How to remove overspray??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Anyone have any tips to remove overspray?? I painted my sons dirt bike frame over the weekend and I opened the garage door and the overspray went out on my wife Explorer.  Covered it pretty good! The paint was was an oil based enamel like rustoleum. I had it thinned and added hardener to spray with my gun. It’s  an aluminum color and has a ton of metallic specs everywhere. Any hints? Wax and grease remover, then buff?  

On a side note my sons bike is turning out pretty nice! lol. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at least you didn't get it on the Mustang!!!

I'm no body and paint expert by a loooonggg shot, but I'd try a clay bar first. Hopefully there is enough wax and dust on the body to stop the overspray from sticking too much.

Better yet, take it to a pro!

Geoff.

Unfortunately I did get some on the mustang and my f150. All of them were in the driveway and that overspray travelled way farther than I ever thought it would. I have enough experience with buffing and wet sanding but I’m hoping it won’t come to that. I can try some wax and grease remover in combination with a clay bar and see how it goes. Either way I highly doubt I will take it to a pro. Going to have hours cleaning this up!!

I'd try with thinner on a clean white piece of cloth.

Sounds like a "you crazy" solution, but the paint underneath is dry for more than 1/2 year, it won't react at all.

Done this a few times and never had any problems. Of course not all paint formulas are the same so of course try on a place out of sight first and be gentle.

Check the cloth for any color other than your over spray.

In fact as you said you used a 2k, it's not even sure thinner would do anything now.

If nothing, I'd go plan B with wet cloth and bits of ultra thin paint polishing paste.

Thanks for the replies fellas. And I do have the 3m rubbing compound and glaze in my cabinet. I read on the rustoleum website that some people used GOOF OFF in the aresol can with good results and also KRUD KUDDER graffiti remover. The wifes explorer got the worst of it. But it did have snow on it, then snow melted and left specs all over the car. Im sure I will get it off, just gonna be ALOT of elbow grease.

Thanks for the replies fellas.  And I do have the 3m rubbing compound and glaze in my cabinet. I read on the rustoleum website that some people used GOOF OFF in the aresol can with good results and also KRUD KUDDER graffiti remover. The wifes explorer got the worst of it. But it did have snow on it, then snow melted and left specs all over the car. Im sure I will get it off, just gonna be ALOT of elbow grease
My wife drove her car over a freshly tarred street and got quite a bit on her VW Passat. It was on there a year, then came trade in time. I used some kind of tar remover with a rag, I think it was "GOOF OFF, or GOOP OFF", and it worked great. The original paint condition came back. Not too much rubbing either. Yours may be a different problem though.

Thinking back a few years, 4 or 5, a neighbor 2 doors down, was having some "clown" paint their porch railings with Tremclad white. The overspray ( yes I said some clown using a spray gun) travelled and covered my Black VW Jetta. After a fight, literally and Police being called, he agreed to clean the car. The paint was on for a couple of days. It came off with ordinary paint thinner, Varsol we call it in Canada. It did need a good buffing to get the shine back afterwards.

The only thing I wonder about with the paint you used is you said you used a hardener.... in a Rustoleum paint?

Good luck,

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back