1972 Q code vert on E bay $55,000.00

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure a rare car but...

A lot of money without much in the way of overall condition and lack of pics. How do you expect to sell a $50k car with such little info?

I would want to see a Marti report. Has blackout hood which is incorrect along with hood locks. Has the Decor Group grille which supports the possibility of side stripes but would NOT have with the lower rocker chrome moldings. So not sure what this came with?

Best of luck to seller though as it is a very desirable car...

.... aaaaand another prime example of "how not" to list a car on eBay.

So, if the car originally had black sidestripes and the Decor group, what's with the rocker and wheel well moldings?

In 72 you got the NASA hood but the locks and paint would have been an option. My 72 Q has the NASA hood and if you read the Ford Facts book it states the Q gets the hood.

There would have been no rocker or wheel moldings on a Decor Group car. Mine has them but it was not DG and had the protection package.

In 72 you got the NASA hood but the locks and paint would have been an option. My 72 Q has the NASA hood and if you read the Ford Facts book it states the Q gets the hood.

There would have been no rocker or wheel moldings on a Decor Group car. Mine has them but it was not DG and had the protection package.
David,

I don't believe the black hood and hood locks were a separate option for 1972. I looked through the 1972 Ford published option list and it was not there? It does list it as a separate option for 1973 however.

David,

I don't believe the black hood and hood locks were a separate option for 1972. I looked through the 1972 Ford published option list and it was not there? It does list it as a separate option for 1973 however.
Pretty sure I saw in facts book will have to look again. I was going to paint one without locks and one with when I painted mine so next owner could make it like original. The Q code got you the hood but not the locks and then you added the locks. I have a couple NASA hoods without locks.

OK found Ray's copy of the Ford facts. The NASA hood was part of what you got with the 351 4-V Q code package. It looks like the black or argent and hood locks was part of the Ram Air package. His copy is the early edition. That might have changed when they eliminated the ram air on Q code. They would have needed a way to get the hood black or argent & locks without ram air for those cars. Don't know where to get the later edition. 

I do not know if this will link to his copy or not never done this.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-facts-book-rev-10-71

For 1972 the NASA hood was included with any Q code equipped Mustang. The separate option for a tu-tone non ram air NASA hood was a 1973 only option. The only way to get the argent or black accent paint on the 72 NASA hood was to order the Ram Air option for the 351 2bl or 4bl (pre 1/72 on 4bl). The elimination of the 4bl Ram Air was a emissions/certification issue between Ford and our ever watchful Government.

So production date on vehicle would determine how it was equipped and if it did indeed have a Q ram air setup. I have seen Ram Air on 1972 Q code Gran Torino's, so I know they exist. Would really like to see the Marti on this one to see  how equipped, production date, and if there is anything else to help make this car more qualified for the "One of One" club!     :)

Really nicely optioned car...

Based on the provided info the car did not originally have...

Hood blackout and hood locks

Body side stripes

Color keyed front bumper and fender/hood trim...would have been chrome since no Decor Group option

Grille is the Decor group but since car did not have that option would have had basic grille

Rear spoiler

Magnums

Rear valance exhaust cut outs...would have had turn down exhaust

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoooo, it's from CT! Betcha she's had lots of panels replaced. For $55k, I'd expect that car to be 99% correct and near #4 condition, not one that's been dolled up with a bunch of non-original bits, and not even done correctly at that....

As much as I appreciate what Marti does, I still feel like he's too much of a "rarity enabler" so you can feel that your car is special. I'm kinda surprised he isn't specifically offering a "1 of 1" service. Like somehow the black interior color makes the car "unique"

...and what the heck does putting your car on display at a museum have to do with "provenance".  

45tfrds5rtf.jpg

I remember this car well. I got some info on it and was considering buying it at one point. I just couldn't get my arms around the baby blue paint. Too bad it wasn't a grabber blue car. And, yes, the car has had extensive rust repair with many body panels replaced. The car sold on Ebay for a fairly low price and was on there a long time. I think it finally went for something like $19K. The seller is dreaming. Good luck to him though.

I looked at this car as well and agree with what Kevin said. I did a google search of the vin and also found that the engine had been replaced I believe. Very cool car no doubt but it's not an unmolested example so buyer beware........

If it still looks like these pics underneath, there are some serious sins hidden by the slathered on undercoating.

https://www.primoclassicsllc.com/1972-ford-mustang-c-278.htm

or here

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/932368/1972-ford-mustang-for-sale-in-lakeland-florida-33810

Guess painting the lower body blackout makes it worth $20k more...
lollerz Man, that undercarriage is NASTY! Did anyone notice the rear shocks aren't staggered? I suspect they couldn't use the staggered shock mount because of those atrocious rear shocks!

Back