An old tip for painting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
As many of you know, I refurbish various wire harnesses.  One of my pet peeves is trying to clean up a harness with paint all over the taped harness: primer, epoxy, etc. Most of it will simply not come off, particularly if it is old and now baked into the tape.  People do this because they are  too lazy to remove the wiring when painting the engine or trunk compartment, or the dash area.  OK...I can understand laziness, but really?  Seeing a painted wiring harness in a car, whether at a cruise-in, judged show, etc. tells me that owner isn't paying attention to details at all.  

So here's a tip I learned back in 1998 (that's AD, not BC...) when I first got started on Mustang Internet forums.  Simply take aluminum foil and wrap it around your wiring or parts that you don't want to get painted, and then go ahead and paint the compartment to your heart's content.  When the paint is dry, remove the foil and throw it away. 

Surprisingly, I've net seen this simple tip mentioned again in the last 20 years.

Lol, I bet most of the old timers here have done that. Now the trunk wire harness should have trunk spatter paint on it. Was painted after assembled. Some paint on tail light housings, wiring, side marker housing, trap door if a fold down.

I did spend hours washing off the rattle can restore on the 73 vert to get back to the original factory paint in the engine compartment.

Back