Deleting picture attachments

Stanglover

Question

@ Rocketfoot.

My 1 gb allotment for picture attachments was almost used up. I went into my user panel and deleted the attachments, thinking I was only deleting picture from MY folder, but when I pulled up a post of mine for reference for someone else, I found the pictures I wanted were gone from the post. Was that just on my copy or across the hole site? Perhaps I just did it wrong, but for a computer illiterate like me, that was a bit confusing.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Your pictures are uploaded to the site as attachments, take up space, and have a unique link address.  When you post a thread and add those images into the thread/post as attachments they are 'linked' within the thread/post using that unique link address, and they are displayed as long as the attachments are there at that unique link address.  Since you deleted the attachments, you've effectively removed any links to those images since the links have nothing to look at when called in the threads/posts.

Since you've deleted them, you'll need to either re-upload as new attachments and re-link them in any of your threads/posts needing those images, or you'll need to find another place to host your images and link to those images from that host/site.

But yes - you whacked 'em, now they're gone.

I hope that makes sense.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Well, sorry to say, but you lived up to your signature today. :@

I know how I would feel if, and maybe when, I do it.

I did what?   :jawdrop:

Good lesson for all of us.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Ooops!!!

Well I guess I did learn something new today...…….. how to screw up!

I wondered about the links when I did it, but thought it was just on my end, not the whole site.

I guess now, if anybody wants or needs to refer to any of my postes that had pictures, They'll have to contact me so I can repost.

Now, to be helpful in future to me and others, how do I reduce the number of pictures posted without losing them on the site, or is that not possible. If that IS the case, then as soon as I hit my 1 gig max, I can't upload any more. Hmmm!

Perhaps a change is needed, but that's waaaay above my pay-grade!

Thanks for the help and clarification,

Geoff.

Geoff.

Geez - how many and/or how big are your images?!  I've got something like 288 attachments and only hitting 93-ish MB!

Seems like it might be time to dump some resolution, or something.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Geez - how many and/or how big are your images?!  I've got something like 288 attachments and only hitting 93-ish MB!

Seems like it might be time to dump some resolution, or something.

I see. I tend to keep my camera, yes I said 'camera', (I don't use a cell phone) on highest resolution for anything I take pictures of.

I guess I'll have to sacrifice quality for quantity in future.

Thanks to all for your input. I'm sure there are many others on the forum in the same boat.

Geoff.

Geoff.

When I take pictures I like to use higher resolutions, too. When I want to upload them I use my Paint program from paint.net to reduce the resolution and add a -r to the name of the reduced size photo. That way if I want to look at details later I still have the high resolution photos stored on my computer or backup drives.

--Albert Einstein

When I take pictures I like to use higher resolutions, too. When I want to upload them I use my Paint program from paint.net to reduce the resolution and add a -r to the name of the reduced size photo. That way if I want to look at details later I still have the high resolution photos stored on my computer or backup drives.

Don, I'll check that program out. I do have other photo programs on my computer, but not any that easily resize pictures. The one I do have is not the best, so I don't bother with it. I have the same issue with videos.

Thanks for your help,

Geoff.

Geoff.

Having good resolution pics is indeed helpful for picking out details, but having too much resolution can be just as bad (IMHO).  I use a program I've had for over 12 years called PaintShop Pro X, and it does a great job of downsizing without becoming too grainy.  Even whacking the overall size of the pics by 50% reduces the file size footprint by over 80% - most of my posted pics are in the 1024x728 size and are usually under 300KB in file size, reduced from 5152x3864 (6.2MB).  Not to mention, PSP helps adjust the lighting and contrast for better pictures as well, since I don't have an expensive camera (20MP Canon Power Shot, before that a 3.2MP HP camera from the mid-2000s).  Most of the graphics applications out there can easily reduce sizes and adjust things like brightness and contrast without having to spend any or a lot of money to use.

I keep the full-size pics as well, of course - I just rename the new file to something descriptive, and leave the originals alone. I only reduce the pics when I need to share them publicly (like here, Facebook, other forums, etc.).

