Parking lights 1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hi,

as we have special regulations here in Germany to accomodate the headlights and parking lights to special function how do the parking lights operate in original condition? Do they lighten automatically with the light switch on or are they ever on? When they are on, are they a bit dimmer than when they are used as turn signal and flashing? Could anybody provide a video of the original appearance and function?

I want to perhaps try to bring back the original functions and legalize it through state approval...

Thank you ::thumb::

Yes, they are dual function. They serve as both a parking light and turn signal. They use dual filaments in the bulbs, with the smaller (dimmer) filament used for the park lights. The brighter filament is used on the turn signals.

When the light switch is pulled out to the first position the park lights and taillights are illuminated. When the headlight switch is pulled out all the way I believe the parking light portion remains on.

Thank you all for the good answers!

I think on my 70 F-250 truck it was the same...

German regulations say that on the front there have to be no yellow light on by driving. But especially for the Mach 1 I will try to get a go by the state approval here. Have a pair of clear lenses for the parking lights and I will bring back the original connections of the wiring harness and see what they will say...

Gesendet von meinem E6633 mit Tapatalk

German regulations say that on the front there have to be no yellow light on by driving. But especially for the Mach 1 I will try to get a go by the state approval here. Have a pair of clear lenses for the parking lights and I will bring back the original connections of the wiring harness and see what they will say...

If you are a member of the First Mustang Club of Germany they can help and tell you what TUV (Inspection Place) can give you a "Ausnahme Genehmigung", a special approval, so you don't have to cut any wires on your headlight harness. The local TUV's don't do that because they are clueless, but there are some who specialize in vintage Mustangs, some 300 kilometers away. One of TUV's "local engineers" told me to cut my headlight harness to comply with German regulations, to just register my car and to drive it, and I happily declined to do so! So, I drove my car to the city of Siegen and their TUV approved everything including the original rims!

Last edited by a moderator:

If you are a member of the First Mustang Club of Germany they can help and tell you what TUV (Inspection Place) can give you a "Ausnahme Genehmigung", a special approval, so you don't have to cut any wires on your headlight harness. The local TUV's don't do that because they are clueless, but there are some who specialize in vintage Mustangs, some 300 kilometers away. One of TUV's "local engineers" told me to cut my headlight harness to comply with German regulations, to just register my car and to drive it, and I happily declined to do so! So, I drove my car to the city of Siegen and their TUV approved everything including the original rims!
I know that situation - the same as here... The wires are already cut from the previous owners so I have to rewire them. The most think that when they do it all before they will get no problems. It is the easiest way. But you can get a 'Ausnahme-Genehmigung' for many things.
I got the tuv-requirements for vintage cars directly from a good engineer, it is a sheet with a lot of papers.

So 'Ausnahme-Genehmigungen' are possible for a lot of things on US-cars. You only have to know them and then go with this knowledge to a TUV-Station.

I will have a try :)

I know that situation - the same as here... The wires are already cut from the previous owners so I have to rewire them. The most think that when they do it all before they will get no problems. It is the easiest way. But you can get a 'Ausnahme-Genehmigung' for many things.

I got the tuv-requirements for vintage cars directly from a good engineer, it is a sheet with a lot of papers.

So 'Ausnahme-Genehmigungen' are possible for a lot of things on US-cars. You only have to know them and then go with this knowledge to a TUV-Station.

German Government also thinks with that many more exterior lights on a Mustang, compared to a German car, it is impossible to have all those lights running on 1 fuse alone (trying to tell you your circuit is overloaded), so they MAKE you add another inline fuse running from the fuse panel all the way back to the tail lights...they think in America we're driving in the DARK! I bet they got more loose now with regulations since there are more Classic American cars in Germany than there are in the U.S. LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I have an original T5 Q code that I recently imported from Germany to Austria.

Here is the front parking light/blinker.

It has the original orange lens and is only connected to the blinker, it is not allowed to have that light always on in front in orange.

The front side marker I connected with the blinker that was ok for the authorities.

The rear side marker either needs to be changed to orange lens and connected to the rear blinker or covered up as no reflective red lens can be on the sode of the car.

The rear blinker gave us quite some trouble. Needs to blink in orange so u have to add an orange light to the rear backup lights. Then the light will be orange in the middle (where the white area is) but the red part of the lens will also blink and seemingly u cant have a red blinker here anymore. Taping the red area is also not ok as the car needs to have a reflective red area in the back so you have to insert a little roll over the bulb in order to only make the white area of the lens blink with the orange bulb and not make the red area blink.

So now thats all working and I got my registration (TÜV) respectively (Einzelgenehmigung in Austria) on the 28th after the second try.

Hope that helps

Christopher

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

42d82246ee26fbf2daf335d1d1f5d821.jpg

German Government also thinks with that many more exterior lights on a Mustang, compared to a German car, it is impossible to have all those lights running on 1 fuse alone (trying to tell you your circuit is overloaded), so they MAKE you add another inline fuse running from the fuse panel all the way back to the tail lights...they think in America we're driving in the DARK! I bet they got more loose now with regulations since there are more Classic American cars in Germany than there are in the U.S. LOL!
Hahaha, that could be possible ;-)
Never had problems with that.

My T5 was already licensed in Germy before so no problems with that.

I have only restored it to more original specs now and I am trying do bring back the original function of the parking lights. I like the idea of their original operation. But it could be difficult due to German regulations...

42d82246ee26fbf2daf335d1d1f5d821.jpg

Hi Chris,
interesting car and story. Nice car, too. Mine will look the same, only in Gold color instead.

Had no trouble with the things you have mentioned. My car was already licensed in Germany from new on and therefore prepped with all the necessary things. The side markers and the rear turn signal lights have all their factory original operations, it is all documented in the license papers. The only exception from factory are the front turn signals or parking lights I do know about now. They mounted H4 headlights with integrated parking lights and the former parking lights are now front turn signals now. That's all. Therefore they had cut simply the original harness 45 years before. I want to try to put back also this function to US factory specs but that could be difficult... I am already happy with the provided permissions I got to drive the car as original as possible here ;-)

Hi,

mine is an original T5 also that spend all his life in Germany with two previous owners. Its been here for a few months now and I got it registered with the changes that were necessary. Side Markers are fine now operating as blinkers, rear blinker was a bit a pain bcs of the no red blinking policy.

Now its roadworthy, will drive a bit and then completely strip it and derust and paint. Everything as original as possible and new when necessary. Its a very nice optioned car, has pretty much everything you need check out the marti, and its a one of one.

Are you getting it registered with the t5 registry?

Have fun with yours

Christopher

ca96475ea135cb2743b4f32b69023db2.jpg

Hi Christopher,

very intersting! Thank you for showing your Marti! It seems that we have very similar cars. Mine was built in April 1973. It is very cool to meet you to confirm perhaps many things which are special to T5's on our cars!

My father has an 73 T5 also, they are even more rare than the sportsroofs. It is a Q-code and it is really ALL original (excepct the tires, oil, filter, brake shoes, fluid and some tubes :D )

I am not registered, something I have forgotten about...

Have fun and let us stay tuned ::thumb::

Back