• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Battery apron support

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
I am attampting to locate the battery support bracket that goes in the wheel well below the battery apron. In the picture it is the bracket above the bumper bracket that bolts to the apron. I am hoping that one of our parts contact may have one available.

mump_0209_03_+1972_ford_mustang_mach_1+_suspension.jpg

As far as I know it is not reproduced. I had to do a "Frankenstein" welding and grinding repair to mine while a section of the apron was removed.

Just to provide an update on this post. I was able to locate the very hard to find apron. Scott at West Coast Cougars came through with a spotless example. No rust on the piece. He even removed the whole frame section and apron around the part to avoid damaging the part I was going after. Don't forget that cougars are our mustang sibling for the most part. They can be a great resource for parts and sometimes less known at the salvage yards.

Hey there!!... you know, i've never seen that bracket before!! can you maybe take a picture of it alone and post it here? that may help a lot of guys that doesnt even know that piece exist!!...

As i bought my car fully dissambled, i still have some parts in boxes just because i dont know what they are!!... Maybe i have it and i can add it to my car! :)

OK Team! This is where I am today. Any chance these are reproduced yet?

Thanks!

kcmash

OK Team! This is where I am today. Any chance these are reproduced yet?

Thanks!

kcmash
They are not reproduced at this time. I am currently restoring a Grabber Lime 429 car and I just cut one of these off one of my parts cars and had it welded on. The hard part is the lower end of it is actually sandwiched in between the frame rail and the inner fender, so you have to open the frame up or just butt weld it. I checked all my other parts cars and only have two left, but need them for my other 429 projects. I think Cougar may be the way to go at this point until they reproduce them.

No wonder they all rust out there. I am shocked that no one has punched those out, With all the complex parts they stamp for our cars, this one would be easy to do, and every one of them has rust from being under the battery and in the wheel salt zone.

Do you suggest WCCC as a vendor?

No wonder they all rust out there. I am shocked that no one has punched those out, With all the complex parts they stamp for our cars, this one would be easy to do, and every one of them has rust from being under the battery and in the wheel salt zone.

Do you suggest WCCC as a vendor?
Not sure if they have this part but I highly recommend them as a vendor. They've help me with several really hard to find used parts. Good Luck!

This is a part that can rust out no matter where you live. We had very little rust in our Mach but the inner fender and the bracket had both been rusted out thanks to the battery. We could not find a replacement so we repaired it

20zv447.jpg

29vdz6t.jpg

that bracket was always the first to go because of the acid leaking from the autolite batteries.

the acid would get between the sheet metal and sit, add water and it ate right though the apron.

that bracket just gives the battery apron more support and is still not reproduced by anyone.

also of note the horns on the drivers side have a similar support bracket that is not reproduced.

it keeps the horns from flexing on the aprons too much. there is a 3rd plate that held the fuel evaporator canister as well on the passenger side by the firewall.

all the reproduction and NOS aprons do not have them they were a separate ford part and people forgot about them.

do you need them? well not really the battery tray bolt in holds the weight of the battery well and the top plate that secures the battery by the starter solenoid keeps the battery from rolling inward.

if you can find one they are great but you can live without one as well, same for the horn enforcement plates.

Hmm, never seen that part before - it seems to be missing... :-/ The same for the horns support and evaporator canister 72HCODE mentioned.

But I think I can live without them - it seems as stable as with it and hey, a little less weight around the front axle is always a winner :D

Tim

Does anyone have a Ford Part number and description for this part so I can call around?

Hmm, never seen that part before - it seems to be missing... :-/ The same for the horns support and evaporator canister 72HCODE mentioned.

But I think I can live without them - it seems as stable as with it and hey, a little less weight around the front axle is always a winner :D

Tim
HA - found them after all too when dancing with the grinding machine around the front - cool - they are in pretty cool condition. I did not notice that parts until you have mentioned it...

Does anyone have a Ford Part number and description for this part so I can call around?
Doesn't it appear in the shop manual?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back