getting ready to pull the differential

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 conv. 250 inline 6 black int. orange paint
[url=https://ibb.co/ifut7w][img]https://preview.ibb.co/dHY9fG/IMG_0824.jpg[/img][/url]
so i'm getting close to removing the differential  3rd member and i can't seem to find out how much it weighs . i think its about 60 lb  seems like a tough lift for one guy on his back . any ideas on how to get it out by yourself and how much it weighs

so i'm getting close to removing the differential  3rd member and i can't seem to find out how much it weighs . i think its about 60 lb  seems like a tough lift for one guy on his back . any ideas on how to get it out by yourself and how much it weighs
That weight sounds about right.  I used a floor jack to balance the 3rd member on, and then lowered it down very carefully.  The key is to get it to rest on the bottom of the bolt flange and ring gear while lowering it.

Just did it a couple days ago by myself. It weighs 80 pounds from what I have read. I just put my floor jack under it and was able to do it by myself.

Remove wheels and brake drums

Put brake drums back on inside out with lug nuts...you can then use these to pull the axles out. Works if you don't have a slide hammer available.

Unbolt driveshaft and remove or support leaving end in transmission.

Remove differential to axle housing nuts and washers, use screw driver to separate the pieces. Let oil drain for a little bit.

Slide floor jack under and pull away while using screw driver to separate pieces.

Total time less than 30 minutes.

Good Luck!

LOL, That device is what my old boss would have called "constructively lazy". Just get under there and pull the darn thing. I changed one in my first car in the road on two bumper jacks. It locked up could not get out of road so I fixed it right there. Broke an axle once in the KMart parking lot in Asheville in the middle of the winter. Had to pull the rear to get the broke stub of axle out. Like to froze that night.

Just Do It, and enjoy the fresh aroma of the rear grease.

If it is Traction Loc don't forget the friction modifier to add to the fresh grease.

I've done them laying on my back, gear lube dripping on my face. 5 years ago I would have still done them that way, but not now. I had back surgery two years ago, due to a lifetime of lifting heavy objects, shoulder joints don't work so good now, either.

So, I call it getting smarter as I got older. All it takes is one slip and a heavy object with sharp edges dropping onto your sternum can cause some serious damage. Rolling it over onto the concrete floor with your hand between the carrier and the concrete floor isn't all that fun, either.

David, there are quite a few times I sure would have liked to have something  like Don C posted. I used to do the "Manly Thing That Manly Men Do" and wrestle Top Loaders and 9" "Hog Heads" out from underneath another wounded hot rod while on my back. Plenty of 90W gear oil dripping in my face and soaking up in my then long hair. And the friction modifier for the Traction lok back in those days stunk so bad you could smell it across the street!!

A back that was hurt in a drag racing accident  and another time when my car was hit by drunk driver have taken their toll. Then there were all those 428's we were stuffing  into Torinos and Mustangs with a shoehorn....

I believe I would even trade a shifter bezel with hair that rubbed your stick for one of those floor jack adapters!!   :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, we all probably did too much with just get it done, lol. I keep putting off the neck surgery to get my Mach 1 ready for the museum. I just bear the pain and drink way too much for sure. They will not give you any pain medication at all today. If an aspirin or ibuprofen does not work then not much more to go with but alcohol.

I will get my car going by April or will just die trying to do it.

Pain has a way of becoming enjoyment I think. When you wake up you know it will be there.

Back