hood blackout template

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the correct template for the hood blackout still being sold from Graphics Express? The part #841-ST is the one I found there. Thank's
I would call them. I think that is the one I used, BUT there is differing opinions on whether it is actually as correct as they claim.  Look at David's (Carolina_Mountain_Man) picture of his original hood. There was a post just recently on hood black-out shape and choice of paint, textured or non-textured, do a search.

Also, many have the distance from the front lip wrong, me included. It should be 2" I believe. From the edges of the hood, the template will be 6" in to the 1/4" stripe, but David's looks to be more like 5" in from the edges.

I'm sure David or others will add to this. My paint choice was SEM Hot Rod Black, which is standing up very well and that's without the Hot Rod Clear top coat.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have searched a bunch of different threads and have found a lot of great info. I also found the old thread that you did about it. Was just wondering if anyone had any other updates on the pattern, or if someone had a template of David’s hood.

I know the Mustang monthly add about placement is wrong.

I sent my painter pics of David’s hood and the one from the 429 mega site, as well as a few more that I found.

Are you happy with the pattern you have? I know your pattern is back to far from the front but how about the shape?

Is the correct template for the hood blackout still being sold from Graphics Express? The part #841-ST is the one I found there. Thank's
It’s close... but not quite perfect... We had to cut the stencil and manipulate to fit the hood properly. It will work though...

jpaz,  without a "Rub Off" from an original Tu-Tone hood such as David's 12,000 mile 73 Mach1, the template from Graphics Express is probably going to be your 2nd  best option.

We had a forum member who is a original owner of a  71 J code Mach 1. His hood was used for the basis of the tutone template available from Graphic Express. A couple of their employees drove from Graphics Express to Kitt's location and spent several hours measuring and photographing his hood Tu-Tone paint layout.

Just keep in mind as David posted, your going to see variances as most of these operations on the assembly line were done in seconds. These were not considered Collectible cars or any thing special in the 70's. As far as the line worker was concerned he could of just as well been placing a stripe or accent paint on a Pinto or a pickup truck!

I have been told that Graphic Express illustration which shows a 73 Mach 1 is a stock photo and not representative of the actual product.

https://www.graphic-express.com/ford-motor-co/ford-paint-stencils/1971-73-mustang-mach-1-nasa-naca-hood-paint-stencil-kit.html

jpaz,  without a "Rub Off" from an original Tu-Tone hood such as David's 12,000 mile 73 Mach1, the template from Graphics Express is probably going to be your 2nd  best option.

We had a forum member who is a original owner of a  71 J code Mach 1. His hood was used for the basis of the tutone template available from Graphic Express. A couple of their employees drove from Graphics Express to Kitt's location and spent several hours measuring and photographing his hood Tu-Tone paint layout.

Just keep in mind as David posted, your going to see variances as most of these operations on the assembly line were done in seconds. These were not considered Collectible cars or any thing special in the 70's. As far as the line worker was concerned he could of just as well been placing a stripe or accent paint on a Pinto or a pickup truck!

I have been told that Graphic Express illustration which shows a 73 Mach 1 is a stock photo and not repesenitivensenitive of the actual product.

https://www.graphic-express.com/ford-motor-co/ford-paint-stencils/1971-73-mustang-mach-1-nasa-naca-hood-paint-stencil-kit.html
Yes secluff, I have read all thru the thread about the stencil that Kitt supplied from his j code. I did notice that the pictures depicting the hood stencil kit from Graphic Express doesn’t look right. Glad to hear that those pictures are not the actual pattern. 

My car is not a show only car, so it doesn’t have to be perfect. I know the line workers only had a very short time to apply the hood treatment and it’s amazing how well they were able to do it. I just want it to be as close as possible and centered on the hood. Thanks for all the info!

It’s close... but not quite perfect... We had to cut the stencil and manipulate to fit the hood properly. It will work though...
Thanks 7173Vert, I was wondering if you used this template. I remember all the problems that you had with your hood blackout. As long as the pattern is pretty close, I will have my painter use this template. I have already told him to make sure that the pattern gets put 2” back from the leading edge of hood and centered. I also sent him pictures of David’s hood and the yellow hood from the 429 mega site. 

So if this was close enough for you, then it’s definitely good enough for me. Thanks again!

I can’t believe that damn Mustang Monthly article is still out there! I was asking my painter about the hood blackout pattern yesterday. He said that he used a pattern from a Mustang monthly article and I said WHAT? I know that is wrong, so I made sure and looked up everything I could read about it. 

