1971 Boss

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee...the ad could have at least listed the VIN or shown the engine compartment.

I thought $21K might have been the opening bid, but no that's the price. It's a eBay classified ad and not even an auction. Everything looks good in the limited set of pics. Hood blackout paint looks close to being correct, but it appears to have the backwards-mounted rear spoiler which is a common error. I would expect a Boss 351 tribute car to possibly sell for more than this, with the high level of restoration that we see in the pics. Could be a base Sportsroof model with 302-2V that was restored to look like a Boss 351. But the ad implies it is a true Boss. Someone should contact this guy to see what the deal is. I'm sure the response would be a comedy of errors. He's probably not looking for potential buyers that are aware of all the details of the true car being represented.

The questions are... does it really exist and is he the owner. I'm sure for some "holding fee", a few thousand he will save it for someone. Trouble is, soon after receiving it, the ad and him will be long gone!

To good to be true I’m sure. Probably just an outright scam. Even if it was a Mach 1 I’d be skeptical. I looked up the sellers info to see if maybe it was a pissed off ex wife, but it’s some guy that had sold some golf clubs? I don’t know what the deal is.

I like to contact the seller and try to set up a time I can come and drive the car. That usually sorts them out pretty quick. If it is legit - they will be happy to make arrangements. If it isn't, some of the excuses are pretty entertaining.

Yes Mike, that's the way to go about it. I did the same thing for a '70 GTO Judge listing in Hemmings a few years ago that seemed too good to be true. The price wasn't crazy low, but it was low enough that I knew no one would sell it for that price unless they were clueless. The person was always going to be out on errands, they were helping a sick older relative, all kinds of crap. They just wanted to get someone's money and they had no car. I did a Google reverse image search and the car was in someone's collection. In the meantime, Hemmings had already researched the listing on their own and they pulled it.

Ok I did a few Google reverse image searches on the eBay pics for this "Boss 351" and come up with the following match:

https://www.carolinamusclecarsinc.com/vehicles/196/1971-ford-mustang-boss-351

Everything makes sense except for that price on the eBay listing. Had to laugh because in the rear view of the car the license plate was blocked out. But in the rear three quarter view I could see the plate after zooming in- North Carolina dealer plate.

Yes Mike, that's the way to go about it.  I did the same thing for a '70 GTO Judge listing in Hemmings a few years ago that seemed too good to be true.  The price wasn't crazy low, but it was low enough that I knew no one would sell it for that price unless they were clueless.  The person was always going to be out on errands, they were helping a sick older relative, all kinds of crap.  They just wanted to get someone's money and they had no car.  I did a Google reverse image search and the car was in someone's collection.  In the meantime, Hemmings had already researched the listing on their own and they pulled it.

Ok I did a few Google reverse image searches on the eBay pics for this "Boss 351" and come up with the following match:

Everything makes sense except for that price on the eBay listing.  Had to laugh because in the rear view of the car the license plate was blocked out.  But in the rear three quarter view I could see the plate after zooming in- North Carolina dealer plate.
Hi Don. So would you say the ebay posting is definitely a scam based on what you found out on the car? This same thing MAY have just happened to me. Find my post where I wanted someone to look at a car for me in Washington state. I contacted the guy through Ebay and spoke with him on the phone. I was extremely suspicious this guy had hijacked an Ebay account and was posting a car that I found had been sold off of "Fastlane Classic Cars." He said he had paid $60K for the car and was willing to take $25K as he was in a jam for money. Sure enough, the Fastlane asking price was $60K but it was listed as sold. He said he bought the car 3 years ago. The first Ebay listing attached below was pulled, which was also suspicious. I asked why he had pulled the ad and cancelled the bids. He said he pulled the ad for a buyer who was unable to "get financing." That has happened to me before so it was believable. He gave me his name over the phone. He had a VERY strong accent and was hard to understand. I asked if he was affiliated with any clubs or websites like this one, and he said he "wasn't a computer guy." Then I thought of the ULTIMATE test for him. I told him I would wire him the money today IF he could provide me with a picture of both sides of the title with HIS name on it AND that the money would be wired into an account with THE SAME NAME. I also required that he relist the car on Ebay at $25K and accept my bid and close the auction. I have found that Ebay insurance WILL pay if the car doesn't come to me (everyone probably remembers my nightmare with that jerk who sold me the Grabber Green 71 convertible and refused to release the car to me). Anyway, the seller sent me the pic of the title, his name was on it, and I wired him the $25K today. He has been very helpful, and is helping with transport. I could be wrong, and maybe I was scammed, but if so Ebay WILL get my $25K back. I'll copy and post my reply from earlier today now:

01-21-2019, 02:14 PM

I found what could be a good deal. I don't need another car, nor will my wife let me buy another one, but this may be too good of a deal to pass up. I am in talks with the seller. I need someone who won't steal the car out from under me but still give me an honest appraisal of the car. It's a 429 Mach I. Is there anyone in that area that would mind looking the car over for me?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang-/163491702243?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

1 hour ago

Thanks all. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I thought the deal was too good to pass up. I know there are a few things on the car that need to be corrected. Hopefully I won't be disappointed when the car comes in. The seller was getting aggravated with no show ebay buyers, and he was even getting upset with all my questions. I was afraid if I pushed the seller further he would refuse to sell the car to me or anyone else. I feel, in the end, that he is discounting the price to a point where the car is a deal short of it turning out to be a total basket case. I know it's an auto, and I would have preferred a 4 speed, but look at everything else this car has. And it's a drag pack car!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang/163501503360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

He also provided me with pics of over $11K in receipts for the car. It's hard to believe he would have all that info and not the car. But the kicker is the title in his name. Maybe I should have got him to send me a picture of his driver's license........

Well I contacted him and he sent me more pics including the vin being one digit off from the one for sale in NC. Ending in 0 instead of 1. The pics appear photo shopped. He also claims to be in Kent, WA. I replied that I would like to set up a time to view the car in person and would be willing to deal in cash in person only. I am willing to bet I don’t get a response.

Good, it looks like Jason (73Pony) was able to do some of the additional legwork. I only had time to perform those Google reverse image lookups and make my earlier post. The Carolina Muscle Cars site does not show any price as far as I can tell. I thought I'd see the $21K price there as well, but the price is ridiculous anyway. All it says on the Carolina Muscle Cars site in the write-up is "This Boss 351 cannot be replaced and at the price that we have it for listed, this car will be sold quickly!". But they might be selling it for $39K or some price that is low but still acceptable given the car.

So it appears now we have the same car for sale in North Carolina and Washington state at the same time. Jason I see what you mean about the pic being photo-shopped. The rear view on the Carolina Muscle Cars site shows the MC dealer license plate, but the same pic in the eBay listing has it grayed out. But they forgot to photoshop over the license plate on the rear three quarter view in the eBay listing. It was small but I could see the plate after saving the image and then zooming in. Yes Jason I would be very surprised if you were to receive a response!

Yes Mike, that's the way to go about it.  I did the same thing for a '70 GTO Judge listing in Hemmings a few years ago that seemed too good to be true.  The price wasn't crazy low, but it was low enough that I knew no one would sell it for that price unless they were clueless.  The person was always going to be out on errands, they were helping a sick older relative, all kinds of crap.  They just wanted to get someone's money and they had no car.  I did a Google reverse image search and the car was in someone's collection.  In the meantime, Hemmings had already researched the listing on their own and they pulled it.

Everything makes sense except for that price on the eBay listing.  Had to laugh because in the rear view of the car the license plate was blocked out.  But in the rear three quarter view I could see the plate after zooming in- North Carolina dealer plate.
Hi Don. So would you say the ebay posting is definitely a scam based on what you found out on the car? This same thing MAY have just happened to me. Find my post where I wanted someone to look at a car for me in Washington state. I contacted the guy through Ebay and spoke with him on the phone. I was extremely suspicious this guy had hijacked an Ebay account and was posting a car that I found had been sold off of "Fastlane Classic Cars." He said he had paid $60K for the car and was willing to take $25K as he was in a jam for money. Sure enough, the Fastlane asking price was $60K but it was listed as sold. He said he bought the car 3 years ago. The first Ebay listing attached below was pulled, which was also suspicious. I asked why he had pulled the ad and cancelled the bids. He said he pulled the ad for a buyer who was unable to "get financing." That has happened to me before so it was believable. He gave me his name over the phone. He had a VERY strong accent and was hard to understand. I asked if he was affiliated with any clubs or websites like this one, and he said he "wasn't a computer guy." Then I thought of the ULTIMATE test for him. I told him I would wire him the money today IF he could provide me with a picture of both sides of the title with HIS name on it AND that the money would be wired into an account with THE SAME NAME. I also required that he relist the car on Ebay at $25K and accept my bid and close the auction. I have found that Ebay insurance WILL pay if the car doesn't come to me (everyone probably remembers my nightmare with that jerk who sold me the Grabber Green 71 convertible and refused to release the car to me). Anyway, the seller sent me the pic of the title, his name was on it, and I wired him the $25K today. He has been very helpful, and is helping with transport. I could be wrong, and maybe I was scammed, but if so Ebay WILL get my $25K back. I'll copy and post my reply from earlier today now:

I found what could be a good deal. I don't need another car, nor will my wife let me buy another one, but this may be too good of a deal to pass up. I am in talks with the seller. I need someone who won't steal the car out from under me but still give me an honest appraisal of the car. It's a 429 Mach I. Is there anyone in that area that would mind looking the car over for me?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang-/163491702243?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

