Your top 5 7123 improvements

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey folks!

I’m curious what you consider to be the best 5 upgrades to our cars. Could be for better drivability, performance, safety etc.

Let’s hear it! :)

Cheers,

Vincent.

The top 5 mods for my car are:

1. Adding the coupe winder mechanisms to the fastback so the rear quarter windows roll down.

2. A small subtle reverse camera mounted near the passenger sun-visor that points back to the passenger side blind spot (way less stress when changing lanes or merging in a right hand drive country)

3. Replaced upper control arms with mid-1970's to mid-1980's Australian Ford Falcon control arms, these are exactly the same configuration as Mustang control arms but have rubber bushes rather than the Mustang metal on metal standard variety, so a softer ride and no more squeaking.

4. Disc brake conversion kit (got them, but not yet installed)

5. Plasma tail light globes that doubled the brake and blinker light output.

1. Upgrade from FMX to Modern 5 Speed. Makes for an entirely different car and driving experience.

2. Upgrade front disc breaks to larger willwood set up. Really brings the car to a stop quickly.

3. Replace entire front suspension with new moog components including boxing in the lower control arms, a much larger anti-sway bar, and heavier 1” lowering springs. The car handles 100x better.

4. Upgrade my steering box to a quick ratio box.

5. Engine and rear end upgrades. Aussie 2v heads, cam, intake, etc and 3.70 locker rearend.

Lowering the center of gravity by lowering suspension.

Modern tires (usually means bigger rims)

LED dash lights

Electronic ignition (get rid of points)

Relays for the high beams

Five things Hmmm, Only 5!

1/ Power steering.

2/ Power disc brakes up front. SSBC 4 piston.

3/ All LED or SMD lighting, inside and out.

4/ New front suspension, albeit stock replacement,

5/ Replaced all the fuel system to cope with Ethanol crap fuels. Fortunately I can still get most of my gas Ethanol free!!

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... let's see, where to start (I can't stick with just 5... sorry).

1.  Replaced and repaired everything rusty and unserviceable (which was pretty much everything)

2.  Bored, Balanced, Blueprinted, and warmed up the 351C-2V with Edelbrock, CompCams, Holley, Hooker, Pypes, and other assorted go-fast goodies

3.  Replaced flogged FMX with an AOD and Global West subframe connectors

4.  Retrosound Model 2 AM/FM/USB/BT/iPod/Hands-Free stereo system and LED dash lights

5.  3-point modern belts, TMI Sport Seats, power windows & locks, quarter window roll-up kit, back-up camera, Classic Auto Air HVAC

Bonus: Cragar S/Ss, louvers, RCCI clock/tach conversion, replaced woodgrain with black carbon fiber vinyl.

Still to come:

Edelbrock E-Street EFI

H4 headlights and relay kit

MTX 10" Terminator subs and 400w amp

my top 3 are...

complete rebuild of engine

complete rebuild of brakes

all new cooling sys including trans cooler..

next on list is full replacement of front susp stuff.

My Top 5. (Still working on #1)

#1 - Power 4 wheel Disc Brake conversion with all new stainless lines.

#2 - Total Control Products Front Coil Over Conversion, Subframe Connectors with Driveshaft Hoop, 4 Link Rear 9" with Track Lock.

#3 - Rack and Pinion/Or Quick Ratio Steering Box

#4 - Built 408 Stroker

#5 - Transmissioncenter.net AOD/4R70W Vacuum operated Overdrive Transmission, basically a 4R70W in an AOD Case with Vacuum Valve Body.

Well, here’s my top 5 +1

1. Hit utility pole

2. Take to shop

3. Get engine rebuilt

4. Get new hood, fenders , bumper and all new front end components painted and replaced

5. Replace the 3 center gauges (just started working on this)

6. Pick up the car from shop and shred the tires!  :)

Hard to boil it down to five:

- Stroker to 408 with all the new engine components.

- TBI fuel injection.

- New front end components (OEMish).

- TKO600 5-speed trans.

- Exhaust cutoffs.

