• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Original valve covers from 73 4-v

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73 Conv. 4speed Q code

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ivy Glow Q code 4 speed Convertable loaded PDB,PS AIR, PW, TILT, RIM BLOW Ginger comfort weave
Best offer

e6200c1038153da72cce8b9545088605.jpg
92cd6493d6dff6b98f03f0c2884971a5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would like to buy these if you still have them.

Not trying to kill a sale but there are differences from year to year. The 73 eliminated some of the embossed letters. The early 71 had a splash rail welded inside until they put the stamping on top of the rocker to oil the mating surfaces.

If your car has rockers like this you are ok you have the proper oiling. Thin metal stamping under the bolt is what splashes the oil the early valve covers did in 71.

Also, the 2v had aluminum fulcrums and the 4v had the sinter-metalic that was much better. If you have the 2v rockers, recommend to swap to the 4v version!
My car is a '73. However, the original 2v heads were swapped at some point for 4v heads. Am I okay with these valve covers?

Yes! Valve covers will work on either! Since you the have 4v heads, you have the better rocker arm fulcrums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
They do look like nice dent free rust free covers. I suggest that you strip them with aircraft paint stripper there are little rust spots that creep under the paint. Then sand them good and get the correct Corporate Blue Ford paint and a new sticker and good to go. Hammer the gasket flange flat where the screws are they get bowed over time and if you get the rubber gaskets and glue to covers you can pull several times without damage.

Back