71-73 2019 MCA Judging Rules

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
I have attached the 2019 revision to the 71-73 MCA Judging Rules.  The only highlighted changes noted were in Exhaust, Tires, and Paint.  I will review more thoroughly against the last posted rules for 2017 to see if I can identify any other changes. 

MCA 71-73 Rules 01 06 2019.pdf

Attachments

• MCA 71-73 Rules 01 06 2019.pdf
    232 KB · Views: 99
I have attached the 2019 revision to the 71-73 MCA Judging Rules.  The only highlighted changes noted were in Exhaust, Tires, and Paint.  I will review more thoroughly against the last posted rules for 2017 to see if I can identify any other changes. 
Thx for posting, I like to read these for information purposes.

Thanks from me too. Very useful to have this information. Even though not all of my car meets the criteria, it is acceptable to the casual observer as well as the one that counts, me

Geoff.

Thanks from me too. Very useful to have this information. Even though not all of my car meets the criteria, it is acceptable to the casual observer as well as the one that counts, me

Geoff.
Relax... he just put it up for those of us here that choose to follow the information provided. Nothing to do with how car’s on this site stack up against the MCA rules. I’m sure you really like your car, as you should!

Geoff.
Relax... he just put it up for those of us here that choose to follow the information provided. Nothing to do with how car’s on this site stack up against the MCA rules. I’m sure you really like your car, as you should!
 Sometimes it's better to agree than disagree. In this case I do agree with your comments. I ought not to have made it about MY car, but our cars in general.

If it looks factory and is correct to the most point, then that's what counts. That was my point that I didn't address very well. My mistake.

To those amongst us who have the desire to restore to MCA rules, that's awesome.

Geoff.

7173Vert and Stanglover you are both right. My intent was to share with those who may be interested in reviewing them and if they would like to apply some or all of the judging aspects to their car they can. That is the great thing about our group. We have a wide spectrum of how folks want to complete their own car. Everyone on the forum should respect each individuals goals to get their car complete. I think we all do that. I keep coming back here and stay connected because everyone here is good folk.

I actually enjoyed reading that !!! Though no a "clubber" or show my collection - nice to see that 1971 is called out for the Autolite parts (as it should be) !!! Restoring a 1971 car is harder IMO than a any other Boss IMO.

WHAT HAPPENS when the rules are OUTRIGHT WRONG? Do you have to educate just the judge or do you have to "make a case to MCA" BEFORE an event? (after doesn't seem logical) I would think all should be judged on the same grounds. I'm going to talk to guys in AZ (judges)

ESPECIALLY on the point that "shifter linkage" is noted as Phosphate and oil. Is that just they pasted from 1969 cars??? EVERY 1971 rods were Gold Dichromate including the lockout I have seen.

Again really like reading.

Mark

7173Vert and Stanglover you are both right.  My intent was to share with those who may be interested in reviewing them and if they would like to apply some or all of the judging aspects to their car they can.  That is the great thing about our group.  We have a wide spectrum of how folks want to complete their own car.  Everyone on the forum should respect each individuals goals to get their car complete.  I think we all do that.  I keep coming back here and stay connected because everyone here is good folk.
 WELL SAID!!

and very much appreciated.

Geoff.

There are a few things that are odd to me. They say no floor mats. Floor mats are on my window sticker you could order them. They also say no clock is ok in long console. 71 was the only year the clock got left out if you got the dash mounted clock. They also state that in 73 there was an AM/FM 8 Track option. I would love to see documentation on that one. If there had been one I would have ordered it. They also said matching wheel for spare ok. Like Mag. 500 or forged alu. That never happened either.

They have always left lots of stuff vague for sure. Just stating as original. Without pictures that is left up to each judge. Did not see anything about Boss much. Is that a different set of rules? Nothing about Special Paint cars either.

They make statement about 71 -73 T-5 emblems that is not correct either.

I am going to order a Marti for the 72 I have that is Q code that had ram air to see what shows up. They say zero 72 or 73 Q code ram air. Here is a Marti showing Ram Air on a 1972 pic attached.

Attached is the first page of the window sticker showing the Front Color Keyed Floor Mats option for $13.30 about 3/4 way down.

IMG_0001.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_0001.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 9
David, Something to think about. That Marti shows an order date in February but the car wasn't built for over 8 months. There had to be a reason for the delay. An example to compare is this. In 1984 I ordered a corvette with the 4+3 transmission. It was a 4 speed manual with a 2 speed auto behind it. They were having problems with the auto transmission side during the production run and my order was put on hold.  As I wouldn't change my order to the 700R4 trans I ended up waiting 4 extra months over the 700R4 cars. Maybe the odd Q code ram air is the reason for the 8 month wait.

