Any tips for removing power steering pump ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baz70

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1, White
As part of my engine and trans removal project, I'm now at the power steering pump removal.

As i intend to strip and paint the engine compartment/bay i would like to remove all ancillaries inc. PS assembly and hoses.

I've disconnected power steering pump from the bracket and put it to the side.

I have been unable to remove the hose connectors from pump asnd wanted to know if there was a specific path to success. I have been known to round the brass connectors so want to avoid an expensive replacement.

flip a coin google

As part of my engine and trans removal project, I'm now at the power steering pump removal.

As i intend to strip and paint the engine compartment/bay i would like to remove all ancillaries inc. PS assembly and hoses.

I have been unable to remove the hose connectors from pump asnd wanted to know if there was a specific path to success. I have been known to round the brass connectors so want to avoid an expensive replacement.

First, go treat yourself to a GOOD set of Flare wrenches. Never use adjustable or old worn out wrenches. There should be no issue removing the pump. I see you have a PS oil cooler, nice piece to have!

Oops, sorry I meant "spanners"

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

First, go treat yourself to a GOOD set of Flare wrenches. Never use adjustable or old worn out wrenches. There should be no issue removing the pump. I see you have a PS oil cooler, nice piece to have!

Geoff.
ha, thanks. I just ordered as set of "imperial" wrenches/spanners as i was fed up of trying to get the metrics to fit.

I take it the flare wrenches are the ones for "plumbing" like fittings, and should they also be "imperial" measures (3/8, 5/16 etc) if so i will order them as well.

Remember not to use anything that is going to dent the casing when you reinstall and tighten the belt up. If you dent the casing when you lever it to tighten the belt chances are it will leak and you will have to replace it

You have the PS cooker mounted to the pump. You have two connections that need to be undone to remove the pump from the car.

Path of the fluid is: pressure hose -> steering box -> return hose to cooler-> return hose to pump

Remove the worm drive hose clamp on the return hose from the box to the the cooler - at the cooler end. See you pic I notated, you want to remove the line that is closes to the engine.

Flare nut on the adapter line to pressure hose union. DO NOT damage the adapter line, as they are not reproduced. The line nut on my pump is 5/8", the hose end is 1". Yours may vary.

If you have difficulty, leave the box in place and you can remove the lines at the steering box end if need be and work on it on the bench later.

When you disconnect the fitting from the "S" shaped tube make sure you put a wrench on the fitting closest to the pump, also. Do not twist the "S" shaped tube, extremely difficult to replace. If you are going to remove the hoses from the steering gear a set of flare (crow's feet) socket wrenches and an extension are very useful, saves on wear and tear on the knuckles.

Geoff.
ha, thanks. I just ordered as set of "imperial" wrenches/spanners as i was fed up of trying to get the metrics to fit.

I take it the flare wrenches are the ones for "plumbing" like fittings, and should they also be "imperial" measures (3/8, 5/16 etc) if so i will order them as well.
 Here's a pic of a 5/8" AF (across flats) flare wrench/spanner US sizes are most often measured as the size across the flats of the NUT. For the fitting nearest the pump as described by others, you'll need a 5/8" AF, the hose nut is 1" AF. Got me confused for many years when I first came here from the UK.

Also, please buy PROPER hose clamps, not those ugly gear clamps things!

Geoff.

thanks guys, the level of detail is really helpful. I will wait for the flare wrenches i ordered before i remove. I don't want to mess this up and have to search for a replacement part. Meantime i will work on the transmission...

Geoff, on the hose clamps, I'm not sure which ones you mean. I was going to re-use the clamps i already had per the pics (I noticed one was missing), or get the same ones, i assaume they were the original factory look ? I have so much to learn....

thanks guys, the level of detail is really helpful. I will wait for the flare wrenches i ordered before i remove. I don't want to mess this up and have to search for a replacement part. Meantime i will work on the transmission...

Geoff, on the hose clamps, I'm not sure which ones you mean. I was going to re-use the clamps i already had per the pics (I noticed one was missing), or get the same ones, i assaume they were the original factory look ? I have so much to learn....
 Clamps are a pet peeve of mine. I only use gear clamps as a temporary fix or while testing. They do have their uses, but only on low tension fittings imo.

here are a couple of pics that show the type I use on heater hoses and the same style on my PS pump. The pic of the PS pump is actually of my friends car and a factory style clamp (I believe), my car is in storage right now. I also use crimp clamps and on fuel lines spring clamps.

Hope this helps.

Geoff.

New post.

I'm sure you know this already so don't take it the wrong way, but many times people, me included, try to undo or do up hose connections and the like by using just the one wrench. Always use proper fitting wrenches on both side of the fitting. In your case in point, one 5/8 flare wrench and one 1" wrench used together.

I meant to mention that earlier, but...………. I forgot!

Geoff.

If you plan to paint the casing, as all need be apart to do it, know that the CJP little kit to rebuild the pump is excellent (for once)

To powder coat or paint, you would need remove the pulley, once that is done, changing the old o-rings and very few other gaskets is really easy. Messy but easy.

In case you'd go for it, I've posted the total removal/reinstall in my project thread...

New post.

I'm sure you know this already so don't take it the wrong way, but many times people, me included, try to undo or do up hose connections and the like by using just the one wrench. Always use proper fitting wrenches on both side of the fitting. In your case in point, one 5/8 flare wrench and one 1" wrench used together.

Geoff.
noted, thanks. I'm taking this a lot slower than originally planned. Waiting for the flare wrenches to arrive. I have a confession. I screwed up on the trans coupling to radiator fittings, and ended up cutting them off so i could remove the rasdiator, as the brass fittings had rounded. The real issue was the fact I was using metric wrenches and as they felt close enough i continued using them. Kind of dum logic really, but it means i need to spend 60 bucks on replacement trans cooler pipes (plus shipping and tax).... so from now on, every nut, bolt and connection comes off with love :)

New post.

Geoff.
.... so from now on, every nut, bolt and connection comes off with love :)
Copy that!

Back