New Member - New Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry

Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Coupe
Hello Everyone.

Just joined but have been looking over the forums and found a lot of great info. I picked up my Mustang project a few months ago and look forward to having a chance to work on her. Title has her as a 71 but the front end suggests 73, still need to pull some panels, do some research and see what's up.

Welcome from Iowa. The VIN will tell you the actual year (the first number of VIN is year). That is a 73 bumper and grill for sure. besides the obvious place on the dash and door jam sticker the vin is also stamped under the driver's side fender.

Welcome from Iowa. The VIN will tell you the actual year (the first number of VIN is year). That is a 73 bumper and grill for sure. besides the obvious place on the dash and door jam sticker the vin is also stamped under the driver's side fender.
The plate and door jam sticker indicate 71. I have to pull the fender to verify that one.

New to Ford's but I thought the mounting from the 71 & 73 bumper were different?

Bumpers & mounts are same for 71-72.

73 are different, fenders&extensions too.

Is there a spacer on rear bumper (between bumper and tail panel)?

Welcome from the northern Netherlands

Bumpers & mounts are same for 71-72.

73 are different, fenders&extensions too.

Is there a spacer on rear bumper (between bumper and tail panel)?

Welcome from the northern Netherlands
Hi Fabrice,

Rear bumper is the 71/72 style mount with a bushing between the mount and frame.

Front and back being 73 only and as its much more complicated to go to 73 from a 71-72 than way around.

I think this is a 73. I'm not familiar with US title system but to me looks like the title year is off for some reason.

Welcome from the UK. Hope to see your mystery resolved
Thanks Pegleg,

Planning to use the project as a restomod excuse to burn some time on the weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure the title and the car match one another.  Otherwise whatever you invest could be lost.  If in doubt get a title issued in your name before doing any major work.
Thanks Jeff73Mach1,

Title is in my name and matches the VIN plate and sticker so should be good there. Picked it up from a salvage yard so had to title it in my name out the gate.

I'm the skeptical type, so if it were me, the first thing I'd do is pull either fender off or at least back enough to read the partial VIN just by the shock tower on the apron top. It is the year and last 6 digits of the VIN on the dash top and door. If not something is hoaky!!

Here's a pic that might help. I've blurred out some numbers, but you get the idea.  Dash tops and doors are way too easy to replace. Hope it all checks out as clearly the car has had some "work" done to it.

I wish you all the best with it,

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the skeptical type, so if it were me, the first thing I'd do is pull either fender off or at least back enough to read the partial VIN just by the shock tower on the apron top. It is the  year and last 6 digits of the VIN on the dash top and door. If not something is hoaky!!

Here's a pic that might help. I've blurred out some numbers, but you get the idea.  Dash tops and doors are way too easy to replace. Hope it all checks out as clearly the car has had some "work" done to it.

Geoff.

Just pulled it off today, starts with a 1 and numbers match.... there is an ugly weld just in front of the tower so looks like the frontend had some work done at some point at a minimum.

My guess is it’s a 71 with some 73 front end parts on it. Good luck on getting it back on the road.
Thanks I'll need all the luck I can get. Definitely the biggest automotive project I have taken on. But since it is for me it's just an investment of time, and money, lots of money :)

I'm the skeptical type, so if it were me, the first thing I'd do is pull either fender off or at least back enough to read the partial VIN just by the shock tower on the apron top. It is the  year and last 6 digits of the VIN on the dash top and door. If not something is hoaky!!

Geoff.

Just pulled it off today, starts with a 1 and numbers match.... there is an ugly weld just in front of the tower so looks like the frontend had some work done at some point at a minimum.
 That's good news. So yes it could be that the front got crunched and 73 parts put on. Again, if it were me, I'd be looking for 71-72 parts for the front. Good used parts should be available. You do have some work to do for sure and there are lots of good guys here to help...……. with advice!!

Geoff.

Back