And I use my camera as well - my flip-phone only has a 3.0MP camera in it, so when you see the low-res pics I take, they're usually because I couldn't find the camera.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Having good resolution pics is indeed helpful for picking out details, but having too much resolution can be just as bad (IMHO).  I use a program I've had for over 12 years called PaintShop Pro X, and it does a great job of downsizing without becoming too grainy.  Even whacking the overall size of the pics by 50% reduces the file size footprint by over 80% - most of my posted pics are in the 1024x728 size and are usually under 300KB in file size, reduced from 5152x3864 (6.2MB).  Not to mention, PSP helps adjust the lighting and contrast for better pictures as well, since I don't have an expensive camera (20MP Canon Power Shot, before that a 3.2MP HP camera from the mid-2000s).  Most of the graphics applications out there can easily reduce sizes and adjust things like brightness and contrast without having to spend any or a lot of money to use.

I keep the full-size pics as well, of course - I just rename the new file to something descriptive, and leave the originals alone.  I only reduce the pics when I need to share them publicly (like here, Facebook, other forums, etc.).

And I use my camera as well - my flip-phone only has a 3.0MP camera in it, so when you see the low-res pics I take, they're usually because I couldn't find the camera.

Thanks Eric, some very useful tips and info there. I'll see if I can get Paint Shop Pro downloaded. Sounds like a good asset to have.

I freely admit I'm as dumb as a stump when it comes to computer/digital stuff, but with help, I usually find my way forward.

My camera is a Canon Power Shot S5is 8mp that gives me 3264 X 2448 at max. Had it for 10 or more years and still a good camera. However I did have the sonic lens motor crap out. I found a cheap camera online with the dreaded 'black screen' issue, but the lens motor was good. To cut a long story, I found out how to fix the black screen problem, but this would leave me still needing a motor. I bought yet another camera with an aperture problem and a good motor dead cheap.

Here's my point, I can strip down and fix a camera, I now have two fully working S5is camera's, but I have problems with relatively simple stuff on the computer. Not the way my mind was trained like the "young kids" on here.

Ain't getting old grand!!

Geoff.

Geoff.

This program is great for resizing, simple to use. My Nikon takes 3-4M pics and I use Easy Image Modifier constantly to resize for email and uploading for posting. It is not for doing photochoping.

https://www.inspire-soft.net/software/easy-image-modifier

73 ragtop, 1999 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue Paint, Phoenix Engine 302-335HP,  Edelbrock Carb & Performer manifold; c4 with 2000 stall and shiftkit; 3:55 auburn limited slip differential, Hedman shorties; Car Chemistry Exhaust

Classic Air; Tilt Steering Wheel; 1999 Chrysler Sebring bucket Seats ; power windows;

Another program I use that is very powerful, and more complex to use, Is GIMP 2. It has most of the bells and whistles that costly Pro photo programs have. This one is also free (like paint.net is).

https://www.gimp.org/

--Albert Einstein

I keep the full-size pics as well, of course - I just rename the new file to something descriptive, and leave the originals alone.  I only reduce the pics when I need to share them publicly (like here, Facebook, other forums, etc.).

Thanks Eric, some very useful tips and info there. I'll see if I can get Paint Shop Pro downloaded. Sounds like a good asset to have.

I freely admit I'm as dumb as a stump when it comes to computer/digital stuff, but with help, I usually find my way forward.

My camera is a Canon Power Shot S5is 8mp that gives me 3264 X 2448 at max. Had it for 10 or more years and still a good camera. However I did have the sonic lens motor crap out. I found a cheap camera online with the dreaded 'black screen' issue, but the lens motor was good. To cut a long story, I found out how to fix the black screen problem, but this would leave me still needing a motor. I bought yet another camera with an aperture problem and a good motor dead cheap.

Here's my point, I can strip down and fix a camera, I now have two fully working S5is camera's, but I have problems with relatively simple stuff on the computer. Not the way my mind was trained like the "young kids" on here.

Geoff.

