Monroe, Washington, car eval.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone who lives in the area of Monroe Washington take a trip to look over a car and see if it is ligit? I will pay for gas money and time. 1971 J code Mach I. Want to verify paperwork and VIN numbers. Thanks. Kevin.
Can't help, but I bought my J Code Vert out of that area... Manly Muscle Car's. is that where your car is located? If so, PM me and i can give you a heads up on this retailer...

Can someone who lives in the area of Monroe Washington take a trip to look over a car and see if it is ligit? I will pay for gas money and time. 1971 J code Mach I. Want to verify paperwork and VIN numbers. Thanks. Kevin.
Can't help, but I bought my J Code Vert out of that area... Manly Muscle Car's. is that where your car is located? If so, PM me and i can give you a heads up on this retailer...

Kevin i am 2 hours away. I would love to help but the ferry ride would break the bank.  Looking at 6 hours there and back.  

Kevin i am 2 hours away. I would love to help but the ferry ride would break the bank.  Looking at 6 hours there and back.  
No problem. I don't think I need anyone to look at it because, like I said, I upset the seller and he probably sold to someone else. When I asked, "What do you think," I meant in general, like do you think it's the real deal, or was wondering if you knew anything about the car.

Thanks all. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I thought the deal was too good to pass up. I know there are a few things on the car that need to be corrected. Hopefully I won't be disappointed when the car comes in. The seller was getting aggravated with no show ebay buyers, and he was even getting upset with all my questions. I was afraid if I pushed the seller further he would refuse to sell the car to me or anyone else. I feel, in the end, that he is discounting the price to a point where the car is a deal short of it turning out to be a total basket case. I know it's an auto, and I would have preferred a 4 speed, but look at everything else this car has. And it's a drag pack car!

I guess I'm going to have to knock a car off my signature to fit this one in! My signature is "maxed out" at the moment! :D

Awesome car, looks impeccable in those few pics. Curious what you are looking at correcting. Even the plastic chrome on the dash looks to be in excellent shape. If that car has its original drivetrain and was at a price you couldn't pass up, well that just isn't something that comes around very often for a drag pack car! I didn't see it anywhere on eBay, even in the completed listings.

Awesome car, looks impeccable in those few pics.  Curious what you are looking at correcting.  Even the plastic chrome on the dash looks to be in excellent shape.  If that car has its original drivetrain and was at a price you couldn't pass up, well that just isn't something that comes around very often for a drag pack car!  I didn't see it anywhere on eBay, even in the completed listings.
Funny. I was responding to your post while you were responding to mine! He says "to his knowledge" The drivetrain is original, but he can't prove it. I guess I'll find out when the car gets here. It needs the rev limiter, the smog, and the correct radiator. Not sure if the oil cooler is there. I'm sure I'll find other things, but in all it is a very rare car, and like you said, opportunities like this don't come up that often. He has pics of the car during the restoration. It has NOS rear quarters and outer wheel wells and was done on a rotisserie. The trunk floor is a repro patch but looks like it was done well. I need to cut out the hole for the drain. I will be extatic if the drivetrain numbers match!

KevKen- You may be aware of this, but all of those pics you posted are from the Fastlanecars.com web site "Sold" listing for this car. In the other thread I think you mentioned the seller bought it three years ago and needed the money now. Were the pics you posted above the ones from the eBay listing? Why would he use the Fastlanecars.com pics rather than posting current pics? Also, and I had to look at this one several times to verify, the door sticker pic you posted above shows 173074 in the upper right hand corner of the sticker, but then it shows 173077 on the line with the VIN. On the Fastlanecars.com site, the exact same pic shows 173074 in both parts of the door sticker. Look at the door sticker on this site, and you'll see it doesn't match the pic you posted, which is the exact same pic otherwise:

https://fastlanecars.com/vehicles/1710/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1

