Need help on clutch linkage - 4 speed z bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WF 73 Mach 1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Converting my 73 Mach to a 4 speed. Got ready to install z bar for clutch and I can't seem to get the frame side bracket and the motor side bracket to line up with each other. It is possible I may have the wrong engine bracket but perogie says it's the one. Here are a few pic's. Maybe I am just not getting the idea but if you can help please!!!

003.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

I hope these pics help you to figure it out, however, it does not appear to be the correct bracket when compared to the one I have off the car. Pics are taken from my 73 w/ 3sp toploader. Same brackets used on the 4sp TLoader.

2rvy7g9.jpg

2vblqxg.jpg

Pics of the bracket in question

dpk5yw.jpg

2dj3s5e.jpg

Pics of the correct bracket and I can't believe Perogie of all people got it wrong. This is the correct bracket '71-73 for 302, 351 and 429 motors.

eq9tw0.jpg

v2s411.jpg

Aftermarket bracket

http://www.cjponyparts.com/CLUTCH-EQUALIZER-BAR-BRACKET-ENGINE-SIDE-SMALL-BLOCK-1971-1973/p/CEBBE6/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for the help, I do have the wrong engine side bracket. With your pic's I was able to find the right one on the web and have ordered it, it is available reproduced. Again thanks for your help!!! Mark

Thanks so much for the help, I do have the wrong engine side bracket. With your pic's I was able to find the right one on the web and have ordered it, it is available reproduced. Again thanks for your help!!! Mark
You're welcome Mark! When done, can you post your experience doing this conversion? I too wanted to do the Auto to 4sp Manual conversion on the '71 and sourced every part needed, but decided last minute to stick with the automatic, cruising 3:00 rear end gears and reinstall the A/C unit. I may do the conversion once I see your write up.

DJ

Sure thing, I am almost through. Built my original 351C with aussie heads with new seats, guides, manley valves, screw in studs, bored with sealed power pistons, comp roller cam, roller rockers, arp fasteners, balanced, performer intake with Holley 780, sanderson ceramic coated block hugger headers, toploader 4 speed, 3.50 gears with traction lock. Was hoping to start it up this weekend and drive around the block but will have to wait on the z bar bracket. I bought this car new and with the emissions in 73 it had less than 200 hp, hope to at least double that number! Always wanted it as a 4 speed so thus the conversion. Funny thing, I paid $4100 for this car new and I spent $5200 just for the motor, inflation!!! Again thanks for your help!!

Sure thing, I am almost through. Built my original 351C with aussie heads with new seats, guides, manley valves, screw in studs, bored with sealed power pistons, comp roller cam, roller rockers, arp fasteners, balanced, performer intake with Holley 780, sanderson ceramic coated block hugger headers, toploader 4 speed, 3.50 gears with traction lock. Was hoping to start it up this weekend and drive around the block but will have to wait on the z bar bracket. I bought this car new and with the emissions in 73 it had less than 200 hp, hope to at least double that number! Always wanted it as a 4 speed so thus the conversion. Funny thing, I paid $4100 for this car new and I spent $5200 just for the motor, inflation!!! Again thanks for your help!!
I saw your introduction page and really like what I've read and seen. Beautiful stang and great job! Welcome to the group!

Hi Mark,

I'm not near the car right now to take measurements, but here are some pics to hopefully answer some of your questions. If not the pics you need or need different angles, then let me know and I'll post them.

xmpc7c.jpg

2dkz7ea.jpg

z776g.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have a new problem, the adjustment rod I have seems to be too long or I have the wrong lever going to the throw out bearing. Can you take a pic of your adjustment rod and measure the length of it and also a pic of the end of the z bar where it attaches and maybe a pic of the adjustment bar in place between the z bar and clutch lever. Sorry to be so much trouble but I really need the help if you can spare the time. Thanks, Mark!

clutch equalizer bar & frame mount.jpg

Converting my 73 Mach to a 4 speed. Got ready to install z bar for clutch and I can't seem to get the frame side bracket and the motor side bracket to line up with each other. It is possible I may have the wrong engine bracket but perogie says it's the one. Here are a few pic's. Maybe I am just not getting the idea but if you can help please!!!
clutch equalizer bar & frame mount.jpg

20150124_180105_resized.jpg

20150124_180055_resized_1.jpg

Clutch Linkage- Bushing Kit- WCCC #15253 $30.47.jpg

I did this conversation back in 1999. I had spent almost 6 months searching for original dated parts for my 1972. I found that ok once I had all the correct parts the conversation was very straight forward. One thing I found that you might want to do, I drilled a hole and tapped it in the z bar for a grease fitting so it can be serviced and prolong the life of the bushings. I can't take credit for this idea I saw it on a few other Z bars while shopping for the right one for my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure thing, I am almost through.  Built my original 351C with aussie heads with new seats, guides, manley valves, screw in studs, bored with sealed power pistons, comp roller cam, roller rockers, arp fasteners, balanced, performer intake with Holley 780, sanderson ceramic coated block hugger headers, toploader 4 speed, 3.50 gears with traction lock.  Was hoping to start it up this weekend and drive around the block but will have to wait on the z bar bracket.  I bought this car new and with the emissions in 73 it had less than 200 hp, hope to at least double that number!  Always wanted it as a 4 speed so thus the conversion.  Funny thing, I paid $4100 for this car new and I spent $5200 just for the motor, inflation!!!  Again thanks for your help!!
W1,

I am converting from C6 to a toploader. I’m having difficulty with installing the Z bar. The brackets are correct. The aftermarket Z bar came with a 1/4” thick felt washer to act as a seal between the z bar and the bracket that mounts to the frame of the car. 

I purchased a nylon bushing and felt washer that installs on the bracket that mounts to the bell housing. This felt washer is about 5/8” thick. 

It it was difficult to get the Z bar installed. Upon completion, the 5/8” felt washer on the bell housing bracket had been smashed to the extent that 80% of the felt was inside of the z bar, and the remainder pinched between the bar and bracket. 

Moving the z bar back and forth by hand took quite a bit of effort. The z bar certainly feels too tight. 

What was was the configuration of your felt washers, and thicknesses?

thanks

Back