Leaf springs U-Bolt recommendations

I bought the Dayton 351-450 from here: https://www.stengelbros.net/361-450-Round-Bend-12-x-2875-x-6875-Grade-5--U-bolt-Kit_p_376.html

These are 6 7/8 long, 1/2 diameter and with a 2 7/8" bend. They come with nuts and washers. The nuts are longer than standard to help with thread engagement.

The bend I measured on mine was 0.1" more than 2 7/8", but according to the vendor it was within spec. I ended up closing them in the vise slightly until the bolts were spaced to fit in the plate holes. I also drilled the plate to 1/2". Based on my experience, I think the 2 3/4" would have fit well.

I installed mine yesterday and after tightening they hug the differential tightly. You can tighten the 1/2" to 65 ft-lbs per the vendor's spec. The length of the bolt worked well with my 4.5 leaf spring and 4 degree shim plate. I have an about extra 1/2" of threads left at the bottom.

Tony, I'm glad the "Stengelbros" website worked out for you!

Don't be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic! ::thumb::

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic