Kickdown rod/cable

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkka

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
[url=https://ibb.co/cgCFb3N][img]https://i.ibb.co/j6WMVfL/IMG-20190713-145003409.jpg[/img][/url]
I have a 302 2v which was upgraded to a 4v by prior owner.  We just noticed there is no kickdown rod/cable attached.  I recently purchased a Holley 4v to replace the Carter the prior owner attached.  we have all of the required Lokar cables.  My question is whether or not the outer link to the kickdown

was removed or was an inner component taken out where I need to go into the trans?  Not my forte, but concerned.

The kickdown lever on the trans end keys onto the shaft under the nut in the center of the neutral safety switch. IIRC, the Lokar comes with all it's own levers and brackets.

111324d1285451831-c4-transmission-shift-lever-position-dsc_0156.jpg

if you use the Lokar kit, keep in mind they make excellent cables but their brackets are bad jokes.

The KD kits they offer for FMX is ridiculously wrong and the "High tech" for c4 and c6 are better but the cable is exposed way too much.

For the FMX, i've posted a pdf of the bracket that is really required (in sniper install thread) and for the c4/c6, the base of the bracket is ok, but should be modified to have the cable exposed outside the sleeve just about the length it travels vs the +-3 inches too long that their kit creates .

You should be able to tighten it using a serrated washer (if it's no provided), that should prevent it to turn while you torque.

You could also make your own bracket that is using 2 bolts vs one like I did. Then you'd fix the torque (and potentially getting loose) issue and the sleeve being way too far.

I will face the same prob when i'll be working on my c6, so please share your findings when you done.

Back