Center Gauges

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
I need to upgrade the 3 center gauges to new electric ones. I am rebuilding my motor and want something more accurate. I have checked out a bunch of different threads on the site. I still need to figure out exactly what way of mounting  them, but I’m pretty sure I have that figured out. They are 2 1/8” but I think I can make them work.

So I see most guys are using the VDO gauges. I found these from Classic Instruments and was wondering if anyone has tried them? They are expensive, but made in the USA and have the same type of sweep as the original ones. Plus, they come with a 7 year guarantee. About 320 bucks with the senders. Actually they are made in Boyne City, Michigan. 

DEDEF4BA-88C0-4261-B365-89D2F7DE0B15.png5ED6D727-D27C-482E-B128-F49A45AB029A.pngCD58CC05-0099-48E0-96EB-EB37064FF291.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you take them apart, remove the bezels and shields, and use the 3-gauge cluster shields, they'll look like they belong there - especially, all of them matching themselves.  They're distanced far enough from the main instrument panel to help blend in as well.

Otherwise, you might have to do some modifications to the gauge cluster itself to use the gauge bezels and have them looking like their pictures (if that makes sense).

When I swapped in the Bosch voltmeter in mine, I removed the bezel and glass and installed back into the gauge cluster as if just replacing the gauge itself, and here's how mine turned out - doesn't quite match the other factory gauges, but 'close enough' in my book.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hope this helps.  Those look like nice gauges - I hope they work the way you want them to.

If you take them apart, remove the bezels and shields, and use the 3-gauge cluster shields, they'll look like they belong there - especially, all of them matching themselves.  They're distanced far enough from the main instrument panel to help blend in as well.

Otherwise, you might have to do some modifications to the gauge cluster itself to use the gauge bezels and have them looking like their pictures (if that makes sense).

When I swapped in the Bosch voltmeter in mine, I removed the bezel and glass and installed back into the gauge cluster as if just replacing the gauge itself, and here's how mine turned out - doesn't quite match the other factory gauges, but 'close enough' in my book.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hope this helps.  Those look like nice gauges - I hope they work the way you want them to.
Thanks Eric, I did see your post on this and that’s one of the ways I was thinking about installing them. It looks great! Only problem is that the ones I’m looking at are 2 1/8” instead of  2 1/16”. I may have to make a different way to mount them instead of using the gauge pod.

So I bought these electric gauges and am waiting for them to get here. I also got the correct senders for them. I’m not really sure what to do about wiring them. I have a factory tach car with the factory center gauges. I know the new volt gauge gets wired different, but what about the oil and temp? Do they use the same wires as the factory ones do?

So I bought these electric gauges and am waiting for them to get here. I also got the correct senders for them. I’m not really sure what to do about wiring them. I have a factory tach car with the factory center gauges. I know the new volt gauge gets wired different, but what about the oil and temp? Do they use the same wires as the factory ones do?
You can use your existing wires for the sending units, but your power leads may change and you may require a true ground to operate the gauges.

You can use your existing wires for the sending units, but your power leads may change and you may require a true ground to operate the gauges.
Ok, thanks. I was hoping to be able to at least use the wiring for the senders, so that’s good. Electrical stuff is definitely not my strong suit, but I don’t think it will be that hard to do. Been reading every thread I can find about it and should be able to figure it out.

Looking good John.

Funny thing is I just and only just realized I put my oil gauge on the right side, not the left. Oh well, too late now without a lot of work. While looking for this (early ) picture (before I corrected the box thingy above), I noticed I had mocked it up correctly, oil on the left, but somehow final mounted it on the right. Hmmm!

Also it looks like you fabbed up a similar mounting bracket. You are going to love having good gauges.

Geoff.

The gauges look nice! This is kinda off the original topic but I noticed you and Eric have aftermarket stereos and you're using the original radio knobs. What stereos are you using and did you have to modify the knobs to fit? I have the customautosound usa-740 and was wanting to replace the knobs with originals but I didn't want to purchase them without knowing if they will fit. Thanks, Ryan

The stereos are Retrosound units.  Mine's a "Model 2," and I think his might be as well.  When I ordered mine, it had the option to pick your volume and tuning knobs to match the year model.  I just looked at the USA-740, and it hadn't come out yet when I bought my Model 2... and I'm kind of glad, since the USA-740 was essentially the same, but had the wrong knobs, and the owner's manual really doesn't help much.  If it sounds good, and you're happy with it, though - that's all that matters.  I'd considered the USA-630, but in order to get all the cool stuff the 740 and Model 2 come with, you'd wind up with a $600 unit with a bunch of add-on components.

Anyway,

I'll bet the ones I just found in the 'Replacement Parts' section at Retrosound.com would probably fit your system: https://www.retromanufacturing.com/collections/replacement-parts/products/black-dot-knob-sets?variant=7979445251

Click on the "55-75" knobs for the bigger picture.

The Retrosound units use a 'split-shaft,' whereas the original factory knobs were 'D-shafts.'  I'm willing to bet your USA-740 has the same shafts as the Retrosound units, based on this picture, anyway.

MSUSA-740_main-01.jpg

Hope that helps!

Looking good John.

Funny thing is I just and only just realized I put my oil gauge on the right side, not the left. Oh well, too late now without a lot of work. While looking for this (early ) picture (before I corrected the box thingy above), I noticed I had mocked it up correctly, oil on the left, but somehow final mounted it on the right. Hmmm!

Also it looks like you fabbed up a similar mounting bracket. You are going to love having good gauges.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff, I did actually use your set up and bracket fab as a guide, but I put my own twist on it.

Yes my stereo is a retro sound model 2 unit too and I really love it. The knobs come with it and they are not cheap crap ones, nice and beefy.I had another brand and it didn’t last a year.

I noticed how Custom Auto Sound says their units are easier to install because there's no assembly required.  That just means that you don't have to hang the shaft assemblies on the bezels and plug them into the head unit - but you still need to adjust the width to match the bezel openings since the units are 'universal fit' for all of the old cars.

Still, I've heard everybody is happy with whichever units they buy (either the USA-XXX models or the Retrosound units), which is good no matter which unit you choose.

Thanks guys on the replies. I think I may try the knobs that you listed. Thanks, Ryan

Looking good John.

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff, I did actually use your set up and bracket fab as a guide, but I put my own twist on it.
  Nice job on it too! 

Hope to see it soon in August.

Geoff.

PS, did you see the Retro-Fest pics?

Looking good John.

Geoff.
  Nice job on it too! 

Hope to see it soon in August.

Geoff.

PS, did you see the Retro-Fest pics?
Thanks Geoff.

Yes, I did see those. Thanks for posting them.

Back