Pertronix Ignitor III

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdills

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
In my original build plan I was thinking MSD box and distributor. I am considering an Ignitor III distributor instead to eliminate a box to fail. The ignitor module is small enough to keep a spare in the car in case of failure.

Anyone have experience (good or bad) with the Ignitor III set-up?

I had issues with the III. as have other members here. the II is a much better unit. My III could not keep timing after about 2-3 months. It would jump all over the place like it was loose or something. Didn't matter what I tried, including replacing it.

UNLESS Pertronix have redesigned the plastic bushing between the two plates, DO NOT BUY THIS ONE!!

I bought one about 4 years ago and it failed because the stupid plastic bushing was so loose, it actually caused the air gap to close completely, and along with other factors that are too lengthy to go into right now, it was the direct cause of a load of ignition issues which were clearly seem on a distributor machine. I sent mine back to Pertronix and they, without admitting fault, replaced it with an Ignitor II AND matching coil. I am still running this today and is faultless. There was nothing wrong with the electronics as far as I could determine with the PIII, it was a poor mechanical design. By now, they may have redesign it, I don't know. If they have, it would be a good buy, if not stay away from it.

Also, not knowing your engine or distributor, you will very likely need to alter the amount of crankshaft degree rotation. What I mean is most reman or even stock Autolite, Motorcraft distributors are set with 30 degrees on the crank. A 351C typically runs best with only 20 deg. on the crank in order to be able to advance the initial timing from about 6 deg. to 14-16 deg. vacuum plugged off. Add in only about 4-6 deg vacuum on top and your motor will run like a charm without spark rattle on crappy ethanol low octane (91) fuel.

There have been many post on rebuilding a stock distributor and I have detailed my own experience learning just how to do it. However, dumb-ass me deleted all the pictures from my posts (you may have read about that!!) I'll be happy to go over that procedure again if you need it.

My choice would be to go for the Pertronix Ignitor II and coil. Don't forget also, you'll need a full 12 volts to run it. Your choices are cut and bypass the pink resistor wire or I believe Pertronix make a relay that will do the job without cutting the pink wire. Check that out.

Geoff.

EDIT: The reference to the Pertronix Ignitor III is for the Ford unit only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had issues with the III. as have other members here. the II is a much better unit. My III could not keep timing after about 2-3 months. It would jump all over the place like it was loose or something. Didn't matter what I tried, including replacing it.
 That exactly what mine was doing. Bushing failure. Totally agree.

Geoff.

I had the Igniter III on my Mach 1 for almost 2 years. Worked great! I have it for sale if interested. Switched to MSD for hotter spark for my rebuilt engine.

I was reading another post on this website, about someone having trouble with his Pertronix III, about a year ago. I had been running a Pertronix II for years and thought the III must be better......and perhaps the other person may have other issues or limited mechanical skills. Well, that's what I thought anyway. I went right ahead and purchased the newer Pertronix III, even though my original II was functioning well. After installing the new III unit I took my car for a little test drive. The car started right up, everything fine. I got on the freeway, was crusing at around 60, and wanted to feel how it ran under load, so I accelerated firmly avoiding passing gear and...….nothing. The engine just quit on me on the freeway. Good luck helped me pull over to a stop on the shoulder through the traffic and I had a flatbed haul me home. I re-checked the wiring for any connection issues but everything was good and still no spark, so, I yanked the brand new III unit out, re-installed my old II unit and it lit once more. After 15 minutes of use that @%#$#& Pertronix III unit was in the trash can and I ordered a new II unit, which I put in and has been fine. I just had to find the original post on this site and contact the person who warned the readers, just to tell him my story and to let him know how right he was. Avoid the Pertronix III.

I was reading another post on this website, about someone having trouble with his Pertronix III, about a year ago. I had been running a Pertronix II for years and thought the III must be better......and perhaps the other person may have other issues or limited mechanical skills. Well, that's what I thought anyway. I went right ahead and purchased the newer Pertronix III, even though my original II was functioning well. After installing the new III unit I took my car for a little test drive. The car started right up, everything fine. I got on the freeway, was crusing at around 60, and wanted to feel how it ran under load, so I accelerated firmly avoiding passing gear and...….nothing. The engine just quit on me on the freeway. Good luck helped me pull over to a stop on the shoulder through the traffic and I had a flatbed haul me home. I re-checked the wiring for any connection issues but everything was good and still no spark, so, I yanked the brand new III unit out, re-installed my old II unit and it lit once more. After 15 minutes of use that @%#$#& Pertronix III unit was in the trash can and I ordered a new II unit, which I put in and has been fine. I just had to find the original post on this site and contact the person who warned the readers, just to tell him my story and to let him know how right he was. Avoid the Pertronix III.
 That was probably me. I posted on my experience with a P III some time ago.

While I had no problems with the electronic side of it, it was the mechanical assembly. The plastic bushing between the two plates (Ford model only I believe) was total crap and either wore out within days or was totally inadequate from the start. The module could be seen moving around when on a distributor machine. It actually was touching the cam and likely shorting out. Marks could be seen where the contact was. I sent it back to Pertronix and they replaced it with a P II and coil, which I'm still running.

IF Pertronix redesign this bushing to be similar to the DuraSpark, I think the  P III would be good, but until then and to be fair, I have not checked, don't buy it for the Ford.

Geoff.

Back