Mustang USB-Ports by Lighter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duck, that is something put together by bluto72. See page 607 post # 6,062 of "What Did You Do To Your Car Today". Does look good and has that OE look. I would contact  bluto72 and see if he would share a list of what he used to assemble what you see posted.    :)

Slow typist today. Thanks for posting the link DonC. Could not get the link to post in my reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...so, the usb sockets came with my radio. Like Tekelley22 said, you can get them on Amazon in various flavors. I made sure of this before hacking mine up. You essentially need to whittle it down to fit the lighter bezel as they are way too fat. I used a box cutter and took my time. The ports are encased in a soft , almost rubber-like, plastic so it's not too horrible. Make sure to leave the port end bigger than the insertion end as shown.

To secure it to the dashboard, I used a pipe fitting. I forget what size it was, but I took the socket with me to Lowes and bought a galvanized metal one and a plastic one. Either will bite in to the soft plastic material but you may have to skinny up the socket a bit. Both of the fittings had a gradual taper meaning that it starts threading easy and finished very tight. I had to play with this by shaping the socket to make sure that it threaded on enough to hold the whole contraption tight without swiveling.

I bought a package of male usb solder connectors for the plug side. See here...

https://www.amazon.com/Conwork-10-Pack-Socket-Connector-Plastic/dp/B072DWP59M/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=usb+male&qid=1570232452&sr=8-4

Those also needed hacking like so...

Cut it at the yellow plane, but not all the way. Drill a hole for the plugs center thread. This may take some trial an error, but hey, you got 10 of these buggers! Bend it and flatten it out like shown on the bottom. I made mine such that it could thread on and be mechanically secure before the JB Welding. Back-fill with JB Weld, thread usb thingy on, and pack it full of more JB Weld. A Toothpick helps get it all the way in. Once set, I painted on some ABS glue for a finished look.

And of course, the finished product...

Back