Nasty weather

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
We had a petty mild winter in Detroit until to the end of January.  Last 2 weeks nothing but cold and snow. One inch of snow tonight and then 4 inches on Monday. Then last week  my snow blower would not start. Nothing more fun than trying to fix something when it ten degrees out.  Fresh fuel and a new spark plug took care of that problem but then I had to use it. HURRY UP SPRING!!! I am tired of looking at at my car with the cover on it.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya from Eastern PA! Not a lot of snow here yet, but plenty of bone chilling cold. Had a stretch where it was 14 during the day and close to 0 at night. Wind chills during the day were -10 to -20. They want it 48 on Sunday, crazy weather. There was one application of brine and salt to the roads already, so that means no matter how nice it gets I won't take out any cars until several big rainstorms in spring. I had the same thing occur with my snowblower a number of years ago. Had to take apart the carb and the jet was completely plugged. Did this in my cold garage and then I had to use the snowblower right after it was fixed. Each time after that, when I'm done using it I turn the fuel shutoff valve and let it choke out when it runs out of fuel. Never a problem starting after that, no matter how long it sits between uses.

We are supposed to have four days in a row with the highs below zero, plus a lot more snow on Monday. Winter is here to balance the average of January. It was warmer the first two weeks and now colder the last two of January. Today our high was 3 above.... yeah!

I had issues with my snow blower as well. The auger broke where it attached to the rotating cylinder and it locked against the scoop. Hammer power took care of it while clearing the snow and then today i welded it in place. It should be ready to go for Monday.

PS: use non ethanol fuel and Seafoam at the end of the season. Haven't had an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Two days ago it was 113°F (45°C) in my city of Bendigo, Australia. Hurry up Autumn, I'm tired of looking at my car's paint melt and peel off when parked in the sun !!!

:atomic: :atomic: :atomic:

Two days ago it was 113°F (45°C) in my city of Bendigo, Australia. Hurry up Autumn, I'm tired of looking at my car's paint melt and peel off when parked in the sun !!!

:atomic: :atomic: :atomic:
 Yeah, that's a little too warm. Mid 90's 35C is about as hot as I like it, but right now we're at 16f or -9c, so a few degrees warmer would be nice. I guess we're getting soft in our old age!!

+1 on the Sea Foam and non-crap fuel. I use Sea Foam whenever I fill my gas can so no matter what I'm running, snow blower, lawn mower or pressure washer, I have no worries about fuel.

We only have a 50x20 concrete driveway, so unless we get 6+ inches, I just send the wife out to shovel, no sense getting the blower out for less than that!!

Actually, she loves to shovel, so no, I'm nit being cruel and mean and...……..

Geoff.

Lol we are never pleased. We had 15" of super wet snow back a few weeks. It collapsed a huge body shop here I was by there yesterday and they had torn the whole thing down. Was only about 3 years old. A friend had her carport come down on her 2019 Toyota 4 Runner did over $5,000 in damage to the car and had to tear the shelter down.

I heat with wood so been going through the pile fast. We are due to get more snow here also. Had an ice storm couple weeks back also and power was off for couple days. Global warming is great.

I use to have to go to Milwaukee and following tooling in Essex and Oconomowoc during the winters. Also to John Deere in Horicon. When it was bad weather and I had to fly out on Friday I would book flight on every departure to Atlanta or Cincinnati. Get to airport and the first flight canceled and everyone would jump up and go get in line and I would just sit there. After three cancels woman ask me why I did not get up. Told her I was already booked on all the flights. I told her to forget about getting straight flight home just get out of Milwaukee. She went back up and found a flight to get her south and all was good.

I actually prefer cold weather over hot. I use to take all my vacations to Montana in November. Some days would never get above -25 F. and would stay out all day walking. Have to keep all skin covered and keep moving or would not last long.

Longest cold spell here was in 1976 we had over 30 days that it did not get above freezing day or night. French Broad River froze over solid only second time in history.

[Longest cold spell here was in 1976 we had over 30 days that it did not get above freezing day or night. French Broad River froze over solid only second time in history.

I moved to Canada in March of 73 and had not seem much in the way of snow although I do remember a really bad snow storm around '68, when we got about 18". Bought the whole country to a stand still, UK that is.

The worst I remember here was 76/77 and then again 77/78. Extremely cold for weeks as David said and more snow than any of our kids, now in their 40's, have EVER seem. We don't get winter like we used to for sure...……… Must be global warming !!!!!! Yeah, right.

If 15" of wet heavy snow bought down a 3 year old roof and building, doesn't say much for the construction of it, or maybe the local building codes. Just my thought on that.

Lol we are never pleased. We had 15" of super wet snow back a few weeks. It collapsed a huge body shop here I was by there yesterday and they had torn the whole thing down. Was only about 3 years old. A friend had her carport come down on her 2019 Toyota 4 Runner did over $5,000 in damage to the car and had to tear the shelter down.

I heat with wood so been going through the pile fast. We are due to get more snow here also. Had an ice storm couple weeks back also and power was off for couple days. Global warming is great.

I use to have to go to Milwaukee and following tooling in Essex and Oconomowoc during the winters. Also to John Deere in Horicon. When it was bad weather and I had to fly out on Friday I would book flight on every departure to Atlanta or Cincinnati. Get to airport and the first flight canceled and everyone would jump up and go get in line and I would just sit there. After three cancels woman ask me why I did not get up. Told her I was already booked on all the flights. I told her to forget about getting straight flight home just get out of Milwaukee. She went back up and found a flight to get her south and all was good.