I just turned 51 on NYE, so I'm not exactly a young-un, either.  rofl 

I have, however, been in the IT industry since after joining the USAF in '86, so I guess you could say I've pretty much grown up with it as well... albeit from the early days and had to learn stuff along the way as things changed that the young-uns these days already know.  Resizing digital photos is a lot different (and easier, it seems) that executing a pseudo runstream to print payroll checks and Leave-Earnings Statements on a Sperry 1100/60 mainframe, after all.  ;)

Ain't nothing wrong with fixing something that's fixable, either - I think that's something we all have in common on this site. ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

This program is great for resizing, simple to use. My Nikon takes 3-4M pics and I use Easy Image Modifier constantly to resize for email and uploading for posting. It is not for doing photochoping.

https://www.inspire-soft.net/software/easy-image-modifier

Thanks for this info. I'll check it out for sure.

Geoff.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I have, however, been in the IT industry since after joining the USAF in '86, so I guess you could say I've pretty much grown up with it as well... albeit from the early days and had to learn stuff along the way as things changed that the young-uns these days already know.  Resizing digital photos is a lot different (and easier, it seems) that executing a pseudo runstream to print payroll checks and Leave-Earnings Statements on a Sperry 1100/60 mainframe, after all.  ;)

Ain't nothing wrong with fixing something that's fixable, either - I think that's something we all have in common on this site. ::thumb::

Eric, you're just a young kid!! I'll be 72 later this month.

My first exposure to computers was in 89/90 when forced to change my job from building prototypes to being a lab tech (air bag triggers and sensors). It took me forever to figure out how to start my DOS computer each day!! Things are easier these days for sure...…. I can start my computer just by pressing a button now!

And yes, I love fixing things that are fixable if I can. I'd still love to tackle building a second engine for the Stang, but can't quite justify the expense……. and a nattering wife!

Geoff.

Another program I use that is very powerful, and more complex to use, Is GIMP 2. It has most of the bells and whistles that costly Pro photo programs have. This one is also free (like paint.net is).

https://www.gimp.org/

Thanks Don. I'll check this one out too.

All kinds of good help and suggestions coming forth.

I'm sure there will be many here interested in all this help across the site.

Geoff.

Geoff.

Geoff.

My first exposure to computers was in 89/90 when forced to change my job from building prototypes to being a lab tech (air bag triggers and sensors). It took me forever to figure out how to start my DOS computer each day!! Things are easier these days for sure...…. I can start my computer just by pressing a button now!

And yes, I love fixing things that are fixable if I can. I'd still love to tackle building a second engine for the Stang, but can't quite justify the expense……. and a nattering wife!

Wow!  Ummm - "Much respect, Sir."  :cool:

Seriously, though - I'm in awe of those who can leave one skill set behind and transition into another without too much hassle and/or drama.  I've been fortunate enough to 'ease into' my career changes along the way - they've all be somewhat related in one form, fashion, or other.

I first started working with computers in high school - took a BASIC programming class, and also worked with the early CAD programs (GrafPac, LaserCAD, SuperCAD, AutoCAD, etc.), the joined the Air Force and became a computer technician, instead of a draftsman (despite having placed 3rd during VICA Nationals was denied by the Air Force for failing a color-vision test).  My first computer was an Amiga A500 I bought from a friend in 1991, since I was not born into a wealthy family.  The first DOS machines I worked on were simple workstations that happened to be in the offices where the NCOs sat while us 'Tape Apes' ran the mainframes.  I actually left the Air Force 10 years later in '96, right about the time LANs and e-mail settled in and the IT industry started turning into a good career choice.  Since then, I've been working with the whole gamut of Air Force IT - hardware maintenance, server administration, web design & administration, system engineering, IT security, and just about everything else in between.

And just like everybody else on this site - whatever information I can share (whatever topic... useful or otherwise), I'm happy to accommodate.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Wow!  Ummm - "Much respect, Sir."  :cool:

Seriously, though - I'm in awe of those who can leave one skill set behind and transition into another without too much hassle and/or drama.  I've been fortunate enough to 'ease into' my career changes along the way - they've all be somewhat related in one form, fashion, or other.