I  sent him some  pictures of David’s original 73 hood, and others that I know are correct. I even found a pic of Kitts J code, the one the Graphics Express template was made from. He said that the pattern he has looks just like the pictures I sent him. He hasn’t done a 71-73 hood for a couple years, so he was going to look for some pics of the last one he did. I sent him a picture of the article that mm put out there and told him if he was going by that, then it’s wrong. I’m waiting to hear back from him about it today. I figured I would make sure about this before he painted it to save us some headache’s, as it should be getting close to being painted. I sure wish that stupid mm article would just go away! Looks like it almost claimed another victim. Thanks to all of you guys who have made sure that this problem can be found out by others like me.

Thanks 7173Vert, I was wondering if you used this template. I remember all the problems that you had with your hood blackout. As long as the pattern is pretty close, I will have my painter use this template. I have already told him to make sure that the pattern gets put 2” back from the leading edge of hood and centered. I also sent him pictures of David’s hood and the yellow hood from the 429 mega site. 

So if this was close enough for you, then it’s definitely good enough for me. Thanks again!
1 7/8” is the correct measurement... I know because my painter had to do the hood three times and truth be told, he still left it 3/16” to short. I finally gave up and took the car home... For the $$$ I spent, it should have been perfect but the lesson I learned during my restoration was that although my painter was top notch in the application field, following a customer’s Instruction’s was not his best attribute. The template works fine but the problem area is the width (side to side) of the supplied template, in order to properly have the top (windshield) of the paint line up properly.

1 7/8” is the correct measurement... I know because my painter had to do the hood three times and truth be told, he still left it 3/16” to short. I finally gave up and took the car home... For the $$$ I spent, it should have been perfect but the lesson I learned during my restoration was that although my painter was top notch in the application field, following a customer’s Instruction’s was not his best attribute. The template works fine but the problem area is the width (side to side) of the supplied template, in order to properly have the top (windshield) of the paint line up properly.
Ok, I will definitely discuss this with him. Thanks again

jpaz, to add to my hood black-out, my painter only used the template as a guide to mark the position. He did not use it to paint with. He thought there might be paint bleed under the edges and preferred to use the 3m plastic tape instead. My problem was I (and he), forgot the front molding was not on the hood when he measured back the 2", which is close enough imo. None of these hoods were anywhere near perfect and to me, as long as it's not visually 'off' know one will ever know it's not perfect.

In fact with mine definitely being 'off' by 1" at the front, I have never had anyone, even so-called judges, pick up on that.

If I were to do my hood again, here's what I'd do. Side measurements would be 5 to 5.5"as the  6" looks a bit too much as the black only just covers the curve of the hood bulge if you get my meaning. A bit more onto the flat looks better and more like David's. In other words, follow the lines of the hood. Perfection only leads to disappointment...……. take that from a perfectionist.... ME!

Geoff.

John,

I used the Graphics Express template on my 73 Mach. Everything looked perfect except it was too short and had to be cut to lengthen it out to make fit the way it was supposed to. I also used a non textured flat black and then had them put a matte clear coat over it. 

jpaz, to add to my hood black-out, my painter only used the template as a guide to mark the position. He did not use it to paint with. He thought there might be paint bleed under the edges and preferred to use the 3m plastic tape instead. My problem was I (and he), forgot the front molding was not on the hood when he measured back the 2", which is close enough imo. None of these hoods were anywhere near perfect and to me, as long as it's not visually 'off' know one will ever know it's not perfect.

In fact with mine definitely being 'off' by 1" at the front, I have never had anyone, even so-called judges, pick up on that.

If I were to do my hood again, here's what I'd do. Side measurements would be 5 to 5.5"as the  6" looks a bit too much as the black only just covers the curve of the hood bulge if you get my meaning. A bit more onto the flat looks better and more like David's. In other words, follow the lines of the hood. Perfection only leads to disappointment...……. take that from a perfectionist.... ME!

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff, was hoping you would chime in here. I will pass this info to my painter. He will use the same method your guy did, template is just a guide. I see what you are saying about the width. Thanks again for all your help!

John,

I used the Graphics Express template on my 73 Mach. Everything looked perfect except it was too short and had to be cut to lengthen it out to make fit the way it was supposed to. I also used a non textured flat black and then had them put a matte clear coat over it. 

Thanks jeff, that looks really nice. More great info to pass on to my painter.

Ok on the computer saw your post. If you want me to do a pencil rub off my original I will do so. The last one I marked where the seam was between hood and trim and also where the hood locks were located. I have attached some of the pictures again.

If you PM me your address I will get it out to you probably tomorrow. I do need to find someone with a hand held laser scanner so we can get the correct shape and location on the site. I think I have three original hoods with factory black out on them. Two are in storage.

