What colour factory sway bar 71-72 Mach 1s

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baz70

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1, White
ok color then... ;)

I stripped mine of paint today, it was blue, probably aftermarket as the thickness was 1inch or greater. I put some red oxide primer on it, before i go and paint it wanted to confirm what colour was original factory paint. I was originally going to go with eastwood chassis black paint before posting. thanks!

From the MCA judging standards...

F. Suspension and Steering:

Front Natural Parts: Tie rods, tie rod adjustment sleeves, idler arm, drag link, pitman arm, steering box, strut rods, strut washers, sway bar, sway bar end links & mounting brackets, spindles, upper control arms, spring seats. Lower control arms (all have jacking tabs or dimples) may be all natural or black with natural ball joint ends.

Front Semi-Gloss Black Parts: Coil springs (may be natural).

Rear Natural Parts: Leaf springs, leaf spring clamps, spring shackles, shock mount plates, leaf spring U-bolts.

Rear Semi-Gloss Black Parts: Rear sway bar.

From the MCA judging standards...

F. Suspension and Steering:

Front Natural Parts: Tie rods, tie rod adjustment sleeves, idler arm, drag link, pitman arm, steering box, strut rods, strut washers, sway bar, sway bar end links & mounting brackets, spindles, upper control arms, spring seats. Lower control arms (all have jacking tabs or dimples) may be all natural or black with natural ball joint ends.

Front Semi-Gloss Black Parts: Coil springs (may be natural).

Rear Natural Parts: Leaf springs, leaf spring clamps, spring shackles, shock mount plates, leaf spring U-bolts.

Rear Semi-Gloss Black Parts: Rear sway bar.
thanks Jeff, do you know what natural means from a judging perspective ? not looking to win any concours events, just wanted to, where opportunities permitted, keep a "natural" factory look, there now you got me saying it.

As Mike said...

If you look at all the original cars that had "natural" parts they are all rusted. They were just bare metal or sometimes they were bare metal dipped in oil which eventually wore off and they rusted. Most people paint the natural parts with a cast iron color. It is a dark grey metallic sometimes called cast blast.

As Mike said...

If you look at all the original cars that had "natural" parts they are all rusted. They were just bare metal or sometimes they were bare metal dipped in oil which eventually wore off and they rusted. Most people paint the natural parts with a cast iron color. It is a dark grey metallic sometimes called cast blast.
I've ordered some VHT cast iron high temp paint, will use that on the cast iron parts through the restoration. thanks for the insight.

Sorry to add this to an old thread. I have a one owner 72 Mach 1, just started to redo the front end. The sway bar is 7/8 inch, was painted black with 2 color marks on the bottom in the middle. Yellow and green. Found them while sandblasting. Here's 2 pictures. All the other suspension parts followed the MCA standards listed above. The sway bar brackets were natural (rust). My 2 cents.

Also, found a picture of an original Mach1 unrestored, bottom view.  The sway bar looks painted.

Back