Mustang 71-73, Cougar 71-73 - Shock Tower Export Brace

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes just did mine on the weekend

If your using original suspension you may need shorter nuts rather than nyloc (I used exh manifold nuts as they are shorter and still lock a little) or if you can get the shock tower bolts longer would be best

You can mount the firewall bracket under the cowl lip as in your picture or above which I found easier although you will need to flatten the lip for this method.

Overall a quality product but yet to drive my vehicle so can't give any reports on performance

Here's a video on installation -

Hello OzCoupe72,

Nice! Please let us know how it drives. The Autoedit's Big Marge is a nice platform to show how he installs the different products available for the 1971-73 mustangs. On the stock mounting hardware, good point. I suppose there are no longer style available out there?

original Bolts - 3/8-16 X 7/8 .80 OD - KW, 378535-S

Maybe find a carriage bolt in similar fashion and modify it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have them. I agree the stock brace is likely stiffer with the multiple mounting points on each end. I am of the opinion that using spherical rod end to stop movement is likely ineffective. Triangulating it to another structure might help. I have additional rods coming forward to my radiator core support, but I don't think they truly do much.

The ability to remove for servicing is nice though. If I were to do further modification it would be to make custom ends that used the same two mounting bolts as the original braces and a cross brace to tie the rods together at the firewall between the rods and the rod ends.

I wasted my money, feel free to waste yours ;)

From what information I have read, there were no braces on the mustangs to start with! When they wanted to export them, the Europeans said “Wait a minute here!” There is not enough support to weather the harsh roads here! Thus the export braces were made!

The question of the day is, were they designed to prevent forward and backwards movement? Your thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thoughts on the effectiveness of these braces whether OEM or aftermarket

Personally I don't think they do a lot except stiffen the shock towers slightly under certain conditions

Our Aussie Falcons 1967 onwards, which are near identical, have never used shock tower braces and never heard of any problems even on race cars

Only reason I installed the TCM braces was my OEM braces interfered with my brake master cylinder being RHD conversion and just wanted them for insurance plus they look trick!

As I'm yet to drive my Mustang for the first time I can't give a comparison and honestly doubt I would feel any difference anyways

Pics below and you will see I had to use short nuts rather than taller Nylocs on the shock tower

P1030132.jpg

P1030130.jpg

P1030129.jpg

The original braces provide both front/back support and some lateral (side-to-side) support. They do not provide much torsional resistance, I can twist them a little bit just by hand.

I wouldn't expect the TCP nor the MPG ones to do much without a monte carlo brace to provide lateral support.

I hate the originals. It makes it a big pain in the but to do anything under the hood. Not to mention that they are not the easiest things to remove without taking the hood off.

I hate the originals.  It makes it a big pain in the but to do anything under the hood.  Not to mention that they are not the easiest things to remove without taking the hood off.
I don't think the originals are that bad. I can have them off in less than 5 minutes and definitely don't have to remove the hood.

well I have really big hands and arms, plus I'm getting up in age and things like that it seems like I have to be a contortionist to get the bolts in.

If the bolt+nuts are the originals or of similar quality, there are in and out in matter of seconds.

I use a L shaped key on nut, and socket/rachet on head.

If it takes ages to get them loose, the threads are likely corroded/rusty and could use some brushing/grease.

The position you need to take to have a good grip isn't the most friendly for sure, but how often do you need to remove/place back these?

I have two objections for the stock braces, appearance and getting in the way. The aftermarket ones look better and don't get in the way as much but also require a monte carlo brace to make up for the loss of lateral support that the original ones provide. The monte carlo braces get in the way of more things that I need to get to more often, like the distributor. So, for now I'll stick with the original, until, if and when I make one that I believe accomplishes functionality and appearance.

I hate the originals.  It makes it a big pain in the but to do anything under the hood.  Not to mention that they are not the easiest things to remove without taking the hood off.
I don't think the originals are that bad. I can have them off in less than 5 minutes and definitely don't have to remove the hood.
+1I dont need to remove the hood either.

I also dont see much structural benefit of these TCPs, but i understand why you need them. Your master cylinder is just in the wrong side :)

However, what may be of use is to have a bracket like that at the cowl. That may stiffen that end a bit but not sure if needed. It will be easy to replicate with a 1/2" wide plate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Maier setup is definitely a better option but being a one piece unit the shipping cost might be prohibitive for us international buyers

Wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate something like this at home I reckon

Perhaps I will get the additional TCP Monte Carlo setup  when I'm not bankrupt

Back