The side stripes and trunk stripes seem to be another area that the suppliers got it all wrong. I did rub off and pics of the stripes and what is out there seems to be incorrect. Any NOS ones would be no good now the adhesive would be bad.

There was some discussion about the scoops not being in place when black was applied. I never have gone to look. I did look and the trim piece was in place when painted acorn nuts have color on them. I know they way they carried the tape under the hood up at the windshield was just slapped on.

Also remember the underside of the hood got black on all hoods so you could not see in there as good. The yellow hood is a flat hood off a convertible and is factory spray of black along the rear.

You will also need to have them add the black at each tail light opening in the rear. Pic is an original Decor Group car.

Another area is around the front marker lights if it is a 73. Every original paint 73 Mach 1 that I have seen had paint around the opening to hide the body color and the frame of the marker light was also black. My original is peeling off I am sure they never sanded before they shot it.The showroom brochure shows both ways. Probably early prototype models did not get and marketing decided to paint before production started.

I seem to recall on my car that they also painted around the gas filler to hide body color there also, don't have a pic.

nh4

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff, was hoping you would chime in here. I will pass this info to my painter. He will use the same method your guy did, template is just a guide. I see what you are saying about the width. Thanks again for all your help!
   You're welcome, hope al the info you have adds up to a stunning job.

Recapping on the paint. I am very happy with the performance of the SEM Hot Rod Black. I could care less if it doesn't have any 'texture'. It's easy to clean and seems not to be affected by Mother's Quick Detailer spray if and when it gets on it. OK, I hear you all saying Nooooo, not "polish"!!! 

Doing it again, I'd have my painter apply less black where the tape is and then shoot the Hot Rod clear over it all. Reason is to reduce the build up on the edges.

Looking at David's pics, one side looks like 5 1/4" the other 5 1/2" from the sides. Pretty damn good for a job done in just a few minutes!. Anyway, you can see what I meant by a 6" measurement not quite covering the curve of the bulge.

Geoff.

Ok on the computer saw your post. If you want me to do a pencil rub off my original I will do so. The last one I marked where the seam was between hood and trim and also where the hood locks were located. I have attached some of the pictures again.

If you PM me your address I will get it out to you probably tomorrow. I do need to find someone with a hand held laser scanner so we can get the correct shape and location on the site. I think I have three original hoods with factory black out on them. Two are in storage.

The side stripes and trunk stripes seem to be another area that the suppliers got it all wrong. I did rub off and pics of the stripes and what is out there seems to be incorrect. Any NOS ones would be no good now the adhesive would be bad.

There was some discussion about the scoops not being in place when black was applied. I never have gone to look. I did look and the trim piece was in place when painted acorn nuts have color on them. I know they way they carried the tape under the hood up at the windshield was just slapped on.

Also remember the underside of the hood got black on all hoods so you could not see in there as good. The yellow hood is a flat hood off a convertible and is factory spray of black along the rear.

You will also need to have them add the black at each tail light opening in the rear. Pic is an original Decor Group car.

Another area is around the front marker lights if it is a 73. Every original paint 73 Mach 1 that I have seen had paint around the opening to hide the body color and the frame of the marker light was also black. My original is peeling off I am sure they never sanded before they shot it.The showroom brochure shows both ways. Probably early prototype models did not get and marketing decided to paint before production started.

I seem to recall on my car that they also painted around the gas filler to hide body color there also, don't have a pic.

nh4

Thanks David, I have sent all of these pictures of your hood and a few others that are original to my painter. I would really like to have a rub off template of your hood, but I know you have a really bad back and are trying to get your 73 ready for the MOM. I will be talking to my painter guy today and will see if he would like to use it. He told me the pattern he uses looks just like your hood. I just think he has made the same mistake as others have cause of that article in mm, and put it to far from front of hood.

Does your brown hood have the black under the hood in back like the yellow one?

Geoff.
   You're welcome, hope al the info you have adds up to a stunning job.

Recapping on the paint. I am very happy with the performance of the SEM Hot Rod Black. I could care less if it doesn't have any 'texture'. It's easy to clean and seems not to be affected by Mother's Quick Detailer spray if and when it gets on it. OK, I hear you all saying Nooooo, not "polish"!!! 

Doing it again, I'd have my painter apply less black where the tape is and then shoot the Hot Rod clear over it all. Reason is to reduce the build up on the edges.

Looking at David's pics, one side looks like 5 1/4" the other 5 1/2" from the sides. Pretty damn good for a job done in just a few minutes!. Anyway, you can see what I meant by a 6" measurement not quite covering the curve of the bulge.

Geoff.
The one picture is blurry but I think it is out of center at windshield by like 3/8". What do you want in a $4,803.95 including tax car?

Back