Gas tank size?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke17

Reaction score
My Car
1973 coupe
I started looking for a new fuel lines and a gas tank, my car hasn' t been on the road since 2001 so I imagine its shot. Available are 20 or 22 gallon versions with or without drains. I dont want to dig my car out in midwinter so how do I know what I have? Motor is a 302 and it's a 1973 if that matters. Thanks.

Stock tank is 20 gallon, no drain. I've never seen a 22 gal or one with a drain available for a 71-73. You might be looking at a bad listing showing a 69 or 70 part.

Best place to buy a new tank is Rock Auto.

The best tank that I know of and is what I bought is the 20 gallon Spectra Premium F32A. It is made in Canada and is ** 'Terne Coat' lined so it won't be affected by Ethanol or rust.

I also bought the Dorman 692232 sending unit, but it is not listed on Rock Auto right now. Do NOT buy the Spectra Premium FG87A, it is incorrectly listed for the Mustang fuel tank. Buy the best sending unit you can get, but it still may need to be calibrated. I set mine up to read 1/4 tank with 5 gallons (19 liters) in the empty tank. After all, it's the bottom 1/4 that counts! I'd also replace all the fuel lines with SS. NPD for example, sell it pre-bent, but it may need tweaking for an exact fit. If you have rust in your filter, it is likely from the fuel lines. This is what I took off my car and this bit is far better than most of it was.

** To clarify, Ni-Terne is also used to describe Terne Coat, which is a lead/tin coating (I believe) applied to the steel before forming.

2013 bmw 650i 0 60

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip, I did buy the Spectra from Autozone, with the discount I got it for $148 plus tax.

Thanks for the tip, I did buy the Spectra from Autozone, with the discount I got it for $148 plus tax.
 Sweeeet!!

Here's another hot tip. Go to a good hardware store and buy 3 1/2 x 3/8 GALVANIZED carriage bolts, washers and nuts. The ones taken out I think were 4", but 3 1/2 worked for me. If you ever need to drop the tank in future, no rusted up bolts!

Geoff.

Sweeeet!!

Here's another hot tip. Go to a good hardware store and buy 3 1/2 x 3/8 GALVANIZED carriage bolts, washers and nuts. The ones taken out I think were 4", but 3 1/2 worked for me. If you ever need to drop the tank in future, no rusted up bolts!

Geoff.
Good idea thanks!

I bought is the 20 gallon Spectra Premium F32A. Finally had some time to pull it out of the box and I noticed there is a third large hole (2" across +/-) on the bottom side. With the cold temperatures and all I haven't been able to go out there and see what the original looks like. My back doesn't do well on a cold floor. Since I've never had to replace a gas tank before I'm not sure what this is, could it be the drain or venting?

Here is a picture of the Spectra tank. The rubber pads I chose to put on. They are solid not foam and are there to relieve any chance of vibration. The 2" or so hole is the top vent. This had a 5/16" tube from the canister back to the tank.

Also I mentioned before to get some 3/8" x 3 1/2" or 4" galvanized carriage bolts, washers and nuts. No more rusted bolts should you need to drop the tank again, but that's your choice.

Let me know if you need more help.

Geoff.

Another pic or three. For some reason unknown to me, I could only upload 1 pic before.

Bottom pic is of course the new filler neck grommet. Middle pic is the correct orientation for the sender unit..

There has been a lot posted on tanks and replacement of lines by myself and others if you search.

Thanks for the pictures, I see now the right orientation for the sending unit. Thanks.

Thanks for the pictures, I see now the right orientation for the sending unit. Thanks.
 Yes, glad to help out. I have more pics if you need them.

Not sure how much you have been following posts recently on gas tanks, sending unite, fuel lines etc. etc., but lots of info is on the Forum.

Geoff.

I placed the sending unit in the tank and the tube faces the rear (toward the filler neck). I wo der if it's the right unit? It's the Spectra FG87A.

I went back on line and checked other sites, its the right part supposedly for 73 Mustangs. If I oriented it the other way the pickup tube is up in the air inside the tank. As it is now it sits near the bottom. I guess its not a big deal to route the rubber hose, should be OK.

I placed the sending unit in the tank and the tube faces the rear (toward the filler neck). I wo der if it's the right unit? It's the Spectra FG87A.
 OK, this is what I went through and I explained the issue. The Spectra FG87A is NOT any Mustang sending unit. No idea what it is for unless it's for a car with a right hand outlet in the tank and the fuel line goes down that side.

It was recommended to buy the Dorman 692-232 which is correct. This one is Stainless Steel with a brass float. There are other brands out there similar.

I bought mine from Rock Auto and after I sent it back and pointed out the issue, it was removed from the Mustang listing, maybe it's back, I haven't checked.

SEND IT BACK!!

Geoff.

This is what you bought. Outlet points to the back.

This is what it should look like. This one is the original, but is the correct orientation.

Back