• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Trunk Floor Patch & Gas Tank 73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
work in progress
302 automatic
[url=https://ibb.co/cwk3bw3][img]https://i.ibb.co/DYzWGYW/IMG-3420.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://statewideinventory.org/used-cars]statewide auto sun valley[/url]
The PO had cut a hole in the trunk for clearance on tank (pic 3) he used.  I'd like to just replace the middle with a patch.  Pic 1 shows the patch piece needed, pic 2 is off the hole in trunk now that would be cut to match the patch.  I also need a tank, not sure if I can find both these items from the same place.  

Shipping would be to 40228 (louisville, KY)

Please email me at [email protected] with price.

Thanks

Bob

The only parts car I have was hit hard in the back so trunk is trash.

I am thinking you will have to go with a Dynacorn repo and who ever is closest to you will save you shipping. Don is on the forum and can get both trunk and gas tank.

I doubt that the repo floor will be close enough to just cut the center out but you can take a piece of cardboard and make a template of the profile from your floor cut it and then check the repo floor might get lucky.

I am thinking you will have to go with a Dynacorn repo and who ever is closest to you will save you shipping. Don is on the forum and can get both trunk and gas tank.

I doubt that the repo floor will be close enough to just cut the center out but you can take a piece of cardboard and make a template of the profile from your floor cut it and then check the repo floor might get lucky.

Thanks for the reply.  What a shame, that mustang was beautiful.

Bob

Bob
It was a sad day when I picked it up. He ordered the car new, one owner, dated in the car got married in the car. He raised two boys in the car and they drove it in his funeral procession. One of the sons was out and someone ran into the rear and knocked it into another car. Had just had the top put on, had heads pulled and valve job, ceramic coated headers and dual Pypes stainless exhaust installed. It still rand and drove. Great parts car but not worth fixing. Was really rare MM did a center story about this model 351 2-V with three speed they only made 82 of them.

I may be able to assist you....I have a trunk pan that I cut out --in 2 pieces that could be welded and seamed as one....and a used tank from my 73 Mach 1 in great condition.....

Let me know if you are interested and I can get some pics....

Anthony

I may be able to assist you....I have a trunk pan that I cut out --in 2 pieces that could be welded and seamed as one....and a used tank from my 73 Mach 1 in great condition.....

Let me know if you are interested and I can get some pics....

Anthony
Pics would be great, thanks

What goes in top of tank? I'm assuming it's some type of vent. Looks like the new tanks do not come with this and the one in my old tank won't fit. Where can I buy it?

Thanks

rjpohl, you definitely need a new set up.  The piece in the top of your tank looks like a sender harvested from the saddle tank of a large truck. There is a very strong need for a thread on "Things" found in the Backyard Engineering Dept by previous owners!

The piece you need for the top of your tank is a fuel vapor separator valve. It stored fuel vapors from the tank into a storage canister located on the rear of the passenger side shock tower area. When the vehicle was started the vapors were pulled from the canister via a corrugated tube into the air cleaner where they were drawn into the carburetor and rest is history. The valve can be a tough find. Was used from 71-73 (through 75 on the Maverick) on all Ford corporate car lines except for station wagons and Rancheros. To my knowledge this valve is not being reproduced at this time. I would start with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motorcity Mustang. If you know of any salvage yards in your area that may still have some 70's vehicles you could try your luck with them. D1AZ-9B328-A is the part number if you want to try your luck online.

If you do find a used valve the foam material on the underside is probably MIA. That foam material was used to keep liquid fuel from entering the valve and stopping the very small orifice up. There have been a few threads on this subject, but the fix is to substitute stainless steel wool.

After seeing the modifications performed by the previous owner with the tank, I hope they at least left the rest of the system intact. The illustration shows the fuel system (from the Ford MPC), the D1AZ-9B328-A valve and the orifice area of the valve.

Good luck with your project.