Close to the top five: brake upgrade to four new discs. Carrara steering wheel. TMI seat covers and foam.

Upcoming that may make the list:

Rear end upgrade to Truetrack. Brake master cylinder upgrade and vacuum pump system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

393 Stroker motor with lots of goodies including electronic ignition

heavy duty yokes and 1350 u-joints throughout the driveline

Added Air conditioning

Lowered front and rear along with the addition of welded in subframe connectors

changed gear to a 3.89 31 spline unit with heavy duty replacement axles

While this is really a lot more than 5 items, it is the 5 areas that I feel added the most to the car- I did not mention the rear disc brakes, the 17" wheels, the drag radials, the 6 point roll cage, the relocated battery, the 1` wire 135 amp alternator, the custom interior panels aluminum seats and seat braces with full harnesses . . .

Thanks for everyone's input!

I tried to compile a complete list of improvements below. The leading number is how often the item was mentioned so this is not in any particular order.

2 Adding coupe winder mechanisms to a fastback

1 Upgrade to power windows

2 Installing reverse camera

1 Install 3-point modern belts

1 Upgrade seats

1 Upgrade/rebuild sound system

1 Upgrade light globes

3 Upgrade dash lights

1 Relays for the high beams

1 Install full length factory console

1 Install air conditioning

1 Replace everything rusty

4 Subframe connectors

7 Upgrade/replace (parts of) front suspension

2 Upgrade/replace (parts of) rear suspension

5 Upgrade (to)/rebuild front disc brakes

1 Upgrade to rear disc brakes

1 Rebuild rear brakes

2 Upgrade steering box

1 Add power steering

7 Engine rebuild/upgrade

4 Upgrade gear box

4 Upgrade differential

1 Upgrade rear axles

3 Upgrade to electronic ignition

2 Electronic Fuel Injection

1 Upgrade/rebuild cooling system

1 upgrade yokes and u-joints throughout the driveline

2 Electric exhaust cut outs

1 Upgrade to dual exhaust

2 Upgrade tires

Apparently the front suspension and brakes and also the engine are our most favorite components to upgrade!

::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::  Vinnie, I like this thread to know everyone's improvements and yet remain as original as possible.  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

What I self added also when rebuild the Mustang:

- under dash lights under the front seat's for floorlight rear passenger;

- electric trunk release

- mounted sound speakers L+R under the dashboard (room enough for that, no speakers in the doors or kickpanels)

- extra sigar lighter socket in mid.console(shifter) for navigation or cell phone USB loading or ...

- recent convert the original mid.console clock to Quartz 

- replace the shinnie Q-panel ashtray(also Ford but incorrect for Mustang) to original

Besides the obvious rust repair and shiny paint & new suspension.....

1) Cibie/Valeo headlamp housings with H4 lamps and relay pack - it's like driving a new car at night

2) Front footwell courtesy lights - no more black hole

3) Auto -> 4 speed - I hate automatics

4) Urethane sway bar bushings & endlinks

5) Rebuilt variable ratio steering box

Good morning folks, I thought I'd give this one a wee bump to get some more top fives off the ground. I'll update the overall pictures after some new entries :)

1. Factory Parts

2. Used Factory Parts

3. Re-conditioned Factory Part’s

4. NOS Factory Parts

5. Upgrade the lame Factory dash speaker with an “aftermarket” replacement  :-/

My top 5 and why:

1 - Adding subframe connectors - Made the car feel much more solid

2 - Swapping from a C-6 to a T-5 manual transmission - It drives like a completely different car

3 - Installing larger sway bars and high pressure gas shocks - The car is much more stable and driveable… a GREAT road car

4 - Converting to 18" wheels and tires - Coupled with the shocks and sway bars the car feels much more stable and controlable

5 - Converting the dash lights to LED and replacing the clear lens - It makes the dash much more visible day and night

5a - LOL! I added a convex lens to the passenger side mirror - I can actually SEE things!

There are quite a few other little things that have made a difference and many others planned to improve the driving experience.

Back