Surprised!!!!! Q code mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdvmarto

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
After waiting five months my mach 1 finally arrived, the car was imported as an F code mustang which is what the Vin on the dash is, I purchased a Marti report but was confused as the original colour was not correct to the original color that was evident behind the back seats, anyhow did some more searching and found the Buck Tag which shows the car as being a Q code Mustang, I purchased a Marti Report and found that the colours and drivetrain are correct to the VIN on Buck Tag. I am absolutley stoked that the car is a Q code mach 1 but I am also concerned that the car may have a chequered past.

I purchased the car from a large dealer and have been back in contact with him and asked for him to do a search to ensure it is not a stolen vehicle, still waiting for him to get back to me. Can anyone tell me if you have a national data base that can be searched for Stolen vehicles, I am in Australia so not very familiar with who to use for the search. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0552.JPG

Thanks Mate, hope it as you said just a dash swap. The only other questionable is that the Title was also for the F code vehicle.

Great looking 73! There are partial VIN numbers located under the top edge of the front fenders. You would have to take the fender off to see it. See the pic below. I agree, the VIN on the dash is easy to switch out.

DSCF4723.jpg

DSCF4725.jpg

Great looking 73! There are partial VIN numbers located under the top edge of the front fenders. You would have to take the fender off to see it. See the pic below. I agree, the VIN on the dash is easy to switch out.

DSCF4723.jpg

DSCF4725.jpg
Thanks for the Pictures and extra info, The paint on the car is pretty smick so didn't really want to have to take the fender off unless totally necessary. I am pretty well 100% sure that it is a Q code car as per the Buck tag. The Marti report I got for this VIN is spot on to the original paint colour, interior, drive train etc. Really hopeing that the car comes back clean, otherwise the dealer will be re-imbursing me and the car will take a long trip back to the USA.

I am surprized that the car made it through customs! You definitely need to know which VIN is the car's correct VIN. I would hope that the buck tag is not the correct buck tag for the car (although facts seem to point otherwise). If the VIN's on the fender apron's do not match the VIN on your dash (and thus on your title) you have a problematic car.

Take precise measurements in several locations and then loosen the driver's fender. You may be able to wedge something (carefully) between the fender and the apron and with a mirror from underneath read the VIN numbers.

I will be anxious to hear how it all turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
To take the fenders off & then be able to reinstall in the same location remove the rearmost bolt and then drill a small nail sized hole under where the bolt head would cover to hole once the bolt is reinstalled. Then drill a second hole at the first fender bolt. Remove the remaining bolts and remove fender to inspect the hidden vin. To reinstall the fender, hang the fender on the car and very loosely reinstall the bolts. Put a small nail in each of the holes you drilled to perfectly line up the fender, tighten the middle bolts, then install & tighten the front and last bolts. The fender will be in the same location as before.

To take the fenders off & then be able to reinstall in the same location remove the rearmost bolt and then drill a small nail sized hole under where the bolt head would cover to hole once the bolt is reinstalled. Then drill a second hole at the first fender bolt. Remove the remaining bolts and remove fender to inspect the hidden vin. To reinstall the fender, hang the fender on the car and very loosely reinstall the bolts. Put a small nail in each of the holes you drilled to perfectly line up the fender, tighten the middle bolts, then install & tighten the front and last bolts. The fender will be in the same location as before.
Don, from experience???????????:p

I think you're wishing it's a Q code. If numbers matching bothers you that much, then I would simply take the fender off to confirm and also check to make sure the vin matches the engine block with lights, camera, snake mirrors etc... do whatever it takes to relieve the anxiety and stress. I would if something didn't add up. Good luck and it's a beautiful stang!

Q Code,

Those are some great videos, I hope you do some more because I'm doing my cowl too.

Just want to point out on this thread before "vdvmarto" starts tearing his heater box out, that's not a vin that you found on the firewall. Take another look. It's an engineering number for the firewall panel.

Keep up the good work on your videos, hope to see more.

Q Code,

Those are some great videos, I hope you do some more because I'm doing my cowl too.

Just want to point out on this thread before "vdvmarto" starts tearing his heater box out, that's not a vin that you found on the firewall. Take another look. It's an engineering number for the firewall panel.

Keep up the good work on your videos, hope to see more.
Thanks 71 !! I'm going to have check that # again when I get back on the stang..come the end of sept..I could have sworn we did check it, & it wasn't a full vin but the last bunch of #'s in my vin. I have a bunch more vids on you tube & my site www.saturdaymorninggarage.com Enjoy !

does the vin number on your title match the buck tag or the dash plate? i hope it was just a simple dash replacement with out removing the old vin..but...that is very odd man..i hope the best..its a pretty car..looks lot like my red 73 mach.

The VIN on your import approval paper is what your local rego branch will be looking for on your car when you take it in for registration, so that's the one you need to find. Also when you are going for the Roadworthy Certificate you need to make sure your mechanic uses the same one as the import certificate.

The VIN on your import approval paper is what your local rego branch will be looking for on your car when you take it in for registration, so that's the one you need to find. Also when you are going for the Roadworthy Certificate you need to make sure your mechanic uses the same one as the import certificate.
I would say if you really need to know then your going to have to look at the shock tower apron & pull a fender to find out for sure. What I did on my car since I replaced the shock towers is cut out the vin from the damaged towers & put them away for safe keeping with the cars other important documents. Since I have so much photo & video proof of the work it's a non issue. Where i could see a red flag is if the inspector looks at the buck tag vs the title & dash vin..could be a problem

Back