1 hour ago

Thanks all. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I thought the deal was too good to pass up. I know there are a few things on the car that need to be corrected. Hopefully I won't be disappointed when the car comes in. The seller was getting aggravated with no show ebay buyers, and he was even getting upset with all my questions. I was afraid if I pushed the seller further he would refuse to sell the car to me or anyone else. I feel, in the end, that he is discounting the price to a point where the car is a deal short of it turning out to be a total basket case. I know it's an auto, and I would have preferred a 4 speed, but look at everything else this car has. And it's a drag pack car!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang/163501503360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

He also provided me with pics of over $11K in receipts for the car. It's hard to believe he would have all that info and not the car. But the kicker is the title in his name. Maybe I should have got him to send me a picture of his driver's license........
Wow, that's crazy.  I hope it comes through for you but it's very suspicious, and such a lowball price for an extremely rare car.  I was able to locate the listing on the fastlanecars.com site using Google reverse image search on the pics you posted.  Interestingly enough, only the pic of the fold down rear seat gave me a hit to that site, although the other pics are there as well.

https://fastlanecars.com/vehicles/1710/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1

I have to be honest- if I would have looked at that car in person and it was $25K I would have bought it on the spot and dealt with my wife somewhere down the road.  ahaha  No that's not right though, I would have done the honorable thing.

Oh that car has a C6 automatic so there would be no rev limiter.  One less thing for you to look for if the car pans out.  Only the 4 speed CJ and SCJ cars were supposed to receive the rev limiter.  I suppose that it because the C6 acts as the rev limiter in those cases.  ;)  My 429 CJ-R 4 speed car is supposed to have the rev limiter, but instead it has several holes on the shock tower.  I have been casually looking but those things are as rare as hen's teeth.  Instead I think I might sink that money into a set of Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 reproduction tires.  I like the look of the Firestone Wide Ovals better and they make those in a radial now that looks period-correct.  However I believe the Mustangs of that era typically had the Goodyear tires from the factory.  Just dug out the Marti report and factory invoice and it states "F60X15 Wide Oval Belted" so perhaps this one did have Firestone tires on it.  The car was originally sold in Sault Ste Marie Ontario.  Great car for the snow...

Well I wish you luck and please keep us posted!

1 hour ago

Wow, that's crazy.  I hope it comes through for you but it's very suspicious, and such a lowball price for an extremely rare car.  I was able to locate the listing on the fastlanecars.com site using Google reverse image search on the pics you posted.  Interestingly enough, only the pic of the fold down rear seat gave me a hit to that site, although the other pics are there as well.

https://fastlanecars.com/vehicles/1710/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1

I have to be honest- if I would have looked at that car in person and it was $25K I would have bought it on the spot and dealt with my wife somewhere down the road.  ahaha  No that's not right though, I would have done the honorable thing.

Oh that car has a C6 automatic so there would be no rev limiter.  One less thing for you to look for if the car pans out.  Only the 4 speed CJ and SCJ cars were supposed to receive the rev limiter.  I suppose that it because the C6 acts as the rev limiter in those cases.  ;)  My 429 CJ-R 4 speed car is supposed to have the rev limiter, but instead it has several holes on the shock tower.  I have been casually looking but those things are as rare as hen's teeth.  Instead I think I might sink that money into a set of Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 reproduction tires.  I like the look of the Firestone Wide Ovals better and they make those in a radial now that looks period-correct.  However I believe the Mustangs of that era typically had the Goodyear tires from the factory.  Just dug out the Marti report and factory invoice and it states "F60X15 Wide Oval Belted" so perhaps this one did have Firestone tires on it.  The car was originally sold in Sault Ste Marie Ontario.  Great car for the snow...

Well I wish you luck and please keep us posted!

OMG! Sault Ste Marie Ontario! How did I miss that?! Sault?! Is that supposed to be a pun, lol. Now i'm REALLY nervous. I probably got screwed again. When will I learn?! I actually have a set of mint original F6015 Goodyear Polyglass GTs with 1972 date codes I was planning on putting on my 72 R code convertible when it gets finished. I like the idea of the Firestone Wide Ovals with the radial tread. The car might not be worth the investment in new tires if it was ravaged by the Sault in Ontario! Oh well, I'll sort it out when it gets here. If it doesn't get here, I guess it's Ebays" problem! By the way, I told the wife and she's OK with it for now. I told her it was a "great investment, lol."

OMG! Sault Ste Marie Ontario! How did I miss that?! Sault?! Is that supposed to be a pun, lol. Now i'm REALLY nervous. I probably got screwed again. When will I learn?! I actually have a set of mint original F6015 Goodyear Polyglass GTs with 1972 date codes I was planning on putting on my 72 R code convertible when it gets finished. I like the idea of the Firestone Wide Ovals with the radial tread. The car might not be worth the investment in new tires if it was ravaged by the Sault in Ontario! Oh well, I'll sort it out when it gets here. If it doesn't get here, I guess it's Ebays" problem! By the way, I told the wife and she's OK with it for now. I told her it was a "great investment, lol."
BTW, can you send me a copy of the Marti Report, and how did you have it already? Can you PM me your phone number? Sounds like we need to talk. Thanks!

Back