Tachometer for 73 Mach 1 broken

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToBe

Reaction score
My Car
73' Mustang Mach 1 in red with a 351C H-Code
Hi there.

i got a complete instrument cluster for my 73 mustang mach one a couple month ago. Even got a shiny replacement harness from someone on this forum for it (tnx @midlife  ::thumb:: ).

Today i found out that the tachometer seems to be broken. I cant find any replacement parts at any of the usual online shops or ebay. Do you guys have any advice on where i could find one?

Tnx!

After my last try (and fail) with replacing a complete cluster on my old 69 camaro, i used a professional oldtimer/mustang garage this time. ;)

I did not talk to them yet, but they wrote me an email that the tachometer was broken. So no details yet, but i'm pretty sure they know how to connect the tach correctly ... or so i hope.

I will add more info tomorrow after a call.

The tach plugs into the dash harness through a two-pin connector. If you ordered a tach dash harness from Midlife, it'll have the mating plug.

The Ford tach is a current driven unit and does not function off a standalone signal, but from the power pulses passing through it. The tach can be made inop if you have an aftermarket ignition and have modified the wiring. There are adapters available to make everything work together.

If your tach is truly broken, PM me and I will provide a reputable repair place for you.

Does the car still run with the tach inserted into the electrical circuit? If so, the problem is in the gauge itself; if the car cannot start and run, then it is the input transformer of the tach itself.

well this might be a dumb reply.. but mine stopped working too... i was advised to smack the dash while engine is running. might be sticking as mine was.
I love dumb replies - this is exactly what I have done.  Depends on the phases of the moon as well.  I just ignore it now.  Sometimes just comes on during normal driving, other times, nobody home. :shootself:

PKJ

well this might be a dumb reply.. but mine stopped working too... i was advised to smack the dash while engine is running. might be sticking as mine was.
I love dumb replies - this is exactly what I have done.  Depends on the phases of the moon as well.  I just ignore it now.  Sometimes just comes on during normal driving, other times, nobody home. :shootself:

PKJ
Haha!!  Mine sticks on fire up once in a while and I smack the dash and it works like a charm!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just talked to the mechanic. He sais, he has the original schematics of the car and tachometer, but it didnt work.

So if you guys know of any "speciality" or something the mechanic might have missed, it would be great if you could give me some good advices. I'll relay them to him.

Back