Do no new parts fit right these days

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
The following is just a rant but may help someone in the future. I replaced an oil pan gasket on a SBF today, in the car. That is a bit of a pain but was made worse by poor gasket fitment (Fel-Pro 1809). The rubber end seals would not go into grooves and stay in place. I had to sand away a bit the edge left by the  mold parting line on the sides of the rubber end seals. They then went in as they are supposed to. To add insult, the passenger side rail gasket dog leg offset was not stamped correctly causing the gasket to be inboard 3/16 of an inch. They will still seal but, it should not be this way. Replacement parts have really gone down hill in the last 15 years, and getting worse.

I've come to expect most reproduction parts to be ill fitting or be outright junk (voltage regulators, rim blow switches, any trim piece, sheet metal, etc.).  It is now to the point where you have to expect the simplest of parts to require modification to fit properly. Maybe I need a more tranquil hobby. The good news is it is almost 5 PM here and the beer is cold. Chuck

Totally. rant +1

When I've placed my 429 oil pan, I needed to cut them to fit (also FelPro kit) . The 2 rubbers (at crank) to cork especially. The rubber has some squarish fork shape while the side cork is almost round. Reminded me this game where young children learn shapes, trying to force a circle thru a square hole.

When done, I also needed to cut the excess for the chain cover, I would not be picky for 1 or 2 mm, but it was more like 8 to 9mm, making impossible to paint on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep,

Think we have all had that experience and it seems like it shouldn't be so hard to make them right, especially simple parts.

Glad you have the ice cold beer and it's the weekend.

Was nice here and took the 72 Q code out for a drive. Having recently completed this and finally able to enjoy. Sounds like I have an exhaust leak though...always something!

Not that it is likely to change anything but, I'm going to contact Fel-Pro on Monday. The Gold Glow Vert is beautiful. As for the exhaust leak, restorations are never finished but, at some point you have to just stop and enjoy the car. Chuck

I've used a neoprene 1-piece gasket and it fits perfectly. It comes with 4 "anchors" to hold it in place while you're guiding the oil pan through the 4 anchors/holes. Can't remember if Felpro or Mr Gasket but price was $35 or so.

I've noticed that quite a bit, since a very good portion of my car is repop/aftermarket parts.

The biggest irritation to me being the new turn-signal switch (w/tilt) assembly I picked up from CJPP years ago.  Immediately out of the box I could tell it was going to be a cheap POS.  Ever since I installed it, it has a problem with flashing the left turn signals unless I wiggle it around to find the 'sweet spot' for 'Off.'  Just the left side, and it doesn't matter what I did leading up to it: turn left, turn right, doesn't matter... even just starting the car sometimes - but, it doesn't always happen... just when it does pisses me off.  This isn't supposed to happen for another 5 or 6 years of daily use from an originally factory-installed switch.

If it wasn't such a PITA to swap (especially, having a touch of color-blindness), I'd just get another and go from there.  But considering the sources for replacement switches, I'll bet I'd just wind up with another one with the same afflictions.

Grrrr!!

I agree part fitment, it's more and more of a crap shoot, not only fitment but functionality.

Seems like aftermarket turn signal switches have always been a problem. I don't know how many I have replaced over the years, whether the complete switch or just the repair kit, more have not worked correctly than those that have. I've had better luck with wrecking yard switches.

I've used a neoprene 1-piece gasket and it fits perfectly. It comes with 4 "anchors" to hold it in place while you're guiding the oil pan through the 4 anchors/holes. Can't remember if Felpro or Mr Gasket but price was $35 or so.
Thanks for your post, but without you determining which one worked requires anyone trying to use your info buy BOTH. Please find out which one it was you liked - if possible.  

And I thought we had a thread where we posted parts we liked and have used.  If not, we sure need one so we can share and put our 'seal of approval' on them!  And vice-versa when they suck.

Respectfully -

Ray

Thanks for your post, but without you determining which one worked requires anyone trying to use your info buy BOTH. Please find out which one it was you liked - if possible.  

And I thought we had a thread where we posted parts we liked and have used.  If not, we sure need one so we can share and put our 'seal of approval' on them!  And vice-versa when they suck.

