Tim meyer 351c thermostat and restrictor plate

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilPuppetMaster

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Q - code
Hi guys

So I bought Tim Meyers 351c thermostat and brass bypass plate

Here is the link

Track Boss Products – High-Flo Thermostat – Cleveland

https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/high-flo-thermostat/

My block has been in the shop for months now and I never checked if there was a bypass plate in the thermostat housing so I bought the  tmeyer thermostat and bypass plate just to be sure

I was at the shop today and there is indeed original plate in the thermostat housing

So I got few questions

1. Should I remove the original bypass plate  and then  install tmeyer brass plate and thermostat?

2. Should I just buy correct Cleveland thermostat and dont even use tmeyer high flow thermostat

3. Can I use tmeyers thermostat with the original Cleveland factory bypass plate ?

Thanks for your help

Alex

Tims t stat will work with the orginal bypass, if it was mine I would replace the factory plate and put tims into replace it, its a better heavyduty piece. I did this early last spring on a 351C in a 70  cougar.

Tims t stat will work with the orginal bypass, if it was mine I would replace the factory plate and put tims into replace it, its a better heavyduty piece. I did this early last spring on a 351C in a 70  cougar.
Thanks for info. I assume that the original plate is pressed into housing. Does Tim's brass plate have to be pressed in or just placed into the housing,? There is not much info on how to install it on his website.

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the orginal is pressed in , I just used a wooden hammer handle and taped it in , its snug but not super tight.
Perfect. 

Thanks again

Good luck finding the 'correct' Cleveland thermostat anywhere but mail order from a specialized vendor - the big-box parts stores don't have 'em.  That's why I swapped in the West Coast Classic Cougars restrictor plate and used the Windsor thermostat O'Reilly gave me when I asked for a Cleveland thermostat.  The engine's never run hot and it works like a charm.  Plus, when it's time to replace the thermostat, I can use whatever O'Reilly's gives me next time and not worry about having to wonder where I got the actual Cleveland thermostat and mail order it.  I try to keep things simple enough for down-the-road type things.

Humm I tried to attach a picture of thermostat at the parts house for Cleveland but it will not let me.

I have a NOS Stant 192 deg. thermostat that I will sell you for $25.00 PM me if you want.

I would use the Ford designed and tested baffle and not the new one you have. They do sell the correct thermostats at Oriley and Advance auto parts. I think might be made in Israel, lol.

Be sure when you put the heads on that you turn the gaskets correct. They will have FRONT stamped on them. My 73 is bored .050" over with cam and AC and does not overheat even in the mountains.

Back in 2016, my '71 351C 4V had to be re-rebuilt, (builder put a high volume oil pump in on the original rebuild, took out the cam and main bearings). When I installed the engine again, I also put in a new thermostat. The one I'm still using today without ANY issues is the Stant 13468 180 degree with the 'hat'. It is listed for the 351C engine only on Rock Auto. Does it seal off completely, maybe, maybe not, but even on the hottest days here, mid 90's, I have zero problems with over heating. I do have the Stant 13469 195 deg. T stat as well, but have found the lower temp works fine, no need to install this one for now.

So why do I need to spend big bucks for something that may or may not work any better? Buyers choice I guess, but I'm not convinced. Overheating can be caused by many issues other than a bad or incorrect T stat.

My 2 cents worth,

Geoff.

At then end of the day, it's where the needle points that matters.  Whichever solution we're all going with, as long as it works and there are no odd side effects, it's all good.  It sure is nice to have options, and this fine community for sharing of information like this. ::thumb::

Back in 2016, my '71 351C 4V had to be re-rebuilt, (builder put a high volume oil pump in on the original rebuild, took out the cam and main bearings). When I installed the engine again, I also put in a new thermostat. The one I'm still using today without ANY issues is the Stant 13468 180 degree with the 'hat'. It is listed for the 351C engine only on Rock Auto. Does it seal off completely, maybe, maybe not, but even on the hottest days here, mid 90's, I have zero problems with over heating. I do have the Stant 13469 195 deg. T stat as well, but have found the lower temp works fine, no need to install this one for now.

So why do I need to spend big bucks for something that may or may not work any better? Buyers choice I guess, but I'm not convinced. Overheating can be caused by many issues other than a bad or incorrect T stat.

My 2 cents worth,

Geoff.
No one suggested that you need to spend big bucks on anything. If it ain't broke there is no need to fix it, however, the fact remains, that when the stock t stat system is not sealing properly, it can cause an engine to run hotter than it otherwise would. It's really that simple.

Hi guys

So I bought Tim Meyers 351c thermostat and brass bypass plate

Here is the link

Track Boss Products – High-Flo Thermostat – Cleveland

https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/high-flo-thermostat/

My block has been in the shop for months now and I never checked if there was a bypass plate in the thermostat housing so I bought the  tmeyer thermostat and bypass plate just to be sure

I was at the shop today and there is indeed original plate in the thermostat housing

So I got few questions

1. Should I remove the original bypass plate  and then  install tmeyer brass plate and thermostat?

2. Should I just buy correct Cleveland thermostat and dont even use tmeyer high flow thermostat

3. Can I use tmeyers thermostat with the original Cleveland factory bypass plate ?

Thanks for your help

Alex

3. Yes. You're done. Trust me, I know. It is that simple.

Back