I first started working with computers in high school - took a BASIC programming class, and also worked with the early CAD programs (GrafPac, LaserCAD, SuperCAD, AutoCAD, etc.), the joined the Air Force and became a computer technician, instead of a draftsman (despite having placed 3rd during VICA Nationals was denied by the Air Force for failing a color-vision test).  My first computer was an Amiga A500 I bought from a friend in 1991, since I was not born into a wealthy family.  The first DOS machines I worked on were simple workstations that happened to be in the offices where the NCOs sat while us 'Tape Apes' ran the mainframes.  I actually left the Air Force 10 years later in '96, right about the time LANs and e-mail settled in and the IT industry started turning into a good career choice.  Since then, I've been working with the whole gamut of Air Force IT - hardware maintenance, server administration, web design & administration, system engineering, IT security, and just about everything else in between.

And just like everybody else on this site - whatever information I can share (whatever topic... useful or otherwise), I'm happy to accommodate.

Interesting read Eric. In your field, I'm sure you'll make it to retirement without any major upsets to your future plans.

Without going into too much personal stuff, in 1989 the 'joke' was that the 16 of us who were laid off from the prototype shop, were being replace by computers. "We now have computers to do your job" was an exact quote by the head honcho of the (German) company that took us over. Two weeks after going through the union bumping/layoff procedure, now 1992, I was asked to go to work at a Machine Shop (where they did a lot of mold parts for us) to do a prototype job for the company who laid me off. I continued to do their prototyping of automotive air induction products for the next 17 years (including yet another change of company name) and I still get called out of retirement at times to do a proto job. So much for computers eh!

Geoff.

Geoff.

You can also use a function within Windows that allows dowsizing of pictures. Not trivial to use though.

Select your pictures and right mouse click. Select the Send To option. This will open your default email program and attach downsized pictures. You can actually select the amount of downsizing. Once the email opens up with the attachments you can then grab the attachments and move them to a folder in your computer.

Not striaght forward but easy once you get used to it plus you dont need to download any additional software.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Eric- Just a thought, and I realize this site is a hobby rather than your actual job, but can you restore Geoff's images intact from a backup? Not sure if those are even done on a regular basis for this site, but I'd imagine you have something in case of catastrophe. I don't know how much server space the site is using, but his 1 GB doesn't seem too bad compared to having him upload everything again from scratch. Maybe you could give him a temporary reprieve as far as storage space consumed, while he works on reducing image size. If he never really gets around to uploading everything from scratch then that information is lost to future users of the site. I have also been in IT (IT management now) since '86, and I started the day after the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster, of all the things to remember. I was taping news stories on VHS tape for much of that day. I was supposed to be at this company 30 days, then a year, and it ended up being almost 33 years at this point. I oversee 16 TB of storage at our company for two plants, and we do a fair amount of tape restores when dumb things occur. Started as a hobbyist in the late 1970's with the Apple II+ and IIe series computers, and I finally bought my own Apple IIc system along with a few peripherals at the low, low price of $3K back in 1984. lol The monochrome display included with that system was smaller than most cash registers these days. Someone's calculator watch now has way more computing power than that IIc, but it got me more into the hobby at the time. And yes the young'uns see new tech more quickly than possibly you or I (I am 55), but they seem to lack problem-solving abilities which will hopefully come with more experience. I am definitely from the DOS era, and I still find some commands are more powerful when issued from a command prompt rather than doing the same thing in GUI. Probably my favorite server operating system was SCO Unix 3.2 v4.2 that our ERP system server used back in the 90's. That thing would run forever (as long as a year) with no loss of performance and no reboots required, and it was all character-based. Best, Don

If you use the "ADD IMAGE TO POST"  button under the dialog box you never run out of room for pics and you don't have to worry about resizing them, IMGBB resizes them automatically for you.  I have probably posted 1,000 pics to the site and very rarely use the attachment button.

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

You can also use a function within Windows that allows dowsizing of pictures. Not trivial to use though.

Select your pictures and right mouse click. Select the Send To option. This will open your default email program and attach downsized pictures. You can actually select the amount of downsizing. Once the email opens up with the attachments you can then grab the attachments and move them to a folder in your computer.

Not striaght forward but easy once you get used to it plus you dont need to download any additional software.

