How fafr should I take my 4v head rebuild?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Yes I know another question about what I should do with my heads but I want to see what you guys think before I start buying parts for the heads and taking them to the machine shop.  Here is what I am planning on doing.  Is anything over kill and not needed?

Matching springs to the roller cam Comp Roller

Titanium retainers?

Screw in studs and guide plates.  I have to have these for the cam

Ferra valves

3 angle valve job

What else?

Yes I know another question about what I should do with my heads but I want to see what you guys think before I start buying parts for the heads and taking them to the machine shop.  Here is what I am planning on doing.  Is anything over kill and not needed?

Titanium retainers?

Ferra valves

3 angle valve job

What else?

Titanium retainers?

Ferra valves

3 angle valve job

What else?
ferrea valves are overkill and not worth paying much more for in a mild street app, but if you are getting a deal on them or already have them then its a different story but you need to match the valve keepers with the retainer angle and the type of retainer groove the valve has.

titanium retainers are pointless unless you plan on spinning over 7500 rpm and racing for money. basic chromoly retainers are fine for 99% of street apps and some companies make lightweight ones.

Titanium retainers?

Ferra valves

3 angle valve job

What else?
ferrea valves are overkill and not worth paying much more for in a mild street app, but if you are getting a deal on them or already have them then its a different story but you need to match the valve keepers with the retainer angle and the type of retainer groove the valve has.

titanium retainers are pointless unless you plan on spinning over 7500 rpm and racing for money. basic chromoly retainers are fine for 99% of street apps and some companies make lightweight ones.

The valves are $180 so I should just keep the stock ones?  

For the springs should I just give the machinist the cam specs and let him get the springs retainers, etc?  Or should I at least buy the springs that comp recommends and bring those and let the builder supply everything else?

Have the valves guides machined for positive seals, like vitron.

For peace of mind I would get one-piece stainless steel valves. Manley or Milodon single groove valves are fine.

The machinist will need to know what cam (valve lift), installed height and coil bind height, in case the spring seats need to be machined. It's also possible you may need to shim the valve springs to get the correct valve closed pressure. Selecting matching valve components isn't rocket science, but requires a fair amount of knowledge and research, with some math thrown in. A good machinist can be a big help, with good advice.

No to the stock valves, titanium is pointless in your application.

Ferrea valves are cheap insurance. Like SCGamecock, I paid around $180 for the full set.

If you get the matching springs to the cam, you'll be fine, probably want to get the matching retainers and locks from them as well, unless your machinist has a preferred brand.

Back