Slop Gray question.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Trying to find a gray that looks decent.  I found a ford gray that don’t look too bad but it may be a little light.  What do you guys think??

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to find a gray that looks decent.  I found a ford gray that don’t look too bad but it may be a little light.  What do you guys think??  

https://ibb.co/Ry3psWf[/URL]

AF6-AC315-06-DD-4-BA9-BDB1-64376-C12-AAE6.jpg

Yeah, sorry way too light imo. The NPD slop grey is not too far off black. Let me dig through my pics for that.

NPD used to sell a slop gray that was dark greenish gray which matched my sept built Dearborn 73 vert (first pic below). Last I looked NPD still lists it as Dark Slop Gray Part Number AP-SLPD, but they have not had it stock in years. The second pic is of an unrestored June built 73 vert. Notice the gray is grayer like Stanglover's gray. NPD calls this Medium Slop Gray AP-SLP.

Yes the Ford Corporate Gray (of the mid 80"s) is too light IMO.

If you spray from a gun you can either MIX if you have a system or try the VW code

2001 VW Cinza Vrano Code L17F

Mark

The slop gray was a continuously changing color. If you were to take 50 different colors and put all together they would come out gray. That is the neutral color. That is why Ford went from red oxide to gray for primer.

I have compared the NPD Slop Gray to my original Mach 1 and it is close. That is just one moment in time, lol.

If you were ever into black and white photography in the day like I was there was a gray card. It was the balance between white and black that you took light meter readings from. It is pretty close to Slop Gray.

There is not a perfect one but the NPD is very close to my original.

Rackerm, I have a 2017 NPD catalog that has "new" beside AP-SLPD Dark Slop Gray. Maybe they bought it back now.

They say "we made this version towards the dark side based on some parts that showed a different gray on the same car"

Maybe worth a phone call if a person wanted that darker color.

My paint is the AP-SLP. I like it.

Geoff.

Rackerm, I have a 2017 NPD catalog that has "new" beside AP-SLPD Dark Slop Gray. Maybe they bought it back now.

They say "we made this version towards the dark side based on some parts that showed a different gray on the same car"

Geoff.
Geoff, I checked NPD online and it says Out Of Stock. 

Thanks,

Rich

Geoff.
Geoff, I checked NPD online and it says Out Of Stock. 

Thanks,

Rich
  My catalog was a couple of years out of date, but thanks for checking. Hopefully they will still have some AP-SLP in Detroit come Spring!

Geoff.

Sorry I should have been more specific, the NPD Dark Slop Gray Part Number AP-SLPD is still out of stock acording to thier website.

Sorry I should have been more specific, the NPD Dark Slop Gray Part Number AP-SLPD is still out of stock acording to thier website.
 Yes, that is what I took it you meant.

I meant I was hoping they would have the lighter slop gray in stock come Spring.

Geoff.

Thanks for all the input fellas.  I think I found a color that’s a little better than what I originally had.  It’s rustoleum slate gray. What do you guys think?? I wanted to get these done this weekend so I didn’t want to wait and ship from NPD.  1 can plus shipping was over $20. I got this at Walmart for $4. 

Yep, I think that'll do it. There's no "right slop gray" so job done!

Other parts are the headlight bucket side supports, hood bracket and the upright as well as the spring covers, but I'm sure you've got all that in hand by now.

Looking great, post a pic when done.

Geoff.

Thanks for all the input fellas.  I think I found a color that’s a little better than what I originally had.  It’s rustoleum slate gray. What do you guys think?? I wanted to get these done this weekend so I didn’t want to wait and ship from NPD.  1 can plus shipping was over $20. I got this at Walmart for $4. 

On the way to my local WalMart now to see if they have any, it was my plan to do some painting this weekend too. Thanks for the pic.

Tom

Back