That's a good thought Tony, I'll look at that also. I have video's I'd like to email, so I wonder if that will work on those as well. I'll try.

As said before, I just know I'm not the only one here to have made this phoopar (or however you want to spell it!), so all the suggestions made will benefit us all.

Thanks,

Geoff.

Geoff.

If you use the "ADD IMAGE TO POST"  button under the dialog box you never run out of room for pics and you don't have to worry about resizing them, IMGBB resizes them automatically for you.  I have probably posted 1,000 pics to the site and very rarely use the attachment button.

I have used that button on occasion. I just found it easier to attach pictures. Maybe that is the best option moving forward.

Thanks,

Geoff.

Geoff.

Eric-  Just a thought, and I realize this site is a hobby rather than your actual job, but can you restore Geoff's images intact from a backup?  Not sure if those are even done on a regular basis for this site, but I'd imagine you have something in case of catastrophe.  I don't know how much server space the site is using, but his 1 GB doesn't seem too bad compared to having him upload everything again from scratch.  Maybe you could give him a temporary reprieve as far as storage space consumed, while he works on reducing image size.  If he never really gets around to uploading everything from scratch then that information is lost to future users of the site.  I have also been in IT (IT management now) since '86, and I started the day after the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster, of all the things to remember.  I was taping news stories on VHS tape for much of that day.  I was supposed to be at this company 30 days, then a year, and it ended up being almost 33 years at this point.  I oversee 16 TB of storage at our company for two plants, and we do a fair amount of tape restores when dumb things occur.  Started as a hobbyist in the late 1970's with the Apple II+ and IIe series computers, and I finally bought my own Apple IIc system along with a few peripherals at the low, low price of $3K back in 1984.  lol  The monochrome display included with that system was smaller than most cash registers these days.  Someone's calculator watch now has way more computing power than that IIc, but it got me more into the hobby at the time.  And yes the young'uns see new tech more quickly than possibly you or I (I am 55), but they seem to lack problem-solving abilities which will hopefully come with more experience.  I am definitely from the DOS era, and I still find some commands are more powerful when issued from a command prompt rather than doing the same thing in GUI.  Probably my favorite server operating system was SCO Unix 3.2 v4.2 that our ERP system server used back in the 90's.  That thing would run forever (as long as a year) with no loss of performance and no reboots required, and it was all character-based.  Best, Don

Don, I definitely F'd up without knowing the consequences by deleting what I thought were just pictures from my 1 gig allotment space.

I also realize there are probably more non members scanning this forum than members, although I do often check what's going on without signing in. If any of those non members want to see pics, then they'll need to join. Any members are welcome to PM me or just pull up the post and request new pics. I'm not about to go through the dozens of posts to replace the pics. If it IS possible to do it via a back up, great, but it's a lot of work for something that may or may not be ever used again.

Thanks for your input and help,

Geoff.

Geoff.

That's an interesting thought, Don.  However, I'm simply a forum admin, not the site admin - so I don't have access to the backside of the forums software... just the front side.  Rocketfoot would have to do that, and even then, it might be something that would involve a ticket and payment to the host since it would most likely be a surgical procedure performed by the host admins themselves.  He'll have to weigh-in on that one.

Ha!  A walk down memory lane.  My BASIC and PASCAL programming classes in high school were done on Franklin Ace 1000s (Apple II+ clones), but we had 16 color monitors.  One of my favorite server OSs was VMS 7.1 on our Digital VAX 750, 785, and 8650 mainframes.  Next would be Win2K Adv Server (since I took a few classes on that and got my MCSA for it as well), but Solaris 10 was pretty dang awesome, I must say.  Learned enough of that to know how to not be dangerous, and discovered the MacOSX is nothing more than Apple's version of Linux (which, that information has been helpful since I acquired my 'dumpster MacBook Pro' back in 2009).  I'm re-living a little bit of that right now as I build a Raspberry Pi 3B+ for my Mom, running Raspbian OS - once I get it Mom-proof, that should pretty much be all the computer she needs (easy to fix and cheap to replace as well when she blows it up next time).

Eric

mach1sig2.gif