Rear speakers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm1952

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
I am putting a new radio in my 71 Mach 1 fastback. I know that rear speakers did not come in them factory. Can some of you show me some pics of finished product that have done that. Trying to figure out the grills and such. Thanks

Its pretty simple really. There are cut outs in the package tray. Remove the package tray cover and you will see them. Then you need to decide if you want to cut up the original cover or not. Personally I would order a new one and cut it up and keep the old one in a closet somewhere to preserve it.

You may need to enlarge the holes depending on the speakers you want to put in. You could do a fine job with some nice 6x9's or a nice component set in the back with the tweeters in the sail panel.

http://www.pro-touring.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29808&stc=1&d=1240416772

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a picture that shows anything of the back speakers I put in my Mach...…….. and that was the intent, you can't see them. As these cars never had rear speakers, I wanted to keep them hidden. My car has a standard rear seat by the way.

Here's what I did; I bought a nice pair of 4"diam speakers. They will fit right into the steel frame. I bought a 4' x8' sheet of 1/8th" hardboard (had to buy a full sheet). I took the old package tray that some moron had fitted 6x9's in that looked like shit as a template and cut a couple of new blanks. Measured the hole locations and cut the two holes to the diameter of the cones, i.e. smaller than the OD of the speakers. Then I made up a frame out of 1/2" ply and screwed them to the board. That way there is more thickness to screw the speakers in to. This 'frame' will still fit into the steel without cutting it.

The material I found to cover it was sold as "generic automotive carpet" but actually is more like a thick felt like material and is almost see-though and perfect for letting sound through. The result is invisible rear speakers that have all the sound I want and the package tray looks somewhat stock to the casual viewer.

You will still need a double stereo speaker in the dash. NPD sell them as do others.

Just a suggestion if you don't want speakers showing.

Geoff.

Bah. You can rent either my Wife (SWMBO) or my MIL (SWMBATH) and put them in the back seat. You'll wish not to have a rear speaker at all after that.

SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed

SWMBATH: She Who Must Be Attila The Hun

Bah.  You can rent either my Wife (SWMBO) or my MIL (SWMBATH) and put them in the back seat.  You'll wish not to have a rear speaker at all after that.

SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed

SWMBATH: She Who Must Be Attila The Hun
LOL, Randy you must be totally under the thumb  :p

I mounted my 6x9 speakers under the metal package tray piece, that way I didn’t have to cut the metal piece. I then cut holes in the fiber board package tray piece and mounted the speaker grills to that.

View attachment 41266

Back