B&M Megashifter with FMX done :-)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
Hi all

I Always wanted a cool shifter not the one thats comes stock with the FMX Tranny. So I bought the Megashifter knowing that there is no brackets for it to work with the FMX.

I read some DIY on how to make this work, and I also got some Pictures from rocket366 on Another installation.

My linkage on the FMX attaches on the upperside, with the Megashifter it has to connect downside bracket. The steel is extremly hardened, so driliing was out ot the question. I also wanted to be alble to swap back to original if needed. Everything is done with the tranny in the car, and its very tight the headders.

First you have to install the shifter itself, that is the easy part. I made a bracket to bolt the shifter on to, and Another cross bracket to hold the shifter bracket. Everything can be mounted from inside the car without having trouble reaching any bolts or nuts. You have to raise thas back of the shifter to keep it in level.

Next you have to fabricate a bracket that holds the Cable , you could probably use the C4 or C6 bracket with some welding. I made a one from scratch. Its rough but it will do the job.

Next is to fabricate the bracket that is bolted to the rod that normaly goes to the steering Wheel lock mechanism, or what its called.

Then you need the or bracket that is bolted to the stock shifter rod hole. when that is made, bolt Everything up. Put some washers under the lower bracket so the dowel pin can be put in. This maybe be not be needed , depends on how and where your hole is for the lower bracket.

Bolt Everything down and prepare for making the hole that holds the Cable from the megashifter.

slide on a bolt to the wire and make something like this

Slide that on the Cable. Put the shifter in position reverse and tha tranny lever in reverse.  wiggle the Cable so that you get a line on the bracket. Put the shifter in position 1 and the lever in position one. Wiggle the Cable and you should get Another line on the bracket. Where the lines intercept is where you should drill your hole.

Drill the hole , bolt eveything in Place and attach the Cable. Test every position, the Cable should slide out and not be hard to get out. Adjust the bot on the wire maybe one turn if its not perfect. If Everything works you can enjoy your Megashifter.

There is probably other ways to make this work. Brackets where made from scrap laying around in the garage without welding.

Best Regards Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job! You will love that shifter, way better than stock. I installed one in my car years ago and love it. I even retained the factory long center console. 

Nice job! You will love that shifter, way better than stock. I installed one in my car years ago and love it. I even retained the factory long center console. 

Looks Great :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG - now I need one.  I've always loved the Mega Shifters.

I just wonder how much of a PITA it will be with the factory shifter and cable for the AOD (I wound up adapting that, rather than making a factory '71 shifter work.  I really don't want to have to mess with the transmission-end of things since the factory TV cable works just fine (switching to a Lokar shift cable adapter kit would be a PITA now that I don't "really" have the Auto Hobby Shop at my disposal anymore).

I love the look of your console, Kevin - that's exactly what I want mine to look like. ::thumb::

AOD: Instructions for the AOD are included with the optional installation kit, Part No. 40496.

Regards Rob

AOD: Instructions for the AOD are included with the optional installation kit, Part No. 40496.

Regards Rob
OMG - I'm so excited... I think I might've just peed a little.   :whistling:

Thank you SO much!!   ::thumb::

Regards Rob
OMG - I'm so excited... I think I might've just peed a little.   :whistling:

Thank you SO much!!   ::thumb::
Youre welcome :)

Nice looking installation. Clever way of locating the attachment point for the shift lever. The last time I had to make a shift lever I went through a bunch of calculations to get the lengths, shifter throw distance, angles of rotation, etc.

Nice looking installation. Clever way of locating the attachment point for the shift lever. The last time I had to make a shift lever I went through a bunch of calculations to get the lengths, shifter throw distance, angles of rotation, etc.

Thanks Don C

Oh man!! I’m still stuck at this part ,make a bracket set and sell me it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally a recent successful ratchet on a FMX! Thank you for including the pictures, looks a little daunting, but will try and do them same!

Is there someone who can make me a FMX Cruise O Matic Bracket for my B&M Shifter? 

Back