D1AZ-9B328-A

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

thanks for the info. I believe the lines from back to front are still there but the canister is missing. I'll check for lines next time I warm garage up.

Bob

Bob, the charcoal canister for 1973 is a one year only part. It was installed on full size Ford, Torino, Mustang, Maverick, Thunderbird, Bronco, E and F series trucks 100-350.

There still should be a good many of them out"There". The part number is D3AZ-9D653-B replaced by C if you want to search on line. It's larger than the 71-72 version and mounts a little higher. Once you determine exactly what is missing I would once again suggest Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motorcity Mustang, They both have parts cars and know these Mustangs as well as anyone.

The illustration shows the canister mounting in a 73 and the size difference between the smaller 71-72 and the larger 73 version.  Ahhhh....guess size does make a difference!     :D

Charcoal canister in a 73

71 Canister- D1AZ-9D653-A

73 Canister-D3AZ-9D653-B replaced by C

Bob
It was a sad day when I picked it up. He ordered the car new, one owner, dated in the car got married in the car. He raised two boys in the car and they drove it in his funeral procession. One of the sons was out and someone ran into the rear and knocked it into another car. Had just had the top put on, had heads pulled and valve job, ceramic coated headers and dual Pypes stainless exhaust installed. It still rand and drove. Great parts car but not worth fixing. Was really rare MM did a center story about this model 351 2-V with three speed they only made 82 of them.
Can you sell some sheet metal from thus accident car ?  I need floor patch pc.s and metal under battery tray.  Also will buy interior parts , shock tower brace, signal cam et.. Let me know. Cheers.

The car is pretty twisted up. I do have shock tower braces.

With you in Japan you need to put your list together with everything you need and post it. One of the Mustang suppliers could maybe fill your complete order.

I have not shipped to Japan but most countries require the shipment to be fumigated by a licensed pest control. Also any wood used in packaging has to be marked that it has been through heat process to kill any bugs. Plywood goes through that process so does not need second dose.

Of course you can use a shipping container also.

Making multiple shipments to Japan will get pricy.

That is unless you live in Japan, North Carolina. My dad was born there but they built a lake and the town is under water now.

The car is pretty twisted up. I do have shock tower braces.

With you in Japan you need to put your list together with everything you need and post it. One of the Mustang suppliers could maybe fill your complete order.

I have not shipped to Japan but most countries require the shipment to be fumigated by a licensed pest control. Also any wood used in packaging has to be marked that it has been through heat process to kill any bugs. Plywood goes through that process so does not need second dose.

Of course you can use a shipping container also.

Making multiple shipments to Japan will get pricy.

That is unless you live in Japan, North Carolina. My dad was born there but they built a lake and the town is under water now.
Hey, Thanx for the prompt response and advice.  I have a shipper who will do the needful to get the items to Japan . ZIP - CA94080.  I will pay you with paypal or bank transfer.  I have been in touch with mustangsunlimited and their sales staff is just wasting my time and been of no help to secure a parts order - just happy to get their salary and go home , I guess.  Also CJ pony is charging me sales tax for a order I made to CA from their CT store, and the sales tax comes only at last when you make the final payment option.  I cancelled the order since, I can buy from sellers on ebay without sales tax. So if you can sell with no sales tax and for a reasonable price, we can do some business. Do you also have new items ? If have a website let me know, so that I can go thru. Basically, I need all parts for a full restoration, except the parts, i already bought from ebay sellers, summit, rockauto, mustangsunlimited, cjpony etc. I need the sheetmetal under the battery tray from you and some floor pan patch cutouts.  I know they are cheap even new, but cost extra money to ship to Japan due to the oversize  If you are able to just cut out what i need it will be good business for you and me , I guess. I also need both door panels, if they are still usable.  You can show me the items thru Viber, whatsapp, skype if you hv these apps in your phone.  I have a US and Japan cell no.s 81 80 8747 9849 give me a call. Cheers

Back