luck!

[attachment=48381]

Great thanks all :)

The one I have seen IRL in sweden is a short version it doesnt cover the last piece of the window. So Il Think I go with the one from Summit :)

Thanks all again

Regards Rob

Great thanks all :)

The one I have seen IRL in sweden is a short version it doesnt cover the last piece of the window. So Il Think I go with the one from Summit :)

Thanks all again

Regards Rob
Rob, I believe the one from Summit is the same as on my Mach in the picture. I searched every place that sells them new and none go all the way to the bottom of the window. I wanted the old style too, but they just don’t make them anymore. I got these about 2-3 years ago, and I still have yet to see any like the old style.

Mine are from Summit Racing.  I added a small piece of windlace on each side of the bottom slat just in case the trunk lid reaches all the way up... but it doesn't.  The lid's full-open travel comes up a few millimeters short.  Better safe than sorry, though.

Sorry for the huge pic, but it's hard to see on the smaller version.

attachment.php

Mine are from Summit Racing.  I added a small piece of windlace on each side of the bottom slat just in case the trunk lid reaches all the way up... but it doesn't.  The lid's full-open travel comes up a few millimeters short.  Better safe than sorry, though.
Thanks Il do something similar with windlace stuff. I Think the louver really adds the last finishing touch on the Mach 1

Regards Rob

I have a pair of Hammond Louvers from the 1980's..  As described above, they do not allow the trunk to open the whole way/  I liked them aside from that fact.

If you have louvers like mine you can always put a little stop block in the trunk above the Hinges so the trunk stops before hitting the louvers.

kcmash

I bought the ones from Summit and they are perfect out of the box. Never had any clearance issues with the trunk lid!

Gesendet von meinem E6633 mit Tapatalk

Great Thanks :)

I bought the ones from Summit and they are perfect out of the box. Never had any clearance issues with the trunk lid!

Gesendet von meinem E6633 mit Tapatalk
That's because they removed one of the louvers to allow for trunk lid clearance.

-Summit-Racing-SUM-WL10556-2017511133020386.jpg

Thanks Il do something similar with windlace stuff. I Think the louver really adds the last finishing touch on the Mach 1

Regards Rob
I have been debating buying louvers for a long time. I "think" I like them but I am still unsure. I know this is a matter of personal preference. One day I will have to spend the money and try them. If I could only find a car nearby that I can see in person..... maybe that will finally convince me. Also, if you see my car, the spoiler is argent and I wonder how will it look.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're still looking to buy some I know summitracing has some cheaper priced ones with the bend in them for the trunk clearance

If you're still looking to buy some I know summitracing has some cheaper priced ones with the bend in them for the trunk clearance

Yes I checked summit yesterday, and its out of stock, will ship in 3-4 weeks. Jegs has the Astra Hammond version and it looks just the same as summits version.

Regards Rob

Back