I actually prefer cold weather over hot. I use to take all my vacations to Montana in November. Some days would never get above -25 F. and would stay out all day walking. Have to keep all skin covered and keep moving or would not last long.

Longest cold spell here was in 1976 we had over 30 days that it did not get above freezing day or night. French Broad River froze over solid only second time in history.
David, if you prefer cold over hot what the heck are you doing in Africa?  :p

[Longest cold spell here was in 1976 we had over 30 days that it did not get above freezing day or night. French Broad River froze over solid only second time in history.
 I moved to Canada in March of 73 and had not seem much in the way of snow although I do remember a really bad snow storm around '68, when we got about 18". Bought the whole country to a stand still, UK that is.

The worst I remember here was 76/77 and then again 77/78. Extremely cold for weeks as David said and more snow than any of our kids, now in their 40's, have EVER seem. We don't get winter like we used to for sure...……… Must be global warming !!!!!! Yeah, right.

If 15" of wet heavy snow bought down a 3 year old roof and building, doesn't say much for the construction of it, or maybe the local building codes. Just my thought on that.

No it was to code it was just a heavy snow. They use the same codes nation wide or that is what I was told by inspector of my garage. My brick work on end of my home cracked from the snow. Has been there since 1961 with not crack. The weight of the snow pushed the foundation down first time ever. We have had over 30" up there in the past but was light a fluffy like up north.

At work one time it started to snow and they said people could leave work if they wanted. One guy that was a die maker from Michigan was laughing at everyone with a little snow having to leave. When he left he got to end of drive at plant slid across the main road and crashed in the ditch. Snow is different in the south. I have driven from Tenn to Montana in snow and ran 55 mph at slowest. You will not do that is a wet southern snow.

No it was to code it was just a heavy snow. They use the same codes nation wide or that is what I was told by inspector of my garage. My brick work on end of my home cracked from the snow. Has been there since 1961 with not crack. The weight of the snow pushed the foundation down first time ever. We have had over 30" up there in the past but was light a fluffy like up north.

At work one time it started to snow and they said people could leave work if they wanted. One guy that was a die maker from Michigan was laughing at everyone with a little snow having to leave. When he left he got to end of drive at plant slid across the main road and crashed in the ditch. Snow is different in the south. I have driven from Tenn to Montana in snow and ran 55 mph at slowest. You will not do that is a wet southern snow.

"Snow is different in the south. I have driven from Tenn to Montana in snow and ran 55 mph at slowest. You will not do that is a wet southern snow."

Snow is different in the south. I have driven from Tenn to Montana in snow and ran 55 mph at slowest. You will not do that is a wet southern snow.
Snow is also different when it is below zero. We just got about 1/2" yesterday, but the ground/roads are beyond frozen due to the cold snap. The temperature has been below or near zero for a while (high yesterday of 3, high today of 1, lows in the double minus). That 1/2" ends up behaving like ice and it is very slippery. Deceiving because it is just a little of snow, but makes the roads behave like an ice rink.

Wet heavy snow is the worst for sure and you may well be right that in the south, the snow is a bit warmer therefore wetter than up north. I would have thought that building codes would allow for that weight and then some. But then one can't prepare for every scenario.

\

I've lived in one area where it got to 40° below zero (F) at night and another where it could get to around 120° (F), so have seen it all.

Early in my working career I spent one winter plowing snow in the Sierra's, from Carson City to South Tahoe, with a couple of stints on a snowblower when the roads closed, like when it snowed 8 feet over the summit one night. So, I've driven in virtally every condition imaginable. Sometimes the white-outs were so bad the only way you knew where the edge of the road was by bumping the guardrail with the plow blade. Interesting thing, we never chained up the snowplow trucks that had the sanders in the bed, the weight gave them enough traction.

The last two winters my wife and I spent in Reno it snowed a total of 8 feet one winter and 6 feet the next. We moved to Las Vegas in 2006 and I haven't shoveled snow since :)

Here are a couple of jokes, one about a southerner moving north, and the other about a northerner moving south.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-diary-of-a-southerner-who-moved-north

I've lived in one area where it got to 40° below zero (F) at night and another where it could get to around 120° (F), so have seen it all.

Early in my working career I spent one winter plowing snow in the Sierra's, from Carson City to South Tahoe, with a couple of stints on a snowblower when the roads closed, like when it snowed 8 feet over the summit one night. So, I've driven in virtally every condition imaginable. Sometimes the white-outs were so bad the only way you knew where the edge of the road was by bumping the guardrail with the plow blade. Interesting thing, we never chained up the snowplow trucks that had the sanders in the bed, the weight gave them enough traction.

The last two winters my wife and I spent in Reno it snowed a total of 8 feet one winter and 6 feet the next. We moved to Las Vegas in 2006 and I haven't shoveled snow since :)

Here are a couple of jokes, one about a southerner moving north, and the other about a northerner moving south.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-diary-of-a-southerner-who-moved-north
Good link there Don , funny!

Today was a blue sky 70 degrees with zero wind. So nice that I took my wife's Boxster S for a nice road burn in the Hill Country here.

Back