Front Bumper 1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalis

Reaction score
My Car
I have a Mustang Mach 1. 1973. It got 39000 miles on it since new. I am the second owner. Bought it 2018. Car has been in Sweden since 1973.
Hi

Just about to mount my front bumper. Have had it off for painting. It`s in two pieces now. The rubber part that is being repainted and the steel part. I took it away in one piece but when I mount it back, should I do it in the same way? Or first mount the steel part and then the rubber part? Would be good to know. Regards Dalis.

Hi

Just about to mount my front bumper. Have had it off for painting. It`s in two pieces now. The rubber part that is being repainted and the steel part. I took it away in one piece but when I mount it back, should I do it in the same way? Or first mount the steel part and then the rubber part? Would be good to know. Regards Dalis.
I took all the steel pieces out, cleaned, neutralized all the rusty bits then re-painted chassis black.  Chased the all the threads and pre - assembled it to make sure it was O K then tighten up when you're happy.

When all back together, it is heavy ( as you already know ) so be careful with the flexible ends as the paint will crack.  I set mine up on two boxes close to the correct position left & right then got a floor jack under it to lift into place.  Careful, careful - don't drop it now.

This will allow you to reach the four remaining bolts behind the mounting brackets and get them started.  Get each one in a few threads and pull them tight when it's all lined up with the lower fenders.  There is a fair bit of adjustment with the slotted bracket holes so you can align it correctly.  Same with the fender to lower valance positioning - you might need to loosen these up to get final alignment. Took me half a day to get it reasonable.

Go for it.

PKJ

I took help of my two strong sons, took about a half on hour to remount it. Looks fine now. Thanks for support in the tread.

Hi! How I can take off that rubber skin from bumper metal parts? I take off those bolts under the bumper but the cover dosent't come out.

Hi! How I can take off that rubber skin from bumper metal parts? I take off those bolts under the bumper but the cover dosent't come out.
By " under the bumper " are you referring to the licence plate bracket ? or the bolts that hold the steel frame to the urethane section ?

There are a couple of access holes in the main steel frame.  Way up inside these are  ( 4 ? ) bolts that attach the urethane part to an inner mounting plate.  You will need a long extension to reach these.  Spray some CRC or similar penetrant on them and give it time to work.

All kinds of sneaky things to provide more challenges.

PKJ

There are 4 nuts o  the inside of the metal frame. You need a socket extension to get to them.

Edit: I should have read PKJ's previous post. He nailed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 4 nuts o  the inside of the metal frame. You need a socket extension to get to them.

Edit: I should have read PKJ's previous post. He nailed it.

HI! Thank you. So there was more bolts inside the bumper... 

:thankyouyellow: :goodpost:

The rubber bumper seems to be glued on where the bolts came off underneath (not inside), the rubber isn't pulling away from the bracket. I'll get a socket extension to reach inside - but how had can I pull on the rubber before it starts breaking and tearing?

Back