Use of Fuel Stabilizer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
Read some past threads from 2015 about the use of a product

like Sta-Bil in the gas.  I don't drive the Mustang that much

and have concerns about the "old" gas, especially the stuff in CA.

I guess the best advice was to keep the tank full.

Anything change?

mike

I've used Sta-bil, and it does work. I also use Lucas Fuel Treatment, and while it isn't advertised as a fuel stabilizer seems to work just as good, plus cleaning and lubricating the fuel system, including valves.

I have used Sta Bil in a variety of engines both small and large for decades. Some of those vehicles and equipment sit for months and months. Does it work? All I can say is I have never had a fuel related issue or gummed up carb problem (even on the older lawn equipment) and everything starts right up. So, I'm sticking with it. Also, on any metal gas tanks I do make sure to store them full of stabilized gas.

I don't bother with fuel stabiizer in any of my vehicles. I do use StarTron treatment in my lawn and power equipment and have stopped having issues with junk in the carbs.

I used to use Sta-Bil, but then I discovered "SeaFoam". SeaFoam has different products on the market, but the one I use is SeaFoam motor treatment.

Basically it does it all, in all fuels and even oil. Not cheap, but I've definitely found my engine seems to run better.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Sta-Bil and also use Ethanol free fuel. Cost more but I drive so little. It is usually best to keep the tank full to prevent it breathing from hot to cold and condensing moisture in the tank. Either that or bone dry with cap off. They have a different formula for fuel with Ethanol I think.

I use Sta-Bil and also use Ethanol free fuel. Cost more but I drive so little. It is usually best to keep the tank full to prevent it breathing from hot to cold and condensing moisture in the tank. Either that or bone dry with cap off. They have a different formula for fuel with Ethanol I think.
 Another reason to use SeaFoam, no need to buy a different product for Ethanol laced fuel.

However, I do keep my tank full through the winter storage. Besides, by the spring, the gas price will likely have shot up anyway, saves me money!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also use Sta-Bil all year long.

They also make a Sta-Bil 360 that is suppose to prevent rusting in the area of the gas tank between the fuel level and top of tank.  Sounds good in theory anyway.

+4 for Seafoam. I use it in the Mustang, boat, lawn mower and snow blower. No issues with fuel left in the tank over the winter or summer and works as a cleaner too. However, for these i always try to get non-ethanol gas. I am lucky that the closest gas station to my house has it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

+4 for Seafoam. I use it in the Mustang, boat, lawn mower and snow blower. No issues with fuel left in the tank over the winter or summer and works as a cleaner too. However, for these i always try to get non-ethanol gas. I am lucky that the closest gas station to my house has it.

You Northers have all the toys!   Which one has the bigger engine, the boat, the snowblower, or the lawn mower?

My brother used to live in Minneapolis, same thing.  Mach 1, boat, snowblower, riding mower, 4x4, and a Motorcycle.

:D :D :D :D

kcmash

You Northers have all the toys!   Which one has the bigger engine, the boat, the snowblower, or the lawn mower?

My brother used to live in Minneapolis, same thing.  Mach 1, boat, snowblower, riding mower, 4x4, and a Motorcycle.

:D :D :D :D

kcmash
He who dies with the most toys, wins. Isn't that the age old saying?

Poor me only has a Mach 1, a snow blower, a lawn mower and a VW Passat that I am not supposed to put any additives in, warranty reasons or something just as stupid.

Geoff.

Back