Respectfully -

Ray
Ray, I only bought one neoprene gasket but I do not recall what brand it was...Fel-pro or Mr Gasket, one of the 2. That's what I was trying to say, sorry for the confusion! Terry

Unfortunately  things have only seemed to have gotten worse. Originally it was just trim and sheet metal parts (what FEW pieces were available for 71-73's) that were evidently designed and manufactured by blind people. Now things have spread to functional parts such as electrical parts, switches, engine components and gaskets, etc.

China is capable and does build quality products, but somewhere in the line we are just not getting what we pay for. My guess is the ordering business is having these parts built at the very minimum spec's as possible and then nailing us at the prices for a premium product.

I do have to give credit to Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply. He is involved in a lot of behind the scenes work with different vendors/suppliers/manufacturers trying to get parts built that actually fit and work. There is much he does that many are not aware of.

As long as the quality of the repo parts remain like they are, I'm afraid OE parts will continue to spiral sharply upwards like we've seen happen. Have a GM buddy with a 69 Z28 that needed both quarter panels. After trying for days to get two different sets of repo panels to fit, he finally gave up and paid $3,500.00 for two OEM panels. It's a original numbers matching powertrain car so he went ahead and spent the big $$$!

To Chuck and Ray. Here is what I have used on the 302's. Ford went to a one piece pan gasket around 12/94 early in the 1995 production year. Ford part # is F5TZ-6710-A and is something I have used with no problems.  Fel pro lists two different numbers for their one piece gasket. The OS-34508-R shows 1986/ fitment. OS-13260-T shows prior to 1986 fitment. Both have what Fel Pro calls "Snap Ups" which they claim will hold the gasket in place while you install the pan bolts. Not sure what the difference is as I have used the Ford gasket on a 85 GT and a 95 SVT Cobra.

I have also used the valve cover gaskets listed for the 87/ 5.0 (Ford F1ZZ-6584-B) to cure a car with leaking cork gaskets. They have a steel core with a rubber coating and worked great.

If you do contact Fel Pro about the problems you experienced with the gaskets you were using, would be a good opportunity to ask about the one piece gaskets.

F5TZ-6710-A

F1ZZ-6584-B

L
FEL-PRO.jpg
 Fel Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Steve! (Secluff)

"I do have to give credit to Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply. He is involved in a lot of behind the scenes work with different vendors/suppliers/manufacturers trying to get parts built that actually fit and work. There is much he does that many are not aware of. "

+1 Thanks Don.

Ray

To Chuck and Ray. Here is what I have used on the 302's. Ford went to a one piece pan gasket around 12/94 early in the 1995 production year. Ford part # is F5TZ-6710-A and is something I have used with no problems.  Fel pro lists two different numbers for their one piece gasket. The OS-34508-R shows 1986/ fitment. OS-13260-T shows prior to 1986 fitment. Both have what Fel Pro calls "Snap Ups" which they claim will hold the gasket in place while you install the pan bolts. Not sure what the difference is as I have used the Ford gasket on a 85 GT and a 95 SVT Cobra.

I have also used the valve cover gaskets listed for the 87/ 5.0 (Ford F1ZZ-6584-B) to cure a car with leaking cork gaskets. They have a steel core with a rubber coating and worked great.

If you do contact Fel Pro about the problems you experienced with the gaskets you were using, would be a good opportunity to ask about the one piece gaskets.
Be careful that you use a one piece gasket that matches the pan you're using. The original Ford one piece was designed for the rear sump pans that had the smooth rails with stamped reinforcements. It would leak like a sieve when used on a front sump pan that had the embossed rails, had lots of calls at Canton from guys trying just that on their early cars. You had to use the four piece cork n rubber units on those until the aftermarket released a one-piece gasket specifically designed for that pan.

I talked with the guys that build the New 68/69 mustang's at a car show last year and they said every single piece has to be modified because of shitty manufacturing quality. They said that is the main reason they are 200k and not 100k.

Just a follow up. I contacted Fel-Pro, they asked for pictures, I sent picture, never heard from them again. So my low expectations were met. The good news is the pan does seal. Chuck

Back