David, Something to think about. That Marti shows an order date in February but the car wasn't built for over 8 months. There had to be a reason for the delay. An example to compare is this. In 1984 I ordered a corvette with the 4+3 transmission. It was a 4 speed manual with a 2 speed auto behind it. They were having problems with the auto transmission side during the production run and my order was put on hold.  As I wouldn't change my order to the 700R4 trans I ended up waiting 4 extra months over the 700R4 cars. Maybe the odd Q code ram air is the reason for the 8 month wait.
Good point. I do remember reading somewhere that the federal regulations emission issue Ford had with ram air on Q code cars began mid-production in 1972. According to Marti's production numbers, there were 2,180 1972 Ram Air cars made in some combination of H-code and Q-code models. It seems reasonable to think that there were 1972 Q-code Ram Air cars that could have been ordered, built and delivered in 1971 before the Fed put the clamps on Ford in the 1972 calendar year.

Marti also notes, that in 1973 there were 603 Ram Air cars "every last one of them" were H-code cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
David, I am aware that Ford was dealing with the EPA certification on the 72 4 barrel motors. At the time the 72 model year production started they had not received their CARB certifications on the 4 barrel ram air motors. It was indicated that a few 4 barrels with ram did make it out before the EPA advised them they were not CARB certified and at that point production stopped on the 4 barrel with ram air. Lets be honest that there has not been a major focus on the 71-73 by MCA. Their judging rules are not perfect, but I do not believe any rules are perfect. If you are showing a car and do not agree with the rules than submit documentation and known original equipment cars to MCA. The example of the Marti you show when shared with a judge in my opinion would not lead to a points deduction. If you have a unique car I always recommend thorough documentation with you anytime the car is being judged. That will help state your case to the judges. At MCACN this year I had a couple of MCA Judges point out several things that they felt were incorrect in my car. This has lead to some of my recent questions of the group. When I have the information to make me feel comfortable with my car and what I have researched to be original I am ok with that. I did not build this car for that judge or that show. I built it for me and the information I have gathered on originality. My experience with MCA run the spectrum. Some guys who say many things are wrong to some guys who say everything is right. That is just the human element. I guess having a 20+ year career in Human Resources has taught me to respect others opinions and views and move on. Please do not think I am questioning your information, because I know you are very knowledgeable and have real examples to reference. I just think the only way MCA is going to get better is if we participate and convince things to change.

Item 2 a. trunk floor is incomplete/wrong. The 71 was light grey speckle, 72-73 was dark grey speckle. Chuck

The MCA is pretty reasonable when it comes to rules. However, they do require proof. If you have a car with a documented history that shows a feature you can prove was on the car when it was made, they will amend the rules. That's why they put out new versions from time to time. The key is being able to document that the car was not changed with over the counter replacement parts or body repairs performed in the areas in question.

The MCA was one reason my car just got parked. I took to Atlanta to MCA Nationals I think 1982. I had copies of my order form, window stickers and dealer invoice. I was the original and only owner. I was in an un restored class at that time. I did get a third place. Then a week of so later I get a letter with a list of everything that is incorrect on the car. They said for me to do any better I had to change them. Lots of fasteners were stated to be incorrect. Needless to say I never went back.

Then about a week later a guy shows up at my home with and F-350 and a car trailer with I think Michigan plates. He tells me he is here to buy my car. He had got the address info from a judge at the MCA that I will not say but starts with a P, lol. I told him to just get in his truck and leave. He offered me $25,000 for the car then and I told him again it was not for sale at any price to just leave.

So the car sat in the barn since then. They were very hard headed back then on the rules only one was right. I am sure Ford never shut an assembly line down because a fastener was not there. They used something to keep them going.

I do not do good with politics which is what MCA is.

I was a department manager for years and also a program manager for BMW, Ford, Toyota, John Deere, Honda and many other programs. I held those jobs because I respected others and let them do their jobs but was good at keeping things moving. If the 50th. ann had not done so good MCA would not be around today. I see people in my local Mustang club do the politics over and over. They have to attend a MCA national to get an award that could be mailed to them.

One thing that can make a Marti report incorrect is just like the elections when Florida had such a problem with the holes punched in the voting cards not being clear or incorrect. Marti has, or had, boxes of IBM punch cards that told what options were to be installed on the vehicle. If a hole got plugged up or an extra hole got punched somehow it changed the options. My punch cards were still in my car due to no dealer prep. That was a simple effective way to do it back then which actually started with the 1890 census which was compiled using punch cards and a mechanical computer.

So there are really nice examples of original cars that get changed to fit some made up rules that should have had more research before writing them and should have been more acceptable to change in the past.

Back