Nice 71

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That grill is suspect too. Unless I’m wrong, it looks like a 71 grill. I wonder what the story with that is.

Car is a 72 Sportsroof so would have a standard grill which was the same as on 71 Mustang. 72's with the Q engine code received a Mach 1 style hood as part of the engine option but with no ram air. There is speculation that 72's built before 1/72 had ram air as a available option on the 4bl engines.  Boss1Ray and I have have been trying to pin that down, stay tuned!  Ram air is not listed on the option list along with the ever present Magnums, so is just extra bling on this one

Is strange to see 73 Mach 1 stripes on this 72, since the 71-72  "Boss" stripes and Mach 1 decals seem to find their way on just about everything including  73 Mustangs.

Still a nice car and could be made correct with little effort.

Here's my 72 351C 2V Mach 1 back in 1981. I bought this car as a parts car for 500 bucks cdn. The engine was sludged up and the lower quarters were rusted out.

At the time I also had the red 351 C 4V Mach 1 and I intended to strip the disc brakes and PS off it. Instead I cleaned out the engine got it running and fixed the body. It was repainted in the original Light Pewter and a buddy who had a 73 Mach 1 gave me all but 1 small piece of the stripe kit, so I put it on and just painted in the missing piece. That was my winter beater. Note the snow tires!

Here's a pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car is a 72 Sportsroof so would have a standard grill which was the same as on 71 Mustang. 72's with the Q engine code received a Mach 1 style hood as part of the engine option but with no ram air. There is speculation that 72's built before 1/72 had ram air as a available option on the 4bl engines.  Boss1Ray and I have have been trying to pin that down, stay tuned!  Ram air is not listed on the option list along with the ever present Magnums, so is just extra bling on this one

Is strange to see 73 Mach 1 stripes on this 72, since the 71-72  "Boss" stripes and Mach 1 decals seem to find their way on just about everything including  73 Mustangs.

Still a nice car and could be made correct with little effort.

-----------------

Well said Steve. I've been looking for examples with good documentation.  The before 1/72 is still good for change. Tough to nail down.  So still speculating!!!!!   ::thumb::

Ray

Back