Is this for the window washer system

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballaratcastle

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible. Just imported from the USA as an unfinished project.
[url=https://ibb.co/gXU4Qy][img]https://preview.ibb.co/f0tW5y/Mustang.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi team.

There is a small plastic fitting screwed just above the firewall. I’m not sure if it is for the window washer system or for a vacuum tube of some sort. 

The car came with no washer bottle pump or lines or even nozzles. I’ve purchased the kits new but have no idea of the plumbing routing of the tubes. The nozzles I have ordered mount somewhere on the bonnet I understand not the grille in front of the windscreen

Last edited by a moderator:
Your fitting doesn't look it belongs to the car, but I had an original windshield washer fitting attached to the driver side cowl on my car. A member on here told me there shouldn't be a spare washer nozzle anywhere on our cars. Her's a pic of my extra nozzle.

That's only half of the firewall connection. It has four outlets, two each side. There should be an identical section to the right of the screw in the middle of the plastic piece. Look at a vacuum schematic to see where the tube connections go. This manifold connection will ( should ? ) be available through the parts suppliers. See more info on this site as well.

The windscreen washer is a totally different set up. The nozzles mount right up under the back ( windscreen ) end of the hood ( bonnet ) There have been other posts on this as well. The bottle with pump are many $$ genuine or NOS. You can buy aftermarket versions but check that your wiper / washer switches work first.

Keep digging - it's all here in various forms. Even some of the engine bay pics will show what you need by default.

PKJ

The PIC is her...

This is the first connection from the washer pump to left side windscreen nozzle.  The screw fits in a hole under the rear ( windscreen ) edge of the hood.  Incoming tube from the pump goes to one of the straight through nipples, the other side of this goes across to the right hand side nozzle.  The outlet at the screw hooks up to the left side nozzle.  Look for other posts about this or just study engine bay images carefully - you will often see this in the background.

PKJ

Thanks guys. I was googling engine bay images but the original engines with the big blue aircleaners tended to obscure the fitting. That fitting was one of the few things left in the engine bay when I got the car.

I had searched window washer on the forums but not a lot came up. As the aircleaner and set up is now different (my vacuum lines are all bigger and plumbed into the carb) I guess this fitting isn't needed. I did buy an OEM looking washer tank and the hose kit so I'll hunt for pictures of the washer set up. Cheers

Thanks everyone

The photos will be helpful for setting up the nozzles. I will google some engine bays of Mach 1's to see where the best place to run the tube from the washer bottle now. 

Regards

Steve

Thanks everyone

The photos will be helpful for setting up the nozzles. I will google some engine bays of Mach 1's to see where the best place to run the tube from the washer bottle now. 

Regards

Steve
The hose going from the washer tank to the hood is in with the wires going over the LH shock tower to the firewall. Then goes and has a plastic nipple and plugs into the short hose hanging out of the yellow hood I posted.

Thanks everyone

Regards

Steve
The hose going from the washer tank to the hood is in with the wires going over the LH shock tower to the firewall. Then goes and has a plastic nipple and plugs into the short hose hanging out of the yellow hood I posted.
Awesome thanks so much

So I successfully mounted my washer nozzles and hoses, connected my plug to the new washer bottle and pump and gave it a test run. I pushed the washer knob for a few seconds and the pump ran. I released the knob then re-pushed it and nothing. Thought maybe a fuse had blown but the wipers still worked so presume it cant be a fuse as I presume the wipers would be on the same circuit. I was by myself and without a volt meter so couldn't test the plug was giving voltage to the new pump. Does anyone know if the washer is on a separate circuit and it could have blown a fuse under the dash?

Check the top left-most fuse; I think that is for the washer line. That fuse also controls the radio, backup lights, and a couple other things. If your backup lights don't work: bingo!

Check the top left-most fuse; I think that is for the washer line.  That fuse also controls the radio, backup lights, and a couple other things.  If your backup lights don't work: bingo!
Thanks I'll ring the compliance centre and get them to check. By top left do you mean the main fuse holder under the dash where the loom plugs in. So top left would be the most forward fuse towards firewall on drivers side??

It would be the top fuse on the side with the diagonal slot for the fuse buss extender.

It would be the top fuse on the side with the diagonal slot for the fuse buss extender.
Thanks. The compliance workshop has got back to me. She only failed on right rear brake light and Indictator not working

Rh front lights not working properly

Headlights need aligning

Rear brakes need adjusting .

I tested all the lights on Saturday just before taking car there Monday so I guess it must be an earth or fuse .

Everything fixable by the compliance workshop

Back