It appears that someone photo-shopped the door sticker that you posted above and neglected to edit the six digit number in both places. Pretty tricky that they would do this. When I Google 1F05J173077 I receive no matches on the web, which I found odd for such a high-profile car. When I Google 1F05J173074 (the real VIN apparently) I find several listings, including Dad's Classic Cars listing for St. Charles MO, which is where Fast Lane Classic Cars is also located. The price in that ad is $69,995 which is more believable from a few years ago. The pic you were given with the altered VIN number door sticker pretty much tells me this deal was not on the level. Either way, you should be covered by the eBay fraud policy.

http://dadsclassiccars.com/used-1971-ford-mustang-for-sale-in-st-charles-mo-1f05j173074-471959

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the door sticker VIN pic that KevKen posted above, I believe the one that was provided to him from the eBay seller:

Compare to the otherwise identical door sticker VIN pic from the Fast Lane Classic Cars site where the car was apparently originally listed and sold:

The 173077 number has no past history on the web, while the 173074 number does have a number of hits in a Google search.

If still needed I may be able to help. It is about an hour from me. I'm no expert on these but may be able to at least verify info.
Thanks Jim!
Good to hear that you were able to get the Car!  Hope it is what you are hoping for, and a drag pack car!  very rare for sure.
Thanks again Jim!

Here is the door sticker VIN pic that KevKen posted above, I believe the one that was provided to him from the eBay seller:

Compare to the otherwise identical door sticker VIN pic from the Fast Lane Classic Cars site where the car was apparently originally listed and sold:

The 173077 number has no past history on the web, while the 173074 number does have a number of hits in a Google search.
VERY nice looking car, but something doesn't seem right with those door tags!! Even the pics of the invoices have altered VIN's. I would be asking ALOT of questions! As Bubbles would say "Somethings F*cky!" Maybe that's why the guy was getting upset at all the questions?? He didn't want to get caught committing fraud! Good luck on this one!!

VERY nice looking car, but something doesn't seem right with those door tags!! Even the pics of the invoices have altered VIN's. I would be asking ALOT of questions!  As Bubbles would say "Somethings F*cky!"   Maybe that's why the guy was getting upset at all the questions??  He didn't want to get caught committing fraud!  Good luck on this one!!
Thanks Kevin. I'm looking into it. Very worried I got scammed. These guys are getting good at this!

VERY nice looking car, but something doesn't seem right with those door tags!! Even the pics of the invoices have altered VIN's. I would be asking ALOT of questions!  As Bubbles would say "Somethings F*cky!"   Maybe that's why the guy was getting upset at all the questions??  He didn't want to get caught committing fraud!  Good luck on this one!!
Thanks Kevin. I'm looking into it. Very worried I got scammed. These guys are getting good at this!
I'd contact Kevin Marti direct ASAP with the vin 1F05J173077 and explain your concern. Show him the auction and I'd bet he would tell you if it's a red 429CJ or not. If there is no listing in his database for that car, contact eBay, tell them your getting scammed and cancel the sale... 

My guess it is a scam. I believe it is the same guy that has the Boss 351 being discussed in another thread. Look at the door tag he sent you again. It shows the VIN ending in 173077 but in the upper right corner of the door tag the last six digits are always printed again and it is VIN ending in 173074.

The guy with the Boss sent me a door tag pic and made the same error.

Hmmm... predicament... Did you notice the rear seat interior panels have the holes for the retractable seat belts, not on '71's... There was a guy in Ohio, Martin Scothorn or something like that... who keeps a registry on the '71 429 car's. i have seen him active for a while , but maybe someone here can recall if name/spelling and try to contact him with the two VIN's posted here. There is a good chance he may have info on the "real" one... $25K for a drag pak car is too good to be true... Hope you get the issue resolved and protect your cash starting yesterday...

Hmmm... predicament... Did you notice the rear seat interior panels have the holes for the retractable seat belts, not on '71's... There was a guy in Ohio, Martin Scothorn or something like that... who keeps a registry on the '71 429 car's. i have seen him active for a while , but maybe someone here can recall if name/spelling and try to contact him with the two VIN's posted here. There is a good chance he may have info on the "real" one... $25K for a drag pak car is too good to be true... Hope you get the issue resolved and protect your cash starting yesterday...
Hi All. Yes I have been scammed! He has my $25K and I have a real headache with Ebay insurance. I'm sick.

Back