Slop Gray question.

turtle5353

Trying to find a gray that looks decent.  I found a ford gray that don’t look too bad but it may be a little light.  What do you guys think??

FDDC97-C5-D3-D0-4-E67-83-B6-730648045249.jpg

AF6-AC315-06-DD-4-BA9-BDB1-64376-C12-AAE6.jpg

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to find a gray that looks decent.  I found a ford gray that don’t look too bad but it may be a little light.  What do you guys think??  

[/url]

AF6-AC315-06-DD-4-BA9-BDB1-64376-C12-AAE6.jpg

Yeah, sorry way too light imo. The NPD slop grey is not too far off black. Let me dig through my pics for that.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

NPD used to sell a slop gray that was dark greenish gray which matched my sept built Dearborn 73 vert (first pic below). Last I looked NPD still lists it as Dark Slop Gray Part Number AP-SLPD, but they have not had it stock in years. The second pic is of an unrestored June built 73 vert. Notice the gray is grayer like Stanglover's gray. NPD calls this Medium Slop Gray AP-SLP.

20160317-125712.jpg

1973-ford-mustang-coilspring-x.jpg

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

The slop gray was a continuously changing color. If you were to take 50 different colors and put all together they would come out gray. That is the neutral color. That is why Ford went from red oxide to gray for primer.

I have compared the NPD Slop Gray to my original Mach 1 and it is close. That is just one moment in time, lol.

If you were ever into black and white photography in the day like I was there was a gray card. It was the balance between white and black that you took light meter readings from. It is pretty close to Slop Gray.

There is not a perfect one but the NPD is very close to my original.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Rackerm, I have a 2017 NPD catalog that has "new" beside AP-SLPD Dark Slop Gray. Maybe they bought it back now.

They say "we made this version towards the dark side based on some parts that showed a different gray on the same car"

Maybe worth a phone call if a person wanted that darker color.

My paint is the AP-SLP. I like it.

Geoff.

Geoff.

Agreed with what has been shared thus far.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Rackerm, I have a 2017 NPD catalog that has "new" beside AP-SLPD Dark Slop Gray. Maybe they bought it back now.

They say "we made this version towards the dark side based on some parts that showed a different gray on the same car"

Geoff.

Geoff, I checked NPD online and it says Out Of Stock. 

Thanks,

Rich

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

Geoff.

Geoff, I checked NPD online and it says Out Of Stock. 

Thanks,

Rich

My catalog was a couple of years out of date, but thanks for checking. Hopefully they will still have some AP-SLP in Detroit come Spring!

Geoff.

Geoff.

Sorry I should have been more specific, the NPD Dark Slop Gray Part Number AP-SLPD is still out of stock acording to thier website.

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

Sorry I should have been more specific, the NPD Dark Slop Gray Part Number AP-SLPD is still out of stock acording to thier website.

Yes, that is what I took it you meant.

I meant I was hoping they would have the lighter slop gray in stock come Spring.

Geoff.

Geoff.

Thanks for all the input fellas.  I think I found a color that’s a little better than what I originally had.  It’s rustoleum slate gray. What do you guys think?? I wanted to get these done this weekend so I didn’t want to wait and ship from NPD.  1 can plus shipping was over $20. I got this at Walmart for $4. 

B12568-E4-49-C6-4094-9599-A383338890-F2.jpg

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

Yep, I think that'll do it. There's no "right slop gray" so job done!

Other parts are the headlight bucket side supports, hood bracket and the upright as well as the spring covers, but I'm sure you've got all that in hand by now.

Looking great, post a pic when done.

Geoff.

Geoff.

Thanks for all the input fellas.  I think I found a color that’s a little better than what I originally had.  It’s rustoleum slate gray. What do you guys think?? I wanted to get these done this weekend so I didn’t want to wait and ship from NPD.  1 can plus shipping was over $20. I got this at Walmart for $4. 

B12568-E4-49-C6-4094-9599-A383338890-F2.jpg

On the way to my local WalMart now to see if they have any, it was my plan to do some painting this weekend too. Thanks for the pic.

Tom

Thanks guys! I doubt we will be doing any suspension stuff underneath, just the underhood stuff.  

Here’s a pic of the paint I used. $4 at wallyworld.  Can’t beat it! 

E0-B0261-B-625-C-4-F6-F-8-A0-D-E68630316-E06.jpg

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

Thanks guys! I doubt we will be doing any suspension stuff underneath, just the underhood stuff.  

Here’s a pic of the paint I used. $4 at wallyworld.  Can’t beat it! 

E0-B0261-B-625-C-4-F6-F-8-A0-D-E68630316-E06.jpg

Now I see the real problem, you were using the can to the left!

Geoff.

+1, way too light, needs to be darker

Ayinger-Celebrator-Doppelbock.png

Thats a very nice German double bock!

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

I was just trying to stay in the scope of the discussion about color shades.

Uncle Sam treated me to 2-1/2 years in Germany, Pilsner, Bock, and Doppelbock were all good. I sampled them many times, just to make sure my taste buds were OK